Bald Eagle Creek

This water has been put off for years never cared about it's all washed out banks eroded away people throw their garbage in it deer carcasses.

Check the lists; I just did! It is not on the Class A list below Sayers, proposed for Class A below Sayers, or being considered for Class A below Sayers. End of story.

Thanks for clearing that up Mike now take your white lace gloves off and go check how much record rainfall Flemington got in july 2007

Mike wrote:
Check the lists; I just did! It is not on the Class A list below Sayers, proposed for Class A below Sayers, or being considered for Class A below Sayers. End of story.

It was being considered for class A last year. I laughed when I heard it. Actually I heard they even did a fingerling stocking at the spillway. I bet the musky, walleye, bass, and any other larger predatory fish loved that stocking!

John they have been doing it since 2016 a guy at the spillway told me when I was fishing last month. I don't think we need a million dollar study to improve the aquatic life either.

Who is spending a million dollars on a study?

sarce wrote:
Who is spending a million dollars on a study?

They want to start playing around with the water height of the dam and trying to have a more continuous flow of water below the dam. Somehow they thought they could turn lower Bald Eagle into a trout fishery. I know residents near the dam and people who use the dam for recreational uses were very upset. As much as I would love to have another trout fishery, lower Bald Eagle just isn't one and probably shouldn't be one. I haven't heard any more about this since they had the big public meeting last year.

Yes it's been very quiet.

By "they" I believe that Army Corps of Engineers and possibly SRBC were the main agencies pursuing the proposed study in question. I have not heard anything since the public meeting, but it is not a PFBC driven study. I am not sure how anyone could argue scientifically that a more consistent flow regime would not help lower bald eagle. forget about wild trout improvements just in a sense of improving habitat for all aquatic life downstream as long as a summer pool can be maintained above the dam to continue to provide the recreational opportunities that Sayers does.

They never cared for all those years before where did the all of a sudden we care about lower bald eagle come from?

If you checked the local rainfall after I pointed out that record rainfall could be a possible explanation for lower than normal water temps and you then found that such was not the case, that's good info. for your discussion.

What is so wrong with someone trying to improve a watershed or a body of water? It was stated earlier about people dumping tires and trash into the stream and the local disregard for this creek, what is the issue with attempts to improve water quality or to publicize the resource that it is (assuming PFBC surveys observed a significant wild trout population).

The trash being dumped in the stream is a on going issue for years and still today and there is no significant population of wild trout in there.

Hook_Jaw wrote:
The trash being dumped in the stream is a on going issue for years and still today and there is no significant population of wild trout in there.

Hook_Jaw I am 100% with you. I mean I'd love to see a better fishery and I'd love to see lower Bald Eagle cleaned up BUT this movement about trout and the dam really came out of nowhere and was truly shocking me. Why now all of a sudden do they want to do something about it? Personally I wouldn't do anything with lower Bald Eagle until Beech Creek is capable of having fish in it. There's more places in need of immediate help at the moment.

I will also add this...Bald Eagle as it is is not a bad place to go fishing. My brother caught a 50" tiger musky out of there back in 2000. I caught 18" smallies from time to time and there are some decent walleyes in there (I've seen 28" walleyes caught). Certain places also have 20"+ trout on lower Bald Eagle. Its not like there are no fish and its not all "junk" fish. Its no destination stream nor should it ever really be. I always viewed it as it was what it was and nothing more. Can you get lucky and catch something amazing out of lower Bald Eagle? Sure can but I can think of a thousand other places better to go in the state.

So what's wrong with some attention to the creek to clean it up and who cares why now. Never been there but just my thoughts on improving waterways regardless if they can hold trout or not.

ryansheehan wrote:
So what's wrong with some attention to the creek to clean it up and who cares why now. Never been there but just my thoughts on improving waterways regardless if they can hold trout or not.

Problem is they are jumping ahead in the process. They should do the cleaning of the stream first. Fix the AMD from Beech Creek. Get the obvious problems fixed first then screw around with the dam flow maybe. I don't quite understand though how the flow of the water below the dam is really going to do much. Its a top release dam so its not cold water coming out of the spillway. Its not like the flow ever stops down stream. Its fairly large water. IF anything it might help fishing conditions within the dam because supposedly they aren't going to fluctuate the levels of the dam as much (lowering to late winter levels in case of spring flooding). Sayers dam is first and foremost a flood control dam.

bigjohn58 wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:

Problem is they are jumping ahead in the process. They should do the cleaning of the stream first. Fix the AMD from Beech Creek. Get the obvious problems fixed first then screw around with the dam flow maybe. I don't quite understand though how the flow of the water below the dam is really going to do much. Its a top release dam so its not cold water coming out of the spillway. Its not like the flow ever stops down stream. Its fairly large water. IF anything it might help fishing conditions within the dam because supposedly they aren't going to fluctuate the levels of the dam as much (lowering to late winter levels in case of spring flooding). Sayers dam is first and foremost a flood control dam.

Got it, misunderstood what was happening, thought that was part of the actions that were being discussed.

bigjohn58 wrote:
Mike wrote:

It was being considered for class A last year. I laughed when I heard it. Actually I heard they even did a fingerling stocking at the spillway. I bet the musky, walleye, bass, and any other larger predatory fish loved that stocking!

It was not being considered for Class A last year. The section of stream that was being considered for Class A is the section that is now on the Class A list. Up until the most recent Class A list Bald Eagle Creek was never listed on the Class A list.

bigjohn58 wrote:
Mike wrote:

And they stocked fingerlings in that section below the lake once and that occurred in 2017. They stocked both browns and rainbows. They stocked fingerlings in Bald Eagle above the lake many times since 2011. The PFBC is extremely good about providing a ton of information and this is all on their website.

Back