Are You a Spot Squatter?

greenghost

greenghost

I made a quick trip to the upper Yough yesterday just to wade frigid water on a 90-degree day. When I arrived at a popular area for fishing, it was crowded. Probably a dozen anglers on a relatively short stretch. I figured what the h@ll, it was a holiday weekend, super-hot, and the Yough was the only bigger-water trout game around. Like I said, I was there more for the cooling effects.

I found an open stretch and proceeded to fish. I noticed most of the anglers would fish for a bit and leave or move around. So, I was able to fish all the water in that stretch, EXCEPT a slower water flat where a pair of anglers stayed for all 4 hours I was there. It was a good place for floating dries, which is why, I'm sure, they stayed. But it’s a huge river with lots of open water. It didn’t seem to me they were catching a lot, so wasn’t sure why they were staying put. I wasn't mad or anything, but it would have been nice just to give that stretch a shot. I ended up moving to another area of the river. Fine, no biggie, but it got me thinking.

In my opinion, it’s common courtesy to fish a bit in a place then move on to let others try, especially if it’s crowded. Out of curiosity: How many of you move around on the water and give others a chance at a stretch and how many of you are stayers (aside from those special situations like Steelhead fishing, opening weekend of trout, or simply killing them in a certain area.) ?

I think you figured it out. They were likely “holding” that good dry fly water in hopes of a hatch starting, or, were only interested in fishing dries no matter what, and that was the best water for it.

This happens a lot on the bigger, popular limestone streams during prime hatch season. Most of the time, the good dry fly action doesn’t start until 7 or 8 pm, or later, but guys get there early to “hold” a spot down for the hatch the start. Some nymph for a while, and others, drink beer and try to pick off the handful of early risers.

I don’t have any issue with it. Get there earlier next time in the answer. Had they walked out, you, or others would have surely moved in. I got to Penns later than planned one evening this year. Paid the price as I struggled to find some good water that wasn’t already claimed. (Nothing was happening yet, and most guys were just sitting on the bank still.)

I can see both sides of the discussion. I always hear the "don't leave fish to find fish" in the back of my head when deciding to stay or go, and sometimes I'm just feeling lazy, but if I see an angler walking around near where I'm fishing, I usually take the hint that they want to give it a shot and I end up moving if I've been there awhile...

What's really funny is if they sit on that spot and you go around and below them and they get pissed.... As if they were just about to move down.

I spot squat a lot this time of year for the evening hatch. I pick a good run for the current flow where I know an evening hatch will occur. If somebody else is there, I go to PlanB. If not, crack a beer and wait....

No sense (IMO) hunting and moving a long the stream when you may only get 30-40 minutes of good dry fly action.

its all situational like the others have said but I like to move A LOT and rarely camp spots. Except for a really good spinnerfall or something like that

During popular hatches on popular streams, such as the sulphurs on Spring Creek and Green Drakes on Penns Creek, I think the tradition, i.e. what is expected, is to get there early, pick your spot, then stay there through the hatch.

That keeps things orderly. When it's crowded, people milling around creates chaos.

The real solution is to fish at places and times when it's not crowded.

troutbert wrote:
During popular hatches on popular streams, such as the sulphurs on Spring Creek and Green Drakes on Penns Creek, I think the tradition, i.e. what is expected, is to get there early, pick your spot, then stay there through the hatch.

That keeps things orderly. When it's crowded, people milling around creates chaos.

Add the Yellow Breeches at white fly time to that list.

It all depends on the stream, and what's expected. Some places, like the Barns pools on the Madison inside Yellowstone NP, the expectation is to cast, take a step down stream and repeat. In other places, like those mentioned, the expectation is to pick a spot and stay there.

I will spot squat. Part of it all. It looks different on different waterways, though. And I try to be respectful about it.

A truly crowded stream, like Penns or Spring during prime hatch. As was said, it's the way of things. Get there early, pick a spot, try not to pound it too hard, and wait for the hatch or spinners. Always have that "do I or don't I" moment when thinking about going up and nymphing that run before the hatch begins, knowing if you do, you stand a good shot of losing the hole you wanted for later. If you have a buddy or two, you spread out a little and try to cordone off an area.

The respectfulness? If someone else is there 1st I don't try to edge in. If someone else shows up and tries to edge in, I usually let them, but will say hey, focusing on this area here, you're welcome to that area down there, and you chit chat. Especially if it's 1 dude, cause he will help discourage that group of 4 or 5 who was gonna try to edge in shortly, hehe.

On big, uncrowded waters. No spot squatting. Just fish. Give other fishermen ample space. There's more than enough water for everyone. That even fits on a place like Penns or Spring on a weekday or early season and so forth.

On a small stream, it looks a little different. Some places, you leave if there's another vehicle. And if you are first, you leave something obvious which says you are fishing, like a rod tub visible. Sometimes you do fish but try to determine where said fisherman is and what direction he's heading and stay out of his path. Maybe he went down, so you go up, or whatever. If you walk past him, you say hey, where did you plan to fish to today? Ok, I'll go above there and start there. That kinda thing.

Sometimes I stay in a spot for awhile either because I'm catching fish,waiting for risers, or simply just like the spot and don't want to move. Other times I don't spend more than 15 minutes on a spot because im just looking for active fish. Every day is different, and I may even change my plan on the water. I give people a respectable distance, and expect the same from them.

If somebody walks around me because I'm standing still, I can't be mad at them for getting below me as it was my choice to stay in a spot for awhile. Very rarely do I get upset with other anglers, and if I do it normally involves their action; being obnoxious, throwing rocks, etc.

To me, if you're there it's yours until you leave. If you leave the spot because you're fighting a fish then it's still yours. If you reel up and walk away it's free game.

I don't have a ton of patience so I don't do it a lot on trout streams. When I used to fish for steelhead and salmon a lot more I was brutal about holding spots. I'd get there an hour or more before I could legally fish and just wait. And if it was an unknown spot, I'd make sure I didn't hook a fish when someone else was within eyesight. I hardly ever was beat to "my" spots.

In crowded places like Erie or a major limestoner during a major hatch on a weekend.

NOT spot squatting seems a lot like musical chairs, lol.

I sort of cringe hearing about some of this squatting on these crowded streams. I of course have been there and done it many times on Spring, Penns and elsewhere. I honestly just do not fish like that anymore. I rarely see anyone and if I do I go the other way.

Isn't is sad/awful that you have to do this.

I'll throw this out - maybe the guys had mobility issues or don't like wading bigger water. I usually let older folks fish where they want for those reasons.
Sometimes I like to move around, especially on off times when the water is open or not much going on. If there is a hatch on a popular stream, and i know fish are there, I will stay in one spot because usually the hatch is late/near dark so there really isn't time to move.
I usually like to give folks room to fish and will move past folks.

The term "Spot Squatter" implies that staying in one place is a bad thing.

But using that term does not prove, or even support, the notion that staying one place is a bad thing.

When it's crowded, many people think that staying in one place and patiently fishing there is the right thing to do, and is being respectful of other fishermen.

That is the tradition in many places, and IMHO you should respect that.

Are you a Harvey Hole Jumper?

Are you one of the people who tries to edge in when someone is fishing and you try to bump them out of there?

I've seen plenty of that.

pcray1231 wrote:
In crowded places like Erie or a major limestoner during a major hatch on a weekend.

NOT spot squatting seems a lot like musical chairs, lol.

Exactly! Like musical chairs, but without music. And done with irritation and annoyance rather than with any sense of fun.

I guess the idea of squatting is really more a social behavior . In other words you are a squatter when others are fishing nearby and may want to move in on your spot. I don't think it is really a negative thing at all.

I've also had guys try to move in on me. I usually don't say anything and just leave if they get too aggressive or rude. I have seen an actual fight break out one evening on the Delaware over just this kind of stuff. I hightailed out of there when that happened.

As far as staying at one spot I have done that many times. I will stay and keep trying for a particular big fish for several hours if it keeps coming up. I go through my fly box and keep trying different drifts etc. and more times than not it eventually pays off. My squatting is in response to fish not other anglers.

Staying at one spot and fishing patiently there is not a negative thing at all.

But the term "squatting" has inherently negative connotations.

Using a negative term is a way to IMPLY that someone is doing something wrong.

Rather than trying to prove it with logic and facts.

Suppose an elderly fishermen arrives for the sulphur hatch, picks a nice spot, and patiently fishes there for the evening. He's not moving around trying to "bump" people, crowd people, etc. He's just fishing a short stretch, not bothering anyone, leaving the other 15 miles of the creek for other people.

You want us to believe that's a BAD THING?

Go ahead. Make your case. Whaddya got?

The worst is when you have to leave a spot to squat, and lose the hole.

Happened once.

Back