Blair County (Hollidaysburg)

thebassman

thebassman

Hey,

My parents just moved to Hollidaysburg, PA and it looks like my wife and I may be heading that direction as well sometime this spring.

I know that there is no better recon than boots on the ground and visiting the local fly shops, but I was wondering if I could get a quick overview of the area.

Oldtown Run is right out their front door and they are a short walk to Frankstown Branch of the Juniata and Beaverdam Branch. We took a trip up that way yesterday for their home inspection and I noticed that there is a ton of water that I am going to have to read up on and visit.

It seemed like everywhere we went there was a stream cutting through meadow or running along the road.

Thanks!

Steven

Hey Steven,

I've done a little bit of exploring in Blair County. I actually do mean only a little bit, but always wanted to check out more. There is some great small stream action around and in Canoe Creek SP.

Frankstown Branch is worth exploring and that's all I'm gonna say about that ;-)

I'd get to know the little j and spruce creek thoroughly. Frankstown branch also looks interesting to cool and warm water FFers.

If you enjoy fishing decent sized wild trout streams then youll find yourself right at home on the little j, I hardly ever venture away from it to fish anywhere else, I've had good success on spring, which is only a half hour longer drive from Altoona but the fish are generally bigger, and there is less people typically on the j.

It's a great area, I know it pretty well. Small mountain streams on the Allegheny front, small-medium limestone streams, the little j, yellow creek, frankstown branch are all close. Outside of the little j, I would just spend time exploring the area.

Tons of good water around as mentioned, and many that aren't mentioned. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions about specific streams or access.

Back