Beach to Camp on?

F

fter

I was looking to hit the salt for a few days and kind of want to escape dropping a lot of cash on a hotel. Anyone know a beach within five hours of Central Pa that has legal camping and maybe a striper or bluefish? Don't need anyone's hot spot, and feel free to PM me if that's preferred.

Maybe it's unobtainable (?), but I was sort of looking for something that didn't require me to check into a campground or anything. I kinda just wanted a beach where I won't be prosecuted for setting up a tent and sacking out until the next morning. Thank you both for the responses so far.

fter wrote:
Maybe it's unobtainable (?), but I was sort of looking for something that didn't require me to check into a campground or anything. I kinda just wanted a beach where I won't be prosecuted for setting up a tent and sacking out until the next morning. Thank you both for the responses so far.

I know what you mean, that's the kind of camping I like as well. Designated "camp grounds" are kinda goofy to me. I don't need a special piece of ground that someone designated as a camp ground to just put up a tent and go to sleep, and I especially don't want any neighbors when camping

That's exactly how I feel. And no offense to the people who generally use those campgrounds, but I don't want little Billy to be asking me every question in the book while I'm just trying double haul into some waves. Haha so all of that said, feel free to keep the suggestions coming. I probably won't leave for a couple of weeks and don't mind a drive under six hours if it provides the type of "lodging" that I'd like.

You can get a beach buggy permit for Island Beach State Park. The rule is, you can drive and stay on the beach all night, but you gotta be fishing.....

If beaches were open to camping anywhere, anytime...well, you'd have

Attachments

• this!!.jpg
    this!!.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 2
IBSP would be a pretty solid choice in my book. I always tend to fish the Cape May area, but I've heard nothing but good things about Island Beach. Am I stupid, or does the "you have to be fishing" rule mean you Better not think of setting up a tent and passing out?

tents are not allowed at I.B.S.P.. if you have a yearly permit you can sleep in your truck/suv at the bathing beach northern parking lot.

I doubt there are any places where you can casually tent camp right on the beach (maybe I'm wrong).

More likely, you would have to camp at a designated campground. I used to tent camp at the Outer Banks and these sites were back behind the dunes but about as close as one could want to be. However, they were crowded and basically just tents a few feet apart in a field. I didn't care as I was just there to fish.

I appreciate everyone's input here. I'm thinking assateague will be the destination. Now the next question, how's the fishing up there? Like I said, most of my salt experience takes place in New Jersey.

fter wrote:
I appreciate everyone's input here. I'm thinking assateague will be the destination. Now the next question, how's the fishing up there? Like I said, most of my salt experience takes place in New Jersey.

"Up there?"
If you're coming from central PA, Assateague is southeast in Maryland.

Anyway directions aside, the inshore saltwater fishing is pretty good there in June. You've got a shot at stripers, summer founder (what they call "fluke in NJ), weakfish, and bluefish and possibly a few other species. Fish are generally on the smaller size in summer but they can be numerous, especially the bluefish (if you're lucky).

Your best bet would be to hire a guide who can get you out on a boat, but if this is off the option list, try fishing the beaches at dawn and dusk with a streamer fly and sinking line.

if you're going to be camping at Assateague, bring lots of bug spray!

You'd be pretty lucky to catch a striper from the surf at this point in the season on assateague... however, target the inlet and inside the bay around the Rt. 50 bridge, and your odds will increase dramatically. Indian river inlet is another area that usually fishes pretty decent this time of the season. Lots of deep water there that holds resident fish through the summer. There is a campground right there also on the south side, although I've never camped there I just take naps and sleep in my car.

This time of the year if you want to catch stripers in Delmarva, you will do much much better at night.

pratt wrote:
if you're going to be camping at Assateague, bring lots of bug spray!

Bug spray don't work there. No way would I camp there. The bugs are totally out of control there. I'd go to IBSP and sleep in my car in the parking lot. You will have plenty of room for your double haul.

Agreed .. AI has bugs bigger than my 3 year old!

Oh wow, I didn't really realize that they are that rough up there. I'm used to Florida and Jersey bugs, but these seem to be a little more hefty.

It can be really intense big wise on assateague... especially w/ west wind

Back