Are polarized glasses a must?

It's worth noting that "polarized sunglasses" doesn't necessarily mean "expensive sunglasses." We're not considering a new car purchase here. I would never allow myself to own the nice glasses that many folks get; I would destroy them.

Poke around Amazon and you can get some polarized Wayfarer knockoffs at about 3 for $20. Basically disposable, but the lenses get the job done

Maybe not a must.
I fish only dries. And can spot rises fine without them.
Not really caring much to see fish sub surface.

But they sure clarify things.
And make fishing a lot nicer!

Required for me for a variety of reasons tactical, safety and comfort. And the higher the quality, the better. Same applies to driving.

Sun can do a great amount of damage to your eyes, just like your skin.
Using them to spot fish is not the primary reason I wear them.

For those who wear glasses, do you get prescription sunglasses, or sunglasses that you can wear over your regular glasses, or clip ons?

I get polarized prescription progressive lens. I tried to pinch Pennie’s once and just got the polarized, impact resistant prescription lens but didn’t get the progressives To save a little money. That was a mistake I won’t make again.

For those who wear glasses, do you get prescription sunglasses, or sunglasses that you can wear over your regular glasses, or clip ons?
As I said in my post earlier, I use Cocoons. Reasonably priced. Black out the lens colored side panels and they do the job. Despite wearing progressive lenses, I still need a separate pair of reading/tying glasses, in order to do both comfortably.

The wear-over kind. I want to be able to remove my sunglasses at dusk and still be able to see. I wore the clip-on for decades, but they did tend to scratch the lenses on my regular glasses.

Walmart sells clip ons for about 15 bucks. I used them a lot before buying prescription sunglasses last year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220703-212849_Walmart.jpg
    Screenshot_20220703-212849_Walmart.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 9
I wear polarized prescription bifocals.
Well worth the expense IMO.

Didn't care for clipons.
They would shift around, and come off occasionally.

Fitovers work OK. And I still have a pair for backup.
But they tend to fog up in humid or wet weather

Yes.

I wear polarized prescription bifocals.
Well worth the expense IMO.

Didn't care for clipons.
They would shift around, and come off occasionally.

Fitovers work OK. And I still have a pair for backup.
But they tend to fog up in humid or wet weather
All of the above: same!

Hi all. Just wondering if I really need polarized sunglasses. Are they worth it? I have become decent at spotting trout but was wondering if they could help me catch more fish?
Polarized glasses will open up a whole new underwater world for you!

for one reason so i wont fall down while wading gotta see where your wading

I think polarized glasses are nearly a must, except at dawn and dusk. Not only that, but I think it might be the one thing where "should I get the higher end ones" actually pays off in more fish caught. Higher priced rods, lines, flies, waders, boots, etc. are nice and all, and might last longer, but I don't think any of them catch me more fish. Better glasses do.

It's not just about seeing fish. Sometimes you can. But most often it's about reading water, seeing bottom structure and knowing where to cast.

Absolutely yes. Less eye strain, protects your eyes from the harmful rays of the sun. Cuts the glare and lets you see right into the water. If I go on a trip I bring two pairs. If by some weird scenario I forget my Poloroids I will go to a Walmart to buy a pair. I've never owned a pair that cost more than $25 except when I was still buying prescription Poloroid sunglasses. Many guys I fish with swear that you must buy high end sunglasses that can cost up to $300. I guess they are more effective, and may last longer, than my $25 glasses. But in my opinion any poloroid sunglass is much better than no sunglasses.

Hi all. Just wondering if I really need polarized sunglasses. Are they worth it? I have become decent at spotting trout but was wondering if they could help me catch more fish?
Absolutely yes! I like to see the boulder field that is the bottom of most of the water that I fish. It sure helps with sighting fish also.

Back