Better late than never... Steelhead box redux!

wetfly1

wetfly1

I took these a while back fully intending to put them up somewhere and I just now get around to it! Call it therapy helping me make it through Friday afternoon. Just glad I have the time to share. This is my steelhead egg and nimp box if you're interested.
019.JPG

029.JPG

013.JPG

eggs%20001.JPG

010.JPG

012.JPG

Very very nice!! Just wish i had the patiance to sit and tie more then 10 at a time.

Phish_On wrote:
Very very nice!! Just wish i had the patiance to sit and tie more then 10 at a time.
Me too! 2 boys and general slackness keep me away from the vise too much. I actually started this box in August and finished up in February, so It's not like I am the fastest tier... just persistant! By the time I got done most of the places I wanted to go use these flies were blown out... maybe in the fall:(
mike

I am thinkin about bringing one of my cheap vises to work so when i am in front of the computer like now i can tie a few up. You have more flies on one row then i do in my whole box, hahaha, but the flies i do have in my box produce fish. Thats really all that matters. Just sucks when you have to re-tie the ones you lost when you get home.

hey Wetfly, the steelhead box looks great. You seem like you might be a lot more organized than me.

Your website is cool too. I especially like the bit about the Minutemen. They were one of my first 7"s way back when...green vinyl. Good stuff.

Wetfly,
Love it great boxes, i used to get my butt busted when id sit and tie four or five dozen eggs down the Lil Lehigh with the guys several years ago.But nothing beats a a nice stockpile,always stinks when you are hittin them hard and suddenly run out of a certain pattern or color.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Very nice indeed, But I have one ???? does anyone on here swing flies for steel,

sandfly wrote:
Very nice indeed, But I have one ???? does anyone on here swing flies for steel,

Seems more of a NY thing than an Erie thing.

Swinging flies is fun but you catch more steel nymphing and fishing eggs.

sandfly wrote:

Yep! This is my egg/nymph box... keep the swinging stuff separated. But most of the GL Steelhead I have caught go for the eggs:( Still fun to break out my spey rod... but not neccessary.
mike

Swinging a fly along the tailout usually results in the biggest male fish in the pool. I usually just use split shot for weight, as a sink tip can be too much in the PA tribs. On the Cat, tips and sinking line is the way to go. In low and clear just a non weighted fly can out produce an indicator or a tight line approach.

i swing in PA/OH/NY
but not a chance i'm using split shot or swinging gravel... and i don't care if you can catch more with nyphms/eggs/bait

from last week

06580f35.jpg

a2cc5b7c.jpg

Ramcatt wrote:
i swing in PA/OH/NY
but not a chance i'm using split shot or swinging gravel... and i don't care if you can catch more with nyphms/eggs/bait
Nice fish Ramcatt. Somehow i knew you'd have something to say about this. That Uniqua is lookin good.

There are just some times in deep winter when i can't find enough open water to swing a lot of flies. A small green butt skunk almost directly downstream with 10ft of t-11 usually works for me when the ice allows it, but i also carry some caddis larva and nymphs like Wetfly's... and a shorter rod just in case.

wetfly
killer box organization... ugly shirt

Hey Wetfly, that is one killer box you got there. Can I get some advice? I looking to tying some salmon/steel head flies for this fall. What should I start with besides egg patterns?? I understand that the hot colors are pink, blue and purple.

thanks in advance!

Oh, I gonna try and hit the Salmon, Erie tribs or the Oak if it makes a difference in fly patterns.

Thanks again!!

mooney4 wrote:
Oh, I gonna try and hit the Salmon, Erie tribs or the Oak if it makes a difference in fly patterns.

Thanks again!!
I'm not that seasoned of a steelhead fisher, but for flies other than eggs/nymphs try a selection of dark and light streamers. The materials may not matter that much so a simple bugger style probably would do. My top producer is a white wooly bugger!Black, white, and olive should cover you. I will post up some of the streamers that I have had success with soon under a new subject. Being honest though, I must say that my catch rate goes WAAAYYY up when I tie on a small pink egg:)
mike

Pink eggs work great but I have had tremendous days fishing a blue caddis. Blue is an underused color for steelhead up in Erie.

Back