Big Spring Electro fishing video

Mason5419...that was one of the more poorly written yet informative posts on the thread. You could have wrote it without all the name calling and bashing and came out looking pretty cool!

Zak… That was one of the kindest, yet well put replies to a post like that. You could have stooped down to the name calling and bashing in return. You came out looking cool…, well said friend !

geebee wrote:
wow, thats pretty shocking - no pun intended, what a crappy way to treat a pristine stream and wild trout - three guys tramping upstream disturbing sediment, bug and plant life, sending reams of detritus downstream.

then flipping wild trout into one net, flipping them into another then packing them sideways into a tiny unaerated tank until they are measured and then just slung back all in one spot

absolutely stupidity by the PFBC.
Pa-lease, Big Spring is anything but pristine, for 300 years it's been used and abused, mostly by agriculture, but also by quarries. If you want to know what the trout population is doing you have to get into the water.

Mason5419 wrote:
I’ve been witness to so many acts of stupidity over the years that I thought I had seen it all until I started to read the blather on this thread. The comments are off-based and founded in ignorance. I am ashamed to call myself a fly-fisherman, but even more troubling is that this is a commentary on just how ignorant and uninformed many on the forum really are. Dave Weaver’s last post was the only intelligible comment on this entire thread, and to his credit was very accurate.

First of all, there is very little mortality associated with electrofishing surveys such as this; less than 1 percent but no more than 5 percent. From a population dynamics standpoint that is a wash. Look up the concept of a biological compensatory response, then re-evaluate your thoughts.

Secondly, the fish are marked on the first day of the survey and approximately 70 percent are recaptured during the second day. The missing 30 percent are not dead, they avoided capture. Electrofishing is not 100 percent efficient at capturing all the fish in the stream; thus the mark-recapture population estimate. Based on the total number of fish captured during the survey compared to the number of fish captured during the second pass that are marked versus unmarked, a population estimate is generated. For further reference consult Ricker 1975.

The notion that appreciable numbers of fish succumb to delayed mortality after these surveys in absolutely a product of the conspiracy theorists’ imagination. Fish are not left to die underneath the undercut banks. In highly conductive waters such as limestone spring streams direct current is used which is very “fish friendly” compared to other options. The “wands” are the positive and the metal plate on the bottom of the barge is the negative. When exposed to the electrical field, fish experience a galvanotaxis response in which the fish swim towards the positive field or the “wand”. If you notice in the video, the biologists push the anode (wand or positive) up under the undercut banks and when they pull them out trout are following them...galvanataxis.

Finally, I suggest that if you think electrofishing is harming the Big Spring Creek aquatic community, think again and consult the most recent biologist report on the PFBC website. Big Spring has been surveyed nearly annually for at least the last several decades and the trout community continues to thrive. So...if your looking to point the finger at the PFBC as to why you can’t catch trout...well use your imagination as to what I was just thinking!

Finally, if you have complaints about fisheries management regarding Big Spring or other waters in south central PA, don’t complain about it here. Call your local Fisheries Manager! As is turns out, I fly on a jet to get where I need to be, but I absolutely don’t ridicule the pilot and tell him how to do his job...thus endith the first lesson!

P.S.
The white powder is MS-222; the only federally approved fish anesthetic on the market. Clove oil is not legal to use no fish.

Mason thanks for setting these guys straight on the bio-surveys, unfortunately they will never get it and the next time a survey is posted it will start all over again.

I am fairly sure some amount of Clove oil, or whatever its chemical property is called, under various names, is still used in surveys in a number of states. Given its use in many applications and approved for direct human contact, it was always pretty absurd for the FDA to advise against its its use as a sedative for fish where it will be metabolized from an already low dose. Further, I am not an attorney, but there may be a difference between "Not Approved" and "illegal." I am not going to go into the debate any further than this, and those interested can use google.

clove oil is definitely still being used by many research institutions. I was just recently involved in a survey where there was a product called bio something that is basically fda approved clove oil. It sure smelled the same to me.

Chaz wrote:
geebee wrote:
wow, thats pretty shocking - no pun intended, what a crappy way to treat a pristine stream and wild trout - three guys tramping upstream disturbing sediment, bug and plant life, sending reams of detritus downstream.

then flipping wild trout into one net, flipping them into another then packing them sideways into a tiny unaerated tank until they are measured and then just slung back all in one spot

absolutely stupidity by the PFBC.
Pa-lease, Big Spring is anything but pristine, for 300 years it's been used and abused, mostly by agriculture, but also by quarries. If you want to know what the trout population is doing you have to get into the water.

not true, as I pointed out in the part you omitted to quote :

the correct way to do it ? - a powered skiff drifting downstream with two guys in the front with nets who lift and place the fish in a larger aerated tank.

no need to be in the water at all - where do you think all that silt ends up ? - i'll tell you - on top of the weed and gravel, killing off bug life and suffocating any egg or ova in the gravel sub strata .

that's why English chalkstreams do it the way they have been doing it for the last 60 years or so !

My point is this. We already know that BS is polluted with trout. Why spend all those resources on such a tiny section of water, that doesn't even need any help? They should be on the Breeches, doing actual science. But then, that'd fly in the face of the commissioners.

I'm going to have to get me some galvanataxis hooks.

Back