Best Fly Fishing Vehicle for Pennsylvania

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

Currently using a Honda Pilot and I love it so far but not the most fuel efficient. Jury is still out.

I've had several others but here's my top 3 list:

#1 : 95 Toyota pickup (pre Tacoma) 5pd manual 22re 4cyl 4wd - by far the best balance between fuel efficiency, carrying capacity, and off road capabilities. Only draw back was only being a two seater. Bed was just big enough to sleep in.

#2 : 91 Volvo station wagon - relatively fuel efficient, excellent carrying capacity, room for friends, and capable on most of the rough roads we use but not all. Roof rack height bicycle friendly. Plenty of room to spread out and sleep in.

#3 : 2001 Honda CRV - fuel efficient, capable on most of our off road applications with the right tires, but not a ton of room.

So what are your favorite fishing mobiles? I'm in the early stages of shopping for another new to me vehicle. I'm leaning back towards a Toyota pickup but I love having an old cheap beater to roll around in.

1970 BMW R/75/5
1964 triumph T100
1961 triumph T100
1949/64 BSA B33

i might switch to a car soon. looking at an 82-85 mercedes 300D or TD ,a 1959 studebaker lark, a willys wagon on an S10 frame or a brand new kia soul.

i like honda elements,even though it is japanese, but can't seem to find quite the right one.

Hmmmm.... I had a vw tdi Jetta before I turned it in for the settlement. I sure do miss the fuel effenciency. 50 mpg on long trips but it sucked on mt roads and the clearance was terrible. I've since moved onto a 2012 Subaru Outback. Plenty of cargo room and clearance + awd ( doubt I'll get stuck anywhere) but the mphs suck on the 6 cyl. If I had to do it over I would get the 4 cyl. Roof rack, awd, cargo room, clearance and decent gas mileage gets my vote.

I'd say any Suburu hatchback or wagon. They go anywhere, mud, fairly deep snow and have more ground clearance than a lot of suvs and better gas mileage.

If you can find an older Mountaineer in good shape 97' -2001 with low miles and a 5.0 L V-8 with AWD, get it. They are gold. The transmission is strong, that version of the 5.0L is the best and they tow 6,500 lbs and haul *** and still get about 18-19 mpg and will fit anything you need to bring. The rear seats fold completely flat and the cargo area is useful for anything including sleeping. The AWD sends most of the power to the rear wheels, where you want it, and the body and bumpers aren't made of plastic like the newer crap.

I sell Subarus outside of Philly. If you need one PM me, I'll hook you up

A crosstrek or forester would be pretty sweet for most of the fishing I do. A Toyota fj would be pretty sweet too imo. My brother has an 05 trd off road tacoma which imo is a great fishing vehicle. Put all your gear in the bed under a tono cover and that truck will go just about anywhere. It handled baker run rd in Clinton County pretty well and was it's best test yet for sure. Lots of other good choices out there for sure though.

I used to run a 08 Ford Escape. Good little vehicle until the tranny went at 170k. Good gas mileage and ground clearance. Roof rack. Enough storage and big enough to sleep in a pinch. AWD worked pretty good.

I recently got a 16 Ford Edge but I'm not sold on it yet. It's a little too "city-fied" with 19" rims and ground clearance isn't great. Lack of roof rack.

I may trade for a small truck in the future depending on my needs. I'd like to get a Tacoma but can't justify the cost and poor MPG. I'm interested in seeing what the new 2019 Ford Ranger is like. Can you tell I'm somewhat of a Ford man? hahaha

Just bought a 2009 Subaru Forester and feel like it about the perfect mix for me. Decent gas mileage for work (about 27.5mpg average so far), I can sleep in the back with the seats down, but can also fit a family of four in it comfortably. Decent ground clearance for dicey SF roads (or paved PA highways), AWD, and just all around happy with the vehicle. Paid little enough for it that I felt I could sink some money into an engine overhaul by a local used Subaru shop, and hope to have it for another 100,000 miles. Or buy a newer one at some point and give this one to my daughter in a few years.

My f150 4x4, with an 8 1/2 foot bed is my fishing mobile. Gas mileage isn't great....or good, but the triton v8 sounds sweet. It's nice to be able to throw everything in the bed. Switching spots on the river is quick and easy, not breaking down rods is a great convenience.

I've also fished out of our dodge journey. Much better gas mileage but breaking rods down to move is a pain in the butt. Plenty of room for gear and people but it is much more the family vehicle than a fishing one.

In short fishing out of truck is fantastic.

Besides fuel efficiency, trucks are the best fishing mobiles I have ever owned. Plenty of room, 4WD, clearance, and the best part...wet boots and waders are sequestered from the seating area. Sitting on the tailgate, sipping a beer after a long day of fishing isn't too shabby either. There's a soft spot in my heart for old Subaru wagons, mostly from a 4 day camping/fishing trip to Yellow Breaches back in the day. However, the dank and moisture of our boots and wet waders, made me swear on getting a truck.

2016 Toyota 4 Runner. So far so good. Plenty of room for my gear. Could go just about anywhere if need be.

I have a 2008 Chevy Colorado z71 off-road and it's great! It has a inline 5 cylinder so it's not too bad on gas! And being a small pickup it's nice for parking!

FWIW There is a Chevy Colorado 4x4 with 4 doors for sale here. If I needed a fishing truck I'd buy it and add a topper. Place for gear and room for people.
Nothing but good stuff about Subaru. GG

2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z-71. Extra clearance, offroad suspension, tow kit, and enough room for 7 fishermen with gear (or your entire family and dog with gear). I'll never get rid of mine if I can help it.

shakey wrote:
i might switch to a car soon. looking at an 82-85 mercedes 300D or TD
/quote]

The 300td might be the best car engine ever made. They run forever Nice ones are getting pricey

My 1997 4runner was my favorite but that truck is not with me anymore.

I have a Tacoma and an Outback now. The Outback is the bomb, mileage, clearance, comfort and storage are all killer. Wish you could still get it in a manual. Best car I have ever driven in the snow.

Plus the jokes surround the Outback are hilarious

Had an element for many years...put 300k on it and the engine e was still strong when I got rid of it. Started eating suspension parts like it was its job.

Replaced with older 4runner which is a beast in comparison. Get about 5 mpg less but much stronger and capable.

Forester or XC70 wagon stick out in my mind as 2 that I'd look at.

1985 Yugo.

Seems appropriate for some of the PA Fish Commission practices...

Oh. MAN!!! I had a 72 Triumph Bonneville that I bought while serving in Germany.

Absolute BEST MC on the road.

Until the German shipping company smashed it on the way to the states, that is.

Funny, they seemed to understand English well enough when they wanted money. No so much, though, when I wanted some from them...

As a pure fishing vehicle, I prefer a truck generally too. All the dirty/smelly stuff in the bed away from passengers and just hose it out to clean it. I've had a 2005 Colorado and a 2011 and 2014 Tacoma. Colorado was a decent truck and I enjoyed it but the Tacomas are far superior mechanically. I'm committing to the 2014 as my long term fishing vehicle for the foreseeable future. It only gets about 10k miles/year and is in the garage and gets powerwashed after any snow duty, so I should be good for a while.

My girlfriend just bought a Crosstrek this past Winter. They're legit, especially for the price. I haven't reset the MPG meter since she bought it and it's at 30 MPG. (She has the manual. The CVT should do a littler better even.) We've taken it fishing a few times this year and it's done great. Saved our butts Memorial Day weekend at the Cherry Springs lot on Penns...was way easier to park in that mess than my Tacoma would've been. She got the all weather package which came with the nice rubber floor mats...almost Weathertech quality. Just pull out the one from the hatch and hose it off. It will go just about anywhere I'd be willing to take my Tacoma. There's some places in PA I'd just park them both and walk in!

Edit: I have a separate 4 cyl Camry I commute to work with. If I had to go down to one vehicle and still have my current commute (59 miles each way), I'd get a Subaru hands down. Crosstrek or Forester probably. No doubt Subarus are the best compromise out there in terms of capability and fuel mileage.

Used to have a old international scout they are a tank.

Back