Anyone seeing cicadas

I fished yesterday in Berks County and was all set to throw some cicadas but none were to be found. Didn't see or her any at all. Kinda disappointing after all the hype.

I’m heading out tomorrow for two day…hoping the fish are starting the get turned on and I can find some

Hatching in good numbers in Northern Lancaster now

CICADA
Traveled quite a bit in the last week and was listening for cicada while driving. Columbia to Harrisburg on 441 | Wrightsville to Holtwood along the river | Lake Redman.

I haven’t been finding a lot. There are scattered pockets. Only two areas seemed to have significant noise.

There was a small pocket around York Haven Dam on the Lancaster side.

Also, there was a large infestation north of Otter Creek near the river. Difficult area to fish/park

I was driving down 283 towards Lancaster last night on the way to a volleyball game. I heard a loud drone/hum at various patches of woods along the way, from E-town to Salunga. At first I thought something was wrong with my car, but after identifying the sound only showed up when woods were present, I'm pretty sure it was the cicadas droning.

I live in this area and it is remarkable how localized they have been. I am on the opposite side of a ridge from the current hatch and I can hear a dull hum all day outside with only a few spotty examples near my house. Less than a mile away it is a constant loud drone. No trout streams near there but I am going to check out some still water this weekend and hope they are dialed in on them.

First hand experience.....tons of cicadas luzerne county near nanticoke. Harveys creek nearest ATW.

Memo to those of you who won't be in a nursing home the next time Brood X comes around:

Write down or mark the locations where people say they have seen them in 2021 so you don't have to ask all over again in 17 years...

;-)

Bamboozle wrote:
Memo to those of you who won't be in a nursing home the next time Brood X comes around:

Write down or mark the locations where people say they have seen them in 2021 so you don't have to ask all over again in 17 years...

;-)

Good idea.

Then try to find that scrap of paper, or computer file, where you recorded that info 17 years ago. :-o

Dang! I bought Brood x tee shirts and decals. I feel so foolish.

Any chance of trading them in for "Brood ?" tees... ;-)

The other day I grabbed a spinning rod and some small surface plugs to make a few casts at a local Montco STW about five miles from my property that happens to be LOADED with cicadas.

I called my wife and told her IF I heard them, I would be home by 5:00, if not, I would be home before her. Literally less than a half mile down the road, the drone of the cicadas was gone and when I got to the creek, it was apparent there were none to be found so I turned around and went back home.

Even though I know it is blown out from all the rain, today I am reconnoitering another STW in Berks not far from me just for kicks but I expect the same results.

This spottiness is exactly what I experienced the last emergence. However at that time, I didn’t live where I live now and I had none on my property which made it a little easier to deal with because I wasn’t listening to them 24 hours a day and seeing them flying all around so it was easy to forget about them.

Another couple of weeks and we’ll all forget about them until the next emergence when everyone will forget how spotty it was this time…

Had a great morning on a local still water in Dauphin County. The air was thick with Cicadas. If I had tied my flies on a smaller hook I might have got 50 plus sunfish. The bigger ones did just finer. Managed several nice largemouth and saw a few carp feeding out of range. I had hoped for the carp. If you find them you will be on.

I did have issues with the bass deep hooking. Crushed barbs fixed that.

Got out for two days this week…the trout and smallmouth were willingly taking cicadas…we managed one carp but they were a little weary but I bet they should start to turn on in the next couple days

Back