Anyone seeing cicadas

tstooge26

tstooge26

Hello all

Looking for some help, not looking for any specifics but just general areas. I’m planning on making the trip out to take advantage of the cicadas. I’m seeing reports on the Juniata river but seeing if anyone out around the bedford or Huntingdon area can let me know if they are seeing any. I just a new baby so I don’t have a ton of time to drive and look around. I use the cicadas safari app but hoping to get some info from some locals on the areas they are seeing them. Was planning staying in Bedford and hitting the Juniata and the different branches but if anyone is willing to share any information that would be greatly appreciated. Willing to go other places if it’s better suited.

Thanks for any information

Good afternoon tstooge26...
A long haul for sure but I live in Upper Bucks County and the number of cicadas is staggering! They are so loud we can hear them in the house with windows and doors closed. So many shed exoskeletons in the driveway it's like walking on potato chips. I'm pretty sure this emergence will exceed the 2004 crop.
Good luck in your search.

Here in MD, there all over the place, There all over the school grounds where I work.

I appreciate the feedback...I don’t think I’ll be able to get all the way to to burks but somewhere central pa between Bedford and Harrisburg...Maryland maybe an option though

Crusader rabbit,

Thats funny, I live in central Bucks, and have yet to see or hear any at all

just came back from raystown. tons of them hatching and in the trees but little to none on the water yet. sunfish eagerly chopped at my cicada patterns though and the bass were completely uninterested as were the carp i targeted.

timmyt2.....

Yikes ! We're under siege. I'll try to post some photos.

CR

Timmy2: Hayckock area of the Nock had some as did Towhee. They are spotty, but profuse when you find them.

Glad to here they are in Bux! I have not heard them yet in Montgo, my home area, nor Northampton and Monroe where I fished a lot this spring.

Cicada Safari shows nothing north of 78 & 22. Brood X historic county maps include Lackawanna. I was hoping they would emerge up here or at least along the Lehigh. So far, nada.

I heard some in the trees at Rockport 2 weeks ago

https://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-nws-where-are-the-cicadas-20210603-bkkmakxlc5arvo6wzuy32r7p5q-story.html

Fly-Swatter wrote:
I was hoping they would emerge up here or at least along the Lehigh. So far, nada.

I found them along the Lehigh back in 2013 (White Haven-ish). It's possible the broods could be mixed up that way.

2013 was Brood II, a completely different group of periodical cicadas and because Brood II appeared in a certain area DOES NOT mean Brood X will appear in those areas as well.

That's part of the problem, people are confusing this brood (Brood X) with others.

If you weren't in rompers in 2004 and actually REMEMBER where they appeared then, expect them there NOW.

The maps out there are very close to useless because many are old and outdated and/or they don't account for how spotty the emergence is within a region.

Bottom line, they are out in force right now (my property is loaded) in every area where they emerge so if you don't hear what almost sounds like a car alarm going off in the trees…

…you won't!!

If you do hear them, it is actually a bit early yet to expect great fishing. It will probably be a near the end of June before mating & egg laying is complete and they start dropping or falling into the water so you have PLENTY of time.

They're heavy in my neck of the woods (as they were in '87 and '04) but not everywhere in consistent numbers. A patch of woods will just be swarming with 'em and they're really loud and a few hundred yards away in a similar patch of woods they are almost non-existent.

The fish are definitely starting to key on 'em and I had fast and furious action yesterday. I have been tossing naturals and they don't drift far before fish start slashing at 'em. It can be hard to hook the fish if you're dealing with smaller wild trout or sunfish, as I have been.

I haven't heard any yet in the western Poconos.

I live near Tuscarora SP. I haven't seen or heard a single cicada here. Yesterday at work near Hickory Run SP I did hear some cicadas.

Some areas have a ton of them, other areas have none. I’ve seen and heard plenty of them in York, Lancaster, Cumberland, Dauphin, Schuylkill, Perry and Juniata Cos. over the past two weeks while working in these areas.

The upper end of Dauphin county is loaded with them. I fished Cicadas for a couple of hours this morning early before the heat started. Was one of my best days this year. I also caught my first tiger trout so that was a bonus. I’ll try to post a pick later.
BTW, I fished this same area early yesterday using various dry flies and didn’t catch a thing.
I don’t remember who on this forum said to fish the cicada by landing it hard on the water. I can confirm it works. Whoever it was, thank you for that!

Spoke to someone yesterday that said they were present in Huntingdon borough. Haven't seen or heard of them in the northern part of the county.

Back