Bald Eagle Cr Proposed For Class A List

T

troutbert

The PFBC has proposed a section of Bald Eagle Creek for addition to the Class A list, based on electrofishing surveys.

The section is from the confluence of Spring Creek in Milesburg downstream to the backwaters of Sayers Lake.

The surveys indicated a wild brown trout population with a biomass of 52.78 kg/ha.

I agree with that and think It is A worthy water.

And...... that designation stops stocking over top of the wild fish, reduces creel limits and prohibits fishing of nursery sections during the spawn? Nope!

The classification doesn't stop stocking over the wild fish if the PFBC wants to.

The designation of a waterway being Class A doesn't mean anything. It just means wild fish are present and reproducing. Fishing Creek in Mill Hall is the same exact way. They won't reduce creel limits or do anything to protect the stream. However stocking on larger class A streams like Bald Eagle and Fishing Creek do not bother me. They seem to coexist fine in both streams and IF they do not reduce creel limits then stocking should continue in my opinion. Also at least stockies have a chance to hold over and don't just die off like so many other stocked streams. In a perfect world though these class A fisheries would be protected to a much greater degree but its hard to explain that to the meat hunters and the PAFBC.

Wouldn't surprise me if that designation reduces the quality of fishing in Bald Eagle.

TroutTracker wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if that designation reduces the quality of fishing in Bald Eagle.

I wouldn't doubt that too.

bigjohn58 wrote:
The designation of a waterway being Class A doesn't mean anything. It just means wild fish are present and reproducing. Fishing Creek in Mill Hall is the same exact way. They won't reduce creel limits or do anything to protect the stream. However stocking on larger class A streams like Bald Eagle and Fishing Creek do not bother me. They seem to coexist fine in both streams and IF they do not reduce creel limits then stocking should continue in my opinion. Also at least stockies have a chance to hold over and don't just die off like so many other stocked streams. In a perfect world though these class A fisheries would be protected to a much greater degree but its hard to explain that to the meat hunters and the PAFBC.
Check the new 2017 PFBC fishing digest. You will see new regulations for the stocked/class A section of BFC from the mouth of Cedar Run to Bald Eagle Creek.

WildTigerTrout wrote:

Check the new 2017 PFBC fishing digest. You will see new regulations for the stocked/class A section of BFC from the mouth of Cedar Run to Bald Eagle Creek.

What are the new regulations?

Am I right in assuming that stocking and regular ATW regs will continue on Bald Eagle if Class A is adopted?

Or will stocking cease on that section?

Dave_W wrote:
Am I right in assuming that stocking and regular ATW regs will continue on Bald Eagle if Class A is adopted?

Or will stocking cease on that section?

I have not heard or read any announcements on that.

I wish a Class A designation would include reduced creel limits. Even if that meant something similar to Marylands 2 fish limit on wild trout water.

The amendment to the Class A management policy is that if a stream is found to have Class A biomass and was previously stocked prior to the amendment, it can continue to be stocked but only preseason and with reduced quantities.

Here is the policy
Stocking over Class A Policy

Skip over the bulk of it to the bold underlined art at the end. Thats what counts.

Maurice wrote:
The amendment to the Class A management policy is that if a stream is found to have Class A biomass and was previously stocked prior to the amendment, it can continue to be stocked but only preseason and with reduced quantities.

Okay, thanks Maurice - that sounds like a reasonable compromise.

Would this be the same for Kish creek... now that a lot of it is class A?

Only for sections that were recently added since 2013 if I understand the regulations correctly. And it "may" only apply to "New Streams" or stream sections with high angler use.

Maurice wrote:

Here is the policy
Stocking over Class A Policy

Skip over the bulk of it to the bold underlined art at the end. Thats what counts.

Hey Mo, that ^ proposal was voted down, if you recall. Below is the proposal that replaced it:

Annex A
Regulation No. 48A-255
Title 58. Recreation
Part II. Fish and Boat Commission
Subpart A. General Provisions
CHAPTER 57. STATEMENTS OF POLICY
§ 57.8a. Class A wild trout streams.
It is the policy of the Commission to manage self-sustaining Class A wild trout populations as a renewable natural resource to conserve that resource and the angling it provides. Class A wild trout populations represent the best of this Commonwealth’s naturally reproducing trout fisheries. [These] With rare exceptions, these stream sections are managed solely for the perpetuation of the wild trout fishery with no stocking. However, there may be circumstances that justify stocking a Class A wild trout stream. Prior to granting permission to stock a Class A wild trout stream under §71.4 (relating to stocking of designated waters), the Executive Director will obtain the approval of the Commission.

Link to source: http://www.fishandboat.com/Regulations/Documents/rulemakingsDocs/255finp.pdf

The Commission can grant permission to the ED to stock any Class A

Definitely wild fish there. There a some redds and I know of two tribs that have healthy reproduction going on each year. I applaud PFBC for conducting the survey and changing the designation.
I think you all are too focused on stocking. Gaining class A designation can, and should, lead to greater protections against pollution sediment and other detrimental activities. I assume PFBC will request this from DEP.

Of course they will continue stocking. Bald Eagle creek is a major, major opening day destination for both locals and those traveling from as far as 2 hrs away! Its a family affair with some families fishing there on opening day for generations. It will be interesting to get the reaction of locals. I am sure they will be very anxious that this will lead to "turning it into Spring Creek" (I say yeah!)

If in, let's say, 5 years PFBC finds they have to cut stocking due to budget problems one would think the first streams removed are those that have class A designation.

As someone who fishes it ~30 times a year I am very excited

This is good news fellows, relax. PFBC did a GOOD thing.

anyone know when this will be announced? Have a link on the news?

nymphingmaniac wrote:
anyone know when this will be announced? Have a link on the news?

The announcement that a list of streams (including Bald Eagle Cr) are proposed for Class A status and will be considered at the Jan PFBC meeting is on the PFBC website. I think it's under regulations.

So far I have heard nothing about future management of this section. I don't know if that will be discussed at the Jan meeting or not.

Back