Attractor Wets?

PhilC

PhilC

I'm looking for some ideas on attractor wet flies. I've been using imitations of emerging hatches but not so much attractors.
Any ideas are appreciated....

the royal coachman wet fly is always a good attractor

Most traditional wet flies were atractors. They often sport bright wings or a colorful tag. Sometimes it is more subtle, sometimes it is not.

Here is a good website, it has pictures and the tying formula of a bunch of classics.

http://www.classictrout.com/wetflies.php

Black gnat, professor and march brown are all good.

Like the Royal Coachman, the Parmachine Belle is an attractor fly that was used mainly for native Brook trout but I catch Brown trout on it also. the Professer is a lot like the Parmachine Belle but easier to tie. The Grizzly king is like the professer except color.

The Black and Orange is a nice looking fly in the link below. There are a lot of nice patterns on this site.

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/bergman/

I really like that classic trout website, thinking about making a shadowbox of classic wets, and there are some excellent ideas there...

I like the wet flies from Eugene Macri
http://www.flyfisher.net/Wet-Fly-Patterns.html

He is from PA, they work well, and they remind me of the wets people fished on the other side of the state back in the 1960s when I started out.

A few patterns I really like lately are the Teal, Blue, and Silver and Pass Lake.

Brown Hackle Peacock and Grey Hackle Peacock are great flies and were always in Jim Leisenrings collections. Lot of similar peacock herled bodied flies with or without wings are old time local favorites across PA and work well. As long as we are discussing peacock herl flies, it never hurts to carry a Picket Pin or two.

Coachman, Leadwing Coachman, and Gold Ribbed Hare's ear either soft hackle or winged wet style are workhorses that have been catching fish since the dawn of fly fishing.

IMNSHO, alot of these flies are wet flies, but not attractors.

The Royal Coachman is a fine example of the latter, as would the Parachene Belle. Outlandish things that have no real reference point.

Things like the other Coachmen, GRHE, black gnat are far more likely to be confused for actual food.

I'm a proponent of partridge hackled flies, herl bodied or silk. I don't tie as many with wings, but I'm starting to change that. In addition to the simplest partridge-and-(orange, yellow, peacock, etc), I like fuzzy nymphs (flymphs) and the various pennel flies. Specifically black and yellow, which did well for me as a dropper during sulphurs last year.

I really dig the Assy Mcgees, and plan on churning a bunch of those out.

sniperfreak223,
When you get done with the showdow box post it, but make shure you max out your KBs on the pics. Don't put them all in the box, fish with some of them.
jeffk
The picket pin is the only fly I ever used squirrel tail on, I always have plenty of that. I always have picket pins with me.
gfen,
Most of the attractor flies were designed for native brook trout, I always use at least a touch of red in most of the flies I tie, black ants and nymphs, I'll use red thread for the head or red feather for tails. Thats why I like the Royal Coachman and Parmachine Belle.

buffalo7 wrote:
sniperfreak223,
When you get done with the showdow box post it, but make shure you max out your KBs on the pics. Don't put them all in the box, fish with some of them.
jeffk
The picket pin is the only fly I ever used squirrel tail on, I always have plenty of that. I always have picket pins with me.
gfen,
Most of the attractor flies were designed for native brook trout, I always use at least a touch of red in most of the flies I tie, black ants and nymphs, I'll use red thread for the head or red feather for tails. Thats why I like the Royal Coachman and Parmachine Belle.

Will do, but it's going to be a while, as I still need to track down all the materials and build the shadowbox...when finished, I will post the shadowbox and the individual pieces.

as to fishing them, I always tie my flies in groups of five, so one (the best looking one) will go into the shadowbox, the other four will go into the fly box.

Fish aren't as picky as people are. I fish mangled up flies all the time.

also, anyone else who visited the classic trout link go to the dry fly section and notice that must of the quill wings look to be tied in backwards?

sniperfreak223 wrote:
also, anyone else who visited the classic trout link go to the dry fly section and notice that must of the quill wings look to be tied in backwards?

I'm gonna bet that's personal preference, and the same guy (or guys) tied the bulk of those.

I know that the guy who taught me prefers to have the sweep of the quill meet the sweep of the tail and finds that the most visually striking, with the wings flared out.

I always flare mine in because it helps hide the suck.

I'ts all personal preference, I like the wings to sweep forward on dry flies, and down on wets. It'll go in the fishes mouth easier that way. I like them flaired out on dry, in on wet. I don't know if there is a propper way or not. I wouldn't change my way of doing it anyway.

Back