Are You a Spot Squatter?

troutbert wrote:
The term "Spot Squatter" implies that staying in one place is a bad thing.

But using that term does not prove, or even support, the notion that staying one place is a bad thing.

When it's crowded, many people think that staying in one place and patiently fishing there is the right thing to do, and is being respectful of other fishermen.

That is the tradition in many places, and IMHO you should respect that.

IMHO, four hours in one place, without a major hatch, without catching tons of fish (as far as I could see anyway) is the opposite of being respectful of other fishermen.

Just here to say that, where I come from, there's nothing negative about the term "squatting." Smoke em if you got em.

IMHO, four hours in one place, without a major hatch, without catching tons of fish (as far as I could see anyway) is the opposite of being respectful of other fishermen.

Disagree wholeheartedly.

A better argument can be made that if he was knocking them dead the whole time, and nobody else was, then get "enough" and let someone else have some fun is the respectful thing. That's pushing it as an "expectation", but it would certainly be a stand up move.

If he ain't catching anything, though. Holding your spot in crowded conditions is more respectful than bouncing around and elbowing in on others.

It’s all situational. On a busy weekend night during Green Drakes on Penns, the biggest gap in any good dry fly water may only be 20 or 30 yards. And that’s perfectly fine to fill a gap of that distance in those circumstances. If you don’t like fishing that close to others, settle for more marginal water, or stay home.

For Grannoms or Hendricksons, it may still be snowing at that time of the year, and you may have the stream more or less to yourself. Not acceptable at all to get within 20 or 30 yards of another angler when it’s like that. I wouldn’t get closer than 200 or 300 yards or so to another angler when it’s not crowded and there’s plenty of open water.

I witnessed a pretty good argument on Penns a couple years ago. It didn’t get physical, but came close, with both sides throwing pretty big tantrums. During Sulphurs IIRC. A guy was nymphing the riffle below the Winters hole from one side, and another guy crossed at the head of the riffle and began to work the other side. The water was high enough that they weren’t really working over the same water, but yeah, the second guy got too close. It was busy, but not that busy out.

Bottom line, if you want to fish a certain piece of water, get there first. Problem solved.

For small, wild Trout streams it’s completely different. The first guy there has the right of way to do whatever he wants IMO, and anyone who gets there after that should accept fishing the leftovers, or go to a plan B for the day elsewhere. You should never jump in upstream of another angler on a small stream. Unless you talk to him first and confirm how far up he plans to fish, and start upstream of there. Or, go so far upstream that there is zero chance of him fishing up that far…You’re probably talking a couple of miles on a small stream, at least. Assuming he is fishing upstream, it is ok to jump in downstream of him. Setting the alarm clock earlier, is again the answer. There may be a few weird, popular small stream exceptions…Valley, Big Spring, for instance, but for most small streams the above applies IMO.

I will spot squat or spot jump someone IF I see other anglers who I feel is a threat to possibly keep or harm fish on a wild stream and I know I'm in a good spot. I'll do what I feel I can to possibly protect the fish on that stream. Is that right to do? Eh, but it makes me feel better. If I'm fishing a spot and catching fish I'm not about to move to give another angler a chance to fish unless I'm getting bored with it and see its someone I can maybe help or mentor a little. I rarely hog a spot though if I'm not catching anything. I enjoy moving around on most waters and searching for active fish.

Last time I saw someone spot squatting during a dry fly hatch I let them go for a long time just watching. The guy just couldn't catch anything. I tried to have a conversation with him from a distance and he wouldn't acknowledge me. I decided to move in and just make a cast. It was a fairly large hole so there was kind of room for 2. I caught a fish on that one cast and went on my way. Just a grumpy dude who didn't know what he was doing. When I see someone hogging a hole not knowing what they are doing its frustrating to me. If you are friendly and throwing the fish back however I'll give ya some pointers and help ya out. I've done that a few times this year on Loyalsock.

I do it from time to time. One of my favorite things to do is fish small to mid-size streams all day, then in the evening, go to big water, pick out a nice spot where I think there will be bugs and rising fish, and spend the rest of the evening fishing that spot. It's relaxing, a great way to unwind after rock hopping all day.

One time I had a really good afternoon into evening fishing a Green and Brown Drake hatch and spinnerfall. No one was around which was great and I caught a few big ones. I went back to that same spot the next afternoon, arriving hours early just in case others might have found out and would get that spot. I "squatted" on the bank for about 6 hours. No one came and never even fished. The hatch never happened and no spinnerfall. Very weird. BUT I had a relaxing and meditative time just resting on the bank. Very memorable experience.

If you have a problem with squatters than move on why aggravate your self over it? Fishin' is fishing not catching.

Since I'm getting into the old guy category I can see the mobility issue more and more. For many of my older friends who can't really wade any more I park them at a good spot and leave them be. The spot must have a smooth bottom for firm footing - something that is harder to find on high gradient streams than most limestoners. I haven't fished the Yough, but expect it is tough wading and easy to wade spots are less common. The spot must also have plenty of fish so a person can work it a long time and still expect to catch a fish now and again. Parts of Spring Ck are perfect for this with smooth bottoms and loads of fish.

The older guys in my fishing circle are in their 80' and one was in his 90's until he recently passed. Another of my fishing friends has a severe balance problem from an inner ear tumor. It's nice to get these guys out on the stream even if they must "squat" a spot for a while.

I generally stay away from other people. Pretty wide berth but I generally keep moving when I’m not fishing a hatch or a spinnerfall. The fact that I fish long stretches of water I encounter other people. I just get out of the water, walk around them and get back in the water a reasonable distance away. Since I keep moving there is a wide berth between us in no time.

Since I fish through very quickly admittedly I am irritated by people holding spots by sitting on the bank waiting for a spinnerfall. I’ll be gone in 10 minutes, but out of courtesy I just walk around them. Seems like the right thing to do. However I rarely run into that scenario. The ones that setup chairs in the creek win the prize.

Prospector,
Your fishing style seems similar to mine. I may not cover the distance that a lot of “movers” do because I trout fish all habitat, but I keep moving and don’t “beat it to death.” This is what I practice in spin and bait fishing, so naturally it carried over to fly fishing. Additionally, many decades ago I decided that rather than fish to all of the tight-jawed fish that are present in a specific pool or run, trying to tease them into a take by switching lures or flies, I would keep moving and search out the day’s more cooperative fish.

A lot depends on pool length, but if I find someone “parked” for an extended period in a mid length to long length pool and I’ll fish the stretch that isn’t being utilized. That means, for example, if I have observed an individual standing in one place for an extended period of time and occasionally changing flies, but not fishing the fast water at the head end of the pool or the tail-out and those habitat types are out of the angler’s demonstrated fishing/casting range I consider that to be open ground for a little prospecting.

I swing wets a lot, so it’s cast, let the fly swing, when it’s directly downstream move down a step and cast across again. Conservatively that’s 6 steps per minute or 360 steps per hour. Usually there are shallow areas that get skipped over so there’s even more downstream progress.

I move faster fishing streamers, sort of a continuous walk but I stop and work an area when fish are chasing the streamer. Seems like aggressive trout actions motivate other trout to get involved. When the flashes stop I start casting and walking again.

Searching with a dry fly when nothing is rising is a slower pace than fishing wets since you need to work all of the lanes but a decent distance is covered.

Example-- 96 miles of stocked waters on Big Pine. I might have fished more from dunk to susq. to Brookland Club at West Pike.

My pals fish the same hole-day after day- everyday. I hate those guys, not for them as friends, as the log and rock i see all the time.

I will be truthful, the hold back was the crowd i fished with! Screw them, they will never, ever get close. Owassee, there eyes will never feast on "BEAUTIFUL". Feast on the Pig----I will feast on freedom!

Freedom is tied to you. Un bound it and enjoy. Friends come and go, you will last as long as your mind permits!

Got one---- for ya! Wicked Game-- Chris Isaak! Fell in love with Pa., never betrayed me!

Hello Roy, My name is Adam, met you before, we smoked a joint. "Thats why i forgot".------Big laugh, out loud!

Live it now! Wear that M F out!

Maxima12

Wasn't last Sunday, the 4th, a fish for free day? Maybe that had Ramcat stacked up.

I don't consider it "squatting". I'm a firm believer in "never leave rising fish to find more rising fish". If I wade to, or drift into water with rising trout i will stay there as long as they keep rising or until I feel I need to row, or walk, out before dark.

Prospector wrote;

The ones that setup chairs in the creek win the prize.

At my cabin on the WB there is no place to sit down along the shore so in the summer I take a beat up old lawn chair and set it in about 3" of water. I'm not a spring chicken anymore and enjoy sitting down scanning the pool for rises. If I see a rise I fish for it but typically always go back and sit down after catching it or being beaten by it.

wbranch wrote:
Prospector wrote;

The ones that setup chairs in the creek win the prize.

At my cabin on the WB there is no place to sit down along the shore so in the summer I take a beat up old lawn chair and set it in about 3" of water. I'm not a spring chicken anymore and enjoy sitting down scanning the pool for rises. If I see a rise I fish for it but typically always go back and sit down after catching it or being beaten by it.
WB,

Yes sorry about the overgeneralization. My comment was intended for folks that place chairs in the water where they intend to stand when they return to the creek at a later time. They are no where in the vicinity. You old warriors who have earned your stripes yet still find a way to get to the creek have every right to have a convenient spot to rest for a bit. That’s a whole different ballgame and a club I hope to become part of one day. Rather than the alternative of course.

My son and I will be spot squatting on the Lehigh tonight starting around 7 pm. Look for 2 generations sitting on rocks along the bank drinking Lager and Sprite waiting for the hatch. Please don't beat us there!

Prospector wrote;

You old warriors who have earned your stripes yet still find a way to get to the creek have every right to have a convenient spot to rest for a bit. That’s a whole different ballgame and a club I hope to become part of one day. Rather than the alternative of course.

Thank you. You can sit with me anytime at my cabin, share a libation, cast to rising trout.

Back