Bald Eagle Cr Proposed For Class A List

WildTigerTrout wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:
The designation of a waterway being Class A doesn't mean anything. It just means wild fish are present and reproducing. Fishing Creek in Mill Hall is the same exact way. They won't reduce creel limits or do anything to protect the stream. However stocking on larger class A streams like Bald Eagle and Fishing Creek do not bother me. They seem to coexist fine in both streams and IF they do not reduce creel limits then stocking should continue in my opinion. Also at least stockies have a chance to hold over and don't just die off like so many other stocked streams. In a perfect world though these class A fisheries would be protected to a much greater degree but its hard to explain that to the meat hunters and the PAFBC.
Check the new 2017 PFBC fishing digest. You will see new regulations for the stocked/class A section of BFC from the mouth of Cedar Run to Bald Eagle Creek.

I checked the new 2017 regs booklet. The section of Fishing Creek at Mill Hall is still under general harvest regs. 5 trout per day, 7 inch minimum.

That doesn't mean that will be the future management on Bald Eagle Cr, though. That has yet to be announced. It will probably be decided sometime in 2017, then go into effect in 2018.

Well Fishing Creek and Bald Eagle Creek have been treated very similar in the last several years. Both streams have been having fingerling stockings every late summer. As for changes according to the 2017 book I saw there were NO changes to Fishing Creek.

Oh and they ALWAYS do an in season stocking on Fishing Creek so that is incorrect that Class A streams only get a preseason stocking. I highly doubt they stop in season stockings on Bald Eagle as well.

Yeah John, I think what I found was the proposal that while receiving overwhelming support was canned over the final rulemaking that Afish posted. "Stocking over Class A t the discretion of the ED"

But to be clear, what I had posted was only in effect for streams classified AFTER 2013. So Fishing Creek would not have applied since it was classified prior.

I can tell you that in my county, Two streams classified as Class A AFTER 2013 were managed as Ceased stocking and the other to preseason only.

Granted both are smaller tribs to the branches of larger watersheds and not nearly as popular as Fishing Creek or Bald Eagle Creek in the proposed Section.

The extended season regulations on BFC have changed to no harvest, CATCH AND RELEASE. That's a BIG change! Check the book again it's on page 20 of the digest.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
The extended season regulations on BFC have changed to no harvest, CATCH AND RELEASE. That's a BIG change! Check the book again it's on page 20 of the digest.

Oh wow! I did not realize this! That is great news! I know several people who fish it during the winter and keep some nice trout out of there. Wonder how many will even realize the regulation change though. That's the problem with changing regs no one is around to enforce them.

WildTigerTrout wrote:

But that's just in the extended season. During the regular season it's still 5 fish per day.

Is that really a big change?

What percentage of the trout harvested are taken during the regular season, and what percentage during the extended season?

On most stocked wild trout streams, I think the great majority of trout that are harvested are taken during the regular season.

People do fish in the fall and winter, but there are far fewer of them than during the regular season.

When trout are stocked in the spring that attracts very large numbers of people, and they harvest both hatchery and wild trout.

Regarding the future management of this section of Bald Eagle Creek, it seems likely that the PFBC simply hasn't decided yet what management they will go with.

There are many possible options.

What they decide on may depend a lot on what they hear from the public.

Glad they are still moving forward with wild trout designations, it's part of the reason the guy from SE PA quit.

troutbert wrote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:

But that's just in the extended season. During the regular season it's still 5 fish per day.

What percentage of the trout harvested are taken during the regular season, and what percentage during the extended season?

On most stocked wild trout streams, I think the great majority of trout that are harvested are taken during the regular season.

People do fish in the fall and winter, but there are far fewer of them than during the regular season.

When trout are stocked in the spring that attracts very large numbers of people, and they harvest both hatchery and wild trout.
When the same guys fish it nearly everyday during the winter season and keep them it will make a big difference.

troutbert wrote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:

All Class A's without special regs are 5 fish per day harvest during the regular season. The extended season closure to harvest is the only harvest restriction for all class A's. Not saying it's right, just making the clarification.

Yeah, it really doesn't do anything. The Little Lehigh, Saucon, Monocacy and the Easton (sic) Bushkill all get thoroughly stocked and managed under open regs, all of which carry high populations of wild trout. (At least they leave Cedar's wild water and Trout Creek alone)
Really, so... Whatever. I mean, it's like those "Monitoring" commercials. "Hey aren't you a security guard?"
"No, I'm a security monitor. I only monitor if there is a robbery. There's a robbery"

And there's way too much of this throughout all our wildlife... I'm grasping for a word... AGENGIES?

Grouse, trout, SMB in the Susquehanna, deer, pheasant; so much monitoring. Like what I heard a commentator assessing CNN's coverage of a debate of sorts with one person who had a valid opinion and another person who was just factually wrong and beyond the bounds of reason, "They're monitoring the decline."
And expect more 'monitoring' if the history and intentions of the Powers That Be continue their trajectories.

As when Einstein and an early Hollywood star were at a reception. About all the ta-do, Einstein asked, "what does it mean." And the actor replied, "Nothing".

It means nothing, until someone destroys it in a blatant manner.

syl

WildTigerTrout wrote:
troutbert wrote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:

When the same guys fish it nearly everyday during the winter season and keep them it will make a big difference.

I have witnessed the same thing about people who trout fish on Fishing Creek during the winter months tend to do it often and they do tend to keep a lot of fish. There was actually a guy that was laid off a winter or two ago who practically whipped out sections of Fishing Creek. It was really sad and unfortunate. I also know another person who alone kept over 150 trout from Fishing Creek in one season mostly wild browns. He would go into the one local shop and brag about it.

Sylvaneous wrote:
Yeah, it really doesn't do anything. The Little Lehigh, Saucon, Monocacy and the Easton (sic) Bushkill all get thoroughly stocked and managed under open regs, all of which carry high populations of wild trout. (At least they leave Cedar's wild water and Trout Creek alone)
Really, so... Whatever. I mean, it's like those "Monitoring" commercials. "Hey aren't you a security guard?"
"No, I'm a security monitor. I only monitor if there is a robbery. There's a robbery"

And there's way too much of this throughout all our wildlife... I'm grasping for a word... AGENGIES?

Grouse, trout, SMB in the Susquehanna, deer, pheasant; so much monitoring. Like what I heard a commentator assessing CNN's coverage of a debate of sorts with one person who had a valid opinion and another person who was just factually wrong and beyond the bounds of reason, "They're monitoring the decline."
And expect more 'monitoring' if the history and intentions of the Powers That Be continue their trajectories.

As when Einstein and an early Hollywood star were at a reception. About all the ta-do, Einstein asked, "what does it mean." And the actor replied, "Nothing".

syl

LOVED THIS POST!!! So true!

bigjohn58 wrote:
Sylvaneous wrote:

syl

LOVED THIS POST!!! So true!

Is it true?

If Spring Creek was managed this way, stocked and with harvest allowed of 5 trout per day, do you think the trout population would stay the same?

How about the Little J?

Or Penns Creek?

Or Fishing Creek in the Narrows?

troutbert wrote:

Is it true?

If Spring Creek was managed this way, stocked and with harvest allowed of 5 trout per day, do you think the trout population would stay the same?

How about the Little J?

Or Penns Creek?

Or Fishing Creek in the Narrows?

I personally feel Spring Creek would become a better fishery IF harvesting would be allowed to an extent. I feel there are way too many small fish there.

Ditto for Little J where the abundance of small fish is overwhelming in many locales.

John your right about the harvesting on Spring Creek, and Nymphingmaniac Turning it into spring creek as in a yuppie paradise?

I think all of the streams should have some sort of harvesting low yes but some kind.

Does anybody know if the area of Bald Eagle Creek that was recently reclassified has a lot of "Posted" land around it or is there fishing access? I was on a section of Bald Eagle Creek in April of 2011. I was looking for fish-able water because of heavy rain. I witnessed the most amazing, dense hatch going on. It was difficult to see across the stream. I believe it was a caddis hatch of some sort. If the water was not running like chocolate and over the banks I would have fished it. Wound up on Wallace Run instead.

access is excellent. Very little water is posted. What you observed is its excellent grannom hatch. Some stretches of the LBE have grannoms that rival the J. Because it is stocked, the waters are closed when they usually emerge- by about a week. Fished it one year when the hatch was late. Very good indeed. If they change the regs, that hatch can be fished (and the very respectable black stonefly hatch too)

Unless someone points me to some studies on lack of human harvest on populations in flowing bodies of water (and not some some farm pond hammer-handle wisdom), I don't think harvest would make any appreciable average size increase.

Between redds being stomped on, herons, ospreys, larger fish, other carnivores, and the fish that die during c&r, only a small percentage of fry ever make it to adulthood.

My opinion is that habitat (cover, feeding lanes, food, etc) and possibly stress via angling pressure could contribute to a truly "stunted" population in a stream.

Back