Big Native Brook Trout

The 2006 biologist report doesn’t list any brook trout other than one stocked fish. Idk how brook trout would suddenly appear in the creek if they haven’t stocked it at all in like 20 years so maybe it was an error. Also do you know when the last time they surveyed it was?
I don't know when FSR was last surveyed but the most recent Class A designation for the stream shows a mixed pop of rainbows and brookies. There was a private trout hatchery operating along Falling Spring within the Heritage Area. It was just upstream of the Skelly farm property. That hatchery was prone to flooding and the trout (tiger, palominos, brookies) wound up in the fly area after large storms. I haven't been back in several years so I do not know whether the Hatchery I speak of is still in operation. I do know that I have caught a few tigers above and below Skelly farm, and I have caught a few brookies in the section I suggested may have a reproducing population. Tiger trout are sterile, but the brookies that made it into FSR from the Hatchery could very well reproduce in the right conditions. I believe those conditions do exist as you head toward FSR's source. I've been meaning to make a trip down in the name of science.

I don't know when FSR was last surveyed but the most recent Class A designation for the stream shows a mixed pop of rainbows and brookies. There was a private trout hatchery operating along Falling Spring within the Heritage Area. It was just upstream of the Skelly farm property. That hatchery was prone to flooding and the trout (tiger, palominos, brookies) wound up in the fly area after large storms. I haven't been back in several years so I do not know whether the Hatchery I speak of is still in operation. I do know that I have caught a few tigers above and below Skelly farm, and I have caught a few brookies in the section I suggested may have a reproducing population. Tiger trout are sterile, but the brookies that made it into FSR from the Hatchery could very well reproduce in the right conditions. I believe those conditions do exist as you head toward FSR's source. I've been meaning to make a trip down in the name of science.
I’m pretty sure the old hatchery is closed although not 100% sure. Another thing about the creek, are their big/trophy wild fish like there used to be or is it now just a bunch of tiny fish. I’ve been up there a few times and never seen anything over 12 inches although the bigger fish obviously will be hard to find. Somewhere on mike heck’s website, the trout guide, I remember reading some of the rainbows get over 20 inches but is he just saying that to get more customers

I’m pretty sure the old hatchery is closed although not 100% sure. Another thing about the creek, are their big/trophy wild fish like there used to be or is it now just a bunch of tiny fish. I’ve been up there a few times and never seen anything over 12 inches although the bigger fish obviously will be hard to find. Somewhere on mike heck’s website, the trout guide, I remember reading some of the rainbows get over 20 inches but is he just saying that to get more customers
There's big fish throughout that section but they are tough. You will put the work in. Watch and learn 😉

Falling Springs looks like just another stream that shouldn't be stocked.
Amen. I've been saying that for years with regard to the DHALO area and have posted the same here many times in the past.

tied a bunch of little nymph things today, not quite sure what I was trying to do with them but they turned out pretty good. I’m going for brookies tmr hopefully I finally get my first on the fly rod

Attachments

• D8914E82-9947-4F89-8A94-0B65694EFDB8.jpeg
    D8914E82-9947-4F89-8A94-0B65694EFDB8.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 24
tied a bunch of little nymph things today, not quite sure what I was trying to do with them but they turned out pretty good. I’m going for brookies tmr hopefully I finally get my first on the fly rod

Those will fish. They may even catch the more highly educated and evolved Brown Trout. 😜

Those will fish. They may even catch the more highly educated and evolved Brown Trout. 😜
Stream I’m going too is all brookies, but tbh it would be nice to try for browns, the brookies get a little repetitive
may take them up to toms run at some point this weekend, I was there last Sunday and saw a nice 10+ inch wild brown in the lower section. I was casting ahead of me and I look down at my feet and it just darted away under a sheet of ice

Last edited:
Went out today with the flies I made. Not only did I catch my first brookie on the fly, I caught 11 others. Outfished my friend who had spinning gear 12-2. I missed a really nice one in a deep hole that could have been over 10
Inches but other than that they were all under 6 inches
06991F94 7687 402A A38A AF8C50139CAE
D366D235 4942 464B B468 C0834E9F4C6D
2FFC7C0D BBFA 4FEB B144 BA40560C8A37
1A1941F3 D025 4D2F B8BB 5EFD8BBF9154

Those are really nice fish. Congrats!

Dead of Winter is one of the times I do think fly gear outfishes spin gear, assuming relatively equal skill of the anglers. Fish don’t like to move a lot in cold water, especially cold and clear water, and it’s easier to get a fly to sit still better for them IMO than it is a lure with spin gear.

Finally, this thread is back on track.

So, after all the discussion, what was the rig/approach that unlocked the secrets?

Finally, this thread is back on track.

So, after all the discussion, what was the rig/approach that unlocked the secrets?
I fished a homemade euro nymph under a small indicator like 6 inches up the line (creek was super shallow) and they were all over it. My friend got so tired of watching me catch fish that he tied one on his spinning rod with a bobber and caught two right away
theres the fly that did all the damage, I’m tying more rn since I only have one left 😂. I also had 4 fish on a bright pink color but they really wanted the black/purple

I fished a homemade euro nymph under a small indicator like 6 inches up the line (creek was super shallow) and they were all over it. My friend got so tired of watching me catch fish that he tied one on his spinning rod with a bobber and caught two right awayView attachment 1641228875theres the fly that did all the damage, I’m tying more rn since I only have one left 😂. I also had 4 fish on a bright pink color but they really wanted the black/purple
Awesome! I am jealous! I should have gotten out today!

Went out today with the flies I made. Not only did I catch my first brookie on the fly, I caught 11 others. Outfished my friend who had spinning gear 12-2. I missed a really nice one in a deep hole that could have been over 10
Inches but other than that they were all under 6 inchesView attachment 1641228857View attachment 1641228858View attachment 1641228859View attachment 1641228860
Great job. I know it feels pretty damn good to get them on flies you tied. Welcome to your new addiction 👍

Great job. I know it feels pretty damn good to get them on flies you tied. Welcome to your new addiction 👍
I’m already searching for a new creek to explore tomorrow, it’s so fun fly fishing when you figure out what the fish want

I’m already searching for a new creek to explore tomorrow, it’s so fun fly fishing when you figure out what the fish want
Hey man, a little late to the party here. No idea how I missed this thread but there's alot to unpack. Congratulations on your last outing, such a great feeling to succeed after being frustrated. The biggest thing with fly fishing is presentation, all those flies will catch fish. It's all about the drift!

Back