black caddis

sandfly

Little black caddis from the perkiomen watershed.(larva)
size 16 fly

Attachments

• orange caddis.jpg
    orange caddis.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 12
C'mon Sandfly, I thought you might respond to my red legged march fly post since my experiences with them were in the northern tier.

no pic ???
size ???
color of body, wing ???
might help

A hint. Chauny Lively wrote about this hatch in the Pennsylvania Angler years ago.

Sandfly,

You bug burned my go-to fly!!! 😉

The orange caddis pupa has made me a successful fly fisherman. It can resemble dead scuds, eggs, and the caddis itself. I have found orange caddis larve in every stream I have fished from the East Coast to the Rockies. I first read about this fly in an article written by Charlie Meck the Mid-Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide. He mentioned that he used this fly for prospecting. Mr. Meck was dead on. I've slammed fish on this pattern ever since. Every angler should carry this fly in their box.

works wonders on kettle creek during spring..sorry to have burned you...lol...it is a great fly to use on a dropper too.

Sand or midge..link to a pattern or pic?

just a small larva pattern in orange works best, for a pupa just add some deer hair.

Attachments

• 11-2-08 026.jpg
    11-2-08 026.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 11-5-2010 019.jpg
    11-5-2010 019.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 8
Thanks!

I tie mine with burn orange antron wetted w/ spit and dubbed tight. Red wire wrapped between the segmentations. Size 16-20 for this time of the year. But in spring 14-16 is the standard. I also use a bright orange rabbit as a second color which is just as deadly.

Sandfly,

I never used the tubing, you have it at your shop? I might have to pay you a visit within the week

Back