Beadheads and clearwater trout

I would suggest the indicators an issue on gin clear water, you can see your fly in the water even if it's on the bottom. The fish at Big Spring are spooky, they are particularly spooky on a bright day.
I'll repeat what others have said, use natural looking flies, with no bead heads and no flash.

Bigspring is its own fishery. I fish it different then the Letort. The fish do not spoke like many spring creeks. They can move away but return to feed in a short time. Beads do 2 things to a fly. One is it can represent a nympahl shuck loosing when a mayfly emerges. Two it adds weight to the fly. When I do advanced schools I catch different nymphs and release them in different water conditions Some slow moving others in fast moving water. Cress bugs in big spring do not sink like a rock nor do other nymphs. They slowly fall down and swimming nymphs swim away. Beads catch a lot of fish most are fresh stocked. Take a bead head and cast it 20 plus feet away in a non moving clear pool. You will see it very well. Tie the same fly no bead and more then likely it disappears. My 2015 presentation is on sight fishing and I describe this and other usefull info. I can catch more fish quicker on beadheads. But will catch the smartest fish on non beads. Perhaps you have had different results so please let us know your ideas also.

I have a few thoughts in this. First, I think you're more likely to get drag on multi bh nymph rigs, as opposed to a rig that runs shot between two flies, because if they land in different current they pull against each other.
Second, although I've had very good days using bh on BS, its been when there's less light (overcast/dusk). With non-bh nymphs, I'm more consistent. I recall when I used to wear a watch while fishing, and sometimes glare from the face would spook fish.
Third, Tony makes a good point about bh nymphs sinking straight down. While I like that I get to bottom quickly on deeper faster freestone streams, BS is shallow in most areas. The current speed at the bottom isn't that much slower than at the top, therefore you may be dragging. I am think this is why the Letort is so tricky. I'd venture to guess that the cress at various heights in the water column create layers of differing current speed.
Fourth, its BS and sees a ton of pressure. I don't know how many times I pull up only to see someone wading right through the middle of the stream. I've never had to venture a foot or so off the bank.
Now, the reason I still have bh nymphs in my box- strike detection.

Tony, can you pm me your upcoming classes?

The last time i fished B.S. I sight fished with one of the most obnoxious beaded flies in the universe. Actually 3 of us did and caught tons of fish. It was just stupid easy. It made me angry that all the time I spent tying sow and scuds with relistic patterns only for the fish to go crazy for stupid squirms. Fish are stupid.

Yes the anglers stock 40,00 stupid ones. Try some wild fish from the Letort! Different animal.

Since when is Big Springs a stocked fishery? Lmao

O, you though I was talking about Boiling Springs. Why would anybody drive over 2 hours to fish the Breaches? That would be a waste.

Yes Becker I agree with you it would be a waste for you to drive 2 hours to fish our area.

Said nothing about your area. Big Spring, Letort, and Falling Springs are some of my favorite streams. Why waste a drive down there to fish the Breeches!?

I hardly consider the spook factor of beads what so ever...first concern is getting it in their zone. If it ain't there then they won't see it anyway.
Now slow moving clear water, this could factor in...clear water, more time to inspect blablabla. In this situation you wouldn't need much weight anyway
We could talk about how dumb fish are and listen to anecdotal accounts until the sun comes up bit Id rather see a bead underwater...colors reflect differently and light comes from less directions so they might not be as flashy as you think

When I think of bead on a nymph, gold is the the first one that comes to mind because that color has been the most effective for me plus its the most common. However, not all beadheads are "flashy" like the gold,silver and tungsten.

This is one of those topics where absolute and extreme opinions on either end of the spectrum are equally bad.

LeTortAngler2 wrote:
When I think of bead on a nymph, gold is the the first one that comes to mind because that color has been the most effective for me plus its the most common. However, not all beadheads are "flashy" like the gold,silver and tungsten.

^ True. In clear and low conditions and/or on spring creeks, I usually start with a natural looking non bead-head nymph or maybe a nymph tied with a black or dull bead to add a little weight w/o flash.

There are times when a bead and/or a fly with a little flash work best, even in low clear streams or at the Letort or BS. Sometimes flashy/gaudy is the answer too. Been there...done that.

Shane, you should patent your flashy frenchie polish vladi squirmy wormy czech nymphs!

Squirmy wormies are stupid flies and they are not mine. I wouldn't want my name on that pattern. Maybe Bowman's Squirmy Wormy?

Copper colored beadheads are also a good choice.

I have caught fish there with blk nic tungsten beaded flies and no flash. Kind of a walts olive/nat hares ear color. The fish approve of that fly most the time. I shy away from split shot, that stuff is a pain.

I have definitely seen fish on valley spook as nymphs with bead heads and shiny hooks pass by with a seemingly good drift.

thanks for the reminder to tie some beadless and flash-free.

Back