best manufacturer of hooks

mutzinbaugh

mutzinbaugh

who makes the best hook for sizes 16-20?

I had tied 4 bwo's on size 18 for a trip to the spring creek. each one of them i had the same problem... as i got a strike i set the hook and missed the fish, oh well, it happens to all of us. then i proceed to miss 2 more until checking the fly and realizing that the shank of the hook is pierced in the 1st fishes mouth and no wonder i missed the next 2.

i need some small hooks that don't bend or break and wanted to see what you guys are using.

I like Dohiku's, but they are expensive. Really strong, sharp, and barbless. If price is not a factor, then I recommend them. You can find them at Kevin Comptons site Performance Flies

Dia rikki 310. I dont fish drys that much but thats what I perfer to tie on.

Tiemco 2457 will not break.

I use Tiemco for all of my flies, all sizes. No problems.

For any flies smaller then 18's i like to tie on the orvis big eye hooks sharp normally good hook ups sometimes i will add a little offset while the fly is still in the vice

i like cheap. saber in all of its over 9000 variations are cheap. big eye hooks are pretty novel. saber should get on that.

I'll agree with the Dohiku hook's but, man they be expensive.
I mostly tie on TCO hooks though.

I agree with all of those touting Tiemco hooks. I have fished and tied with many brands and they are the best IMHO. Especially in sizes 16 and smaller. I won't even consider Mustad for those sizes any longer. You can buy a 100 cheap but you will break more tying and fishing them.

quillfly wrote:
For any flies smaller then 18's i like to tie on the orvis big eye

Same here. But I use the Daiichi big eye/wide gap dry fly hook for the little flies.
Daiichi also makes that same hook for Orvis.

I think the rap on Mustad for propensity to breakage is a little over stated.

95% of everything I tie on a size #10 hook or larger is tied on a Mustad hook and I haven't had one break on me since the late 70's. This includes all my smallmouth flies and the #10's I tie deerhair ants on. This latter is especially significant, IMO, because I probably go through 200+ #10 ants a year. I also have a habit of shaving my exploded ants (they last about 7-8 fish before they turn into little black porcupines) with a disposable razor and re-using the hooks. I've not had any of these break either.

I have had some trouble over the years with smaller Mustad hooks, particularly the old fine wire 94833's. But, even with these I'd be hard pressed to say this is a brand flaw or characteristic. Just the wages of fine wire and a guy who is rough on equipment (me). Are Mustads not as sharp out of the box? Probably... Are they overall more liable to breakage? Not that I can attest to.

I use mostly Dai-Riki, Cabelas (whoever makes them..) and The Fish Guy (tip of the hat to Afish to pointing me that way) dry fly hooks these days. I also have no reservations about buying Mustads when I need hooks in a hurry and that is all that is available via retail. They (well and Eagle Claw, which I think is a perfectly acceptable tying hook in the larger sizes) are the only brand I take a hook hone to before using. But other than the sharpness issue, I see nothing wrong with them.

Just a few other things (some of which I've mentioned before, I'm sure):

1) I've found White River hooks (BPS) to have the worst temper of any hook I've ever seen. They seem to have the temper of al dente linguine. For me, they pull out really easily.

2) There are some bad (brittle) Dai-Rikis floating around out there, or at least there were. I've had a lot of them snap on the pinch down. My hook guru and Dai-Riki supplier (he's in a wholesale pool with some guys who are in retail) tells me these were the result of Dai-Riki farming out some of their dry fly hook manufacture to a Korean outfit who really screwed them up on the first run. Supposedly, they're better now.

3) Don't buy Eagle Claw dry fly hooks (L059) unless you want a hook that is 1XL to 1.5XL longer in the shank than the purchased size. I bought 100 #12's ( a size I don't use very many of) from Cabela's and ended up tying #10 ants with all of them. They're loooong.

4) Except that he never has the ring eye dry fly hooks I like, I like The Fish Guy's hooks. I think he implies they are Tiemco's. I dunno. Pretty good hook though at a reasonable price.

I like the hooks that orvis sells for small bigeye dries and "micro nymphs" with wide gaps. Don't know who makes them for them, should probably find out and then price/compare.

trowpa,
Daiichi makes Orvis hooks.

StaggerLee wrote:
Leteras wrote:
Tiemco 2457 will not break.

+1 I agree with this statement...

Most folks don't use 2457 for dry fly hooks. Maybe an emerger . . .

I like Tiemco for those hooks that I can't find in TCO brand, which is just Saber like Gary mentioned.

TCO, That Fish Guy, Allen and everyone else are Saber which are Tiemco without the Tiemco.

TFG's bulk hooks are supposed to be Mustad, unsure if this is truth. They're a bit small compared to the TMC hooks I've had, not sure if that's a classic Mustad thing or are some other line.

Dohiku or tiemco.
Both great hooks

I prefer daiichi for my smaller size dries. I like the gaps and hook eyes on them. The points are extremely sharp and stay sharp. You can find deals on hundred packs if you look around on line.

I think mustad has improved by a million fold with there signature line of hooks. Great quality and price. I like the R-50, it is suppose to be a 94840, but has a wider gap and is much stronger in tiny sizes. I have not had any problems with mustad signature hooks. I would recommend them any time.

I think dai-riki makes a quality hook, and they are the manufacture for many secondary companies. The wire can be a tad light though in the smaller sizes.

Saber makes a quality cheap hook.

Tiemco, used for all my flies. Don't waste your time with Mustad they are dull out of the box.

Back