Bad Vibes on remote waters ?

Ok, wbranch.
Is it another time yet?
Ready for that story!

steliejim wrote;

is it another time yet? Ready for that story!

Hmm, I'd have to sanitize it for publication! But it was epic.

I am an anxiety sufferer as well, and I have had my fair share of moments on large streams (such as the little J) during high flows where I got a little scared and panicky. My two worst experiences were on Spring Creek close to Milesburg and Big Fishing Creek.

In Milesburg, it was getting dark and these two guys walk down the railroad track and start talking to me as I'm trying to get back to my car. Both were really high on something and kept getting too close to me. I ended up telling them to back away and that I needed to leave. BFC I dropped my buddies costas in the woods in the narrows (I am a dumba**) so I went back to look for them on my own one day. It was rainy, cloudy, cold, and the wind made a really ominous noise I didn't like. I arrived and saw tons of deer carouses, trash, etc. on my walk in (I picked up the trash on my way out). Regardless, the whole time I looked for the glasses while fishing a little I just felt exposed and felt like I was being watched from all directions. Not really a good feeling when you are trying to do the activity that is supposed to relax us!

I am going to start carrying when I fish in remote areas most likely just for safety reasons. I already carry Sabre pepper gel which would bring a grown man to his knees in pain.

Skeet6 wrote:
JasonC wrote:
Speaking of carrying while fishing, what type of holster do you guys prefer? I wear chest waders so anything waistband related is out of the question for me.
I prefer a shoulder holster under a loose short-sleeve button down, worn open.
Mike B

that cannot be a help with casting.

You’re not alone. You perfectly described a feeling I occasionally get when a combination of things literally just gives me the chills when i’m alone on the water. Getting those bad vibes has made me turn right back around before reaching some prime water.

Fishing Lackawaxen a few years ago, I came up out of my run to meet my buddy for some lunch. As I stepped up out of the water, I heard (for the first time not on TV) a rattlesnake, about a foot from my waders. Took me way longer than it should have for the sound to register... what a weird half-black looking thing. Yeah, now still - every time I go to that area, I think there's going to be another. (I did look up and learn about black phase). Yuck. I like snakes about as much as spiders. (3 days in hospital from a Brown Recluse should tell you how much I like spiders).
Mike B

my gf carries pepper spray with her and it makes her more comfortable in the woods alone. There's no animal that wants anything to do with you in the woods though, you'll do a lot better once you get the idea out of your head they're stalking you.
That may be true in PA but it is certainly a possibility if you are fishing alone in remote sections of many Montana rivers. I've been told to never fish the North Fork of the Blackfoot without bear spray.

Grizzly paw print 640x480

Dug this thread up as opposed to starting a new one. I have a new area of PA that creeps me out the worst…Delaware Water Gap National Rec Area.

Draws too much of a NJ/NYC crowd. Feel like every time I park my vehicle to fish, there is something “weird” going on in the parking lot or nearby. I never feel easy leaving my vehicle there, and am constantly looking over my shoulder when fishing there. Have a couple more streams to check out, then I’m done with that area. Haven’t found a stream good enough to warrant a return trip yet anyway.

Even the Park Rangers are wacky. Now there is talk of it becoming a National Park. Residents in the surrounding area are dead set against it.

Even the Park Rangers are wacky. Now there is talk of it becoming a National Park. Residents in the surrounding area are dead set against it.
I was stopped with DaveS on the Delaware one time. We watched the rangers hiding in the bushes and then they came flying up on us in a canoe. They were different for sure. Posed with us for some pictures after the stop 😂

2 times I can remember being freaked out:

Penns, parked in the lot above cherry run. Fished all the way up to near broadwaters section. About an hour after dark, decided to head home. Turned on the head lamp and began to cross the stream. Light went out halfway through the first crossing. Had to stumble back to the car in total darkness. Kept hearing deer running around me but they were all bears in my mind. To top it off, drove up cherry instead of heading back towards weikert. Missed my turn on the gravel state forest road and lost another hour of my life driving in circles before popping out over toward Woodward.

One time in lower east of the Delaware, fished well after dark for MB spinner fall. No flashlight and slowly made my way up the bank to the head of the run which was the only place you could cross. I had met an eye surgeon from NYC on the Beaverkill the day before and had him follow me to this section. He was lagging well behind when I stepped into the knotweed. Evidently, we were being very closely watched / stalked by a bobcat. My clumsy steps caused me to trip and fall which made a ruckus. That spooked the cat who growled, screamed and ran past me like a bullet. I screamed and ran into the river. I wasn't shallow enough to cross but ran / swam and scampered up the opposite bank. Got into the car and grabbed the flashlight. Shined it back across the river to see the doctor just beginning his crossing. "WTF was that?" he asked when he reached the cars. "Thanks for getting me on some nice fish but I don't need that s**t" he said. LoL. Neither do I. Only been back there on foot twice in last 15 years and I had working light along

I stumbled upon a very large bobcat early one morning walking down to the Delaware to go shad fishing. The cat was preoccupied scavenging dead shad on the river bank. Both of us jumped and screamed at the same time. Later that morning a big bear decided to swim across the river. I could see that with the flow the bear was going to come out right about where I was wading.
I packed it up and hustled back to the Truck and went home. Just wasn't my day. Figured what's next ... step on a rattlesnake.

Last edited:
I would advise you guys never to read the story "The Dead Man at Wendigo Brook." -- Especially you guys who like to hike in, camp out, and fish. NOOOOOOOOOOO, don't read that story!

I stumbled upon a very large bobcat early one morning walking down to the Delaware to go shad fishing. The cat was preoccupied scavenging dead shad on the river bank. Both of us jumped and screamed at the same time. Later that morning a big bear decided to swim across the river. I could see that with the flow the bear was going to come out right about where I was wading.
I packed it up and hustled back to the Truck and went home. Just wasn't my day. Figured what's next ... step on a rattlesnake.
I fell asleep on a big boulder on the upper east one morning. Woke up when I heard a loud snap of a branch. Sat up to find a curious bear sneaking up on me from the downwind side. When I stood up, he might have been 15' away. I could have dusted Usain Bolt going up the embankment 🤣. I startled the bear and he did the same. He ran in front of my truck and I ran behind it. It wasn't a real big bear but it was at least 300# and that was too close for me. Nap in car only now

Hey all,

I realize the subject is cryptic, but try and hear me out here. Does anyone else, from time-to-time, get panicky on the water alone? And yes, I'm taking my mood stabilizers 🔨

The area I'm most susceptible to the ick is State Gamelands 211; Stony Valley in general. I'm a sucker for some of the mining-Appalachia "folklore" but idk...NEVER will I forget my first, and last, outing to West Branch Fishing Creek. (Spoiler alert: **** acidic water, more newts than brookies) Greeting me by the swampy-spring headwaters: A deer skull, pile of a deer? bones, and other bones I mistook for femurs. A flattened Coleman tent also shook me.

Where the creek runs narrow through some pines, the panic really set in. The wind picked up, and whistled ominously. Starting here, I simply felt watched. Something trampled a lot of brush, even a small pine tree. Fur matted the ground. Fumbled along until I reached a little meadow. This feeling persisted the whole 3 mile scramble to my Volkswagen. Had similar moments in the swamps below

Maybe I dodged a bear, upset a god, or both. Maybe I need a break from the "Gods of Appalachia" podcast.

Regardless, there's a reason people of these towns are so tight-lipped, and wary of outsiders. Anyone else have stories as such? Any tips on keeping calm+safe on solo expeditions?

When the mountains get fed up with me, my city slicker a$$ is quick to evacuate. Would greatly appreciate any feedback, cheers
I carry a 45
I think my wife would like to see me again
But in all seriousness, you just don't know what or who you might run into out on a trail alone these days.

I would advise you guys never to read the story "The Dead Man at Wendigo Brook." -- Especially you guys who like to hike in, camp out, and fish. NOOOOOOOOOOO, don't read that story!
Ha! Fun read. Thanks for making my lunch break more enjoyable.

I was driving into one of my favorite spots a couple years ago, driving down this old dirt road in the middle of nowhere and happened to be following this brand new Mercedes S-Class with blacked out windows, straight out of Miami Vice central casting. He pulled over so I could pass him, which I did but I was only 100 yards or so from my spot so I got to my spot and pulled over and got out and started putting on my waders. For whatever reason he didn't want to drive past me and sat there for like 5 minutes deciding what to do, then finally sped past where I was parked.
There's a sketchy looking house another 100 yards up the road. The Mercedes pulled into that house, then a guy comes out of the house carrying a shotgun and looks up and down the road like he's checking things out, then goes to the car for maybe 30 seconds, then the car comes back our way. My son and I are still putting on our waders on the tailgate, so I tell my son to come around to the front of the car (away from where this car is going to drive by). I laid my pistol on the hood where the driver can't see it but I can grab it quick. The Mercedes flys by and that's it.
The whole rest of the evening I had the heeby-jeebies and couldn't relax. My son and I usually split up or leapfrog up or down the creek, but I made him stay with me (cause I had the gun!!). I even ended up crawling up the bank to get cell service and text my one buddy that's a trooper the location and license number just in case. Thought I was being nuts until I was driving home and I get a text back that said "we're familiar with the place"!

Back