Beach to Camp on?

My brother camped at the campground at the north end of Assateague. He said the campsites are just behind the dunes. And when the sea breeze is strong, it drives the bugs away. But when it slows up, the mosquitos are bad.

He said some of the campsites get a better sea breeze, so people in the know pick those sites.

Years ago I went with some friends to the southern end of Assateague. On the beach the sea breeze was strong and there was no bug problem at all.

They were birders so we went to the salt marshes on the bay side to spot water birds. And back there the mosquitoes were brutal. It's not like the occasional mosquito, it's big clouds of them.

this would be about 5 1/2 hours from Central PA and it sounds more like what you're looking for :

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/camping-sandbridge-va-57267.html

small primitive sites with no water, carry in & out.

poopdeck wrote:
pratt wrote:
if you're going to be camping at Assateague, bring lots of bug spray!

Bug spray don't work there. No way would I camp there. The bugs are totally out of control there. I'd go to IBSP and sleep in my car in the parking lot. You will have plenty of room for your double haul.

I hear ya!

I kayak camped once along the bay side of the island - stayed in one of the camping sites that are meant specifically for canoe/kayakers and/or hikers. I knew we were in trouble when we showed up and 2 people were already at the group of sites, sitting there will full beekeeper outfits on!! the bugs were brutal - including mosquitos, flies & ticks. We woke up the next morning and the bottom outside of our tent was almost completely covered in dog ticks. ..and this was in early May ~ when the bugs supposedly weren't bad yet. I haven't been back since.

Back