Another big improvement...this time a limestoner

M

Mike

A formerly degraded urban-suburban SE Pa limestoner has made a substantial improvement. An approximately 5.5 km segment has gone from a fairly low density, relatively low biomass wild brown population in two-thirds of that stretch and no wild trout in the upper third in the 1990's to a mix of probable class B and class A equivalent segments in 2015. These situations are always satisfying.

What limestoner is this you're speaking of?

What was the cause of the improvement?

Takem wrote:
What limestoner is this you're speaking of?

For a variety of reasons, not everyone cares (or needs) to identify certain streams by name.

Sometimes a polite PM to the OP can bring further info... but most of the time, if a stream isn't identified, it's best to accept the rational for not mentioning it. That is the prerogative of the OP.

Mike wrote:
A formerly degraded urban-suburban SE Pa limestoner has made a substantial improvement. An approximately 5.5 km segment has gone from a fairly low density, relatively low biomass wild brown population in two-thirds of that stretch and no wild trout in the upper third in the 1990's to a mix of probable class B and class A equivalent segments in 2015. These situations are always satisfying.

Great to hear.
Although I'm sure every survey doesn't produce positive results, it certainly seems to me that - at least in central and SEPA - there is mounting evidence that wild trout are thriving.

Kind of useless information if one is not willing to indicate which stream he is talking about. If he is not willing to provide that, why bother with the post at all?

Just my opinion.

To inform the public that streams are improving, perhaps? Do we only care about the quality of water when it benefits our fishing, or do we care because we truly value cold, clean water?

Like troutbert, I'm more curious as to why there was such a substantial increase in the wt population. Is it possible that the positive results from this survey are from better watershed management, natural rehabilitation of the watershed, a population sampling anomaly, or something else? I'm just curious.

We need to know the stream so we can plunder the little gems.

I've been reading a lot of fly fishing blogs and forums lately, and there's been a marked increase in the reluctance to identify locations specifically. Particularly in the case of small wild trout streams.

Good. I get why that is, because I've been reading these forums for around ten years. The Internet does publicity like nobody's business. Or something like that. And everyone gets to read pages like these, right down to the poachers.

I'd bet that I could probably figure out the stream in question by doing 1-2 hour's worth of research on-line. But I think that's going to be the trend- the most that we'll get are some clues. I anticipate less and less open public full disclosure, naming names on-line. I was just down in the Smokies- the NPS has apparently done a recent stream survey and they found ten new wild trout streams/tribs. They are not planning on giving names to any of them.

joebamboo wrote:
Kind of useless information if one is not willing to indicate which stream he is talking about. If he is not willing to provide that, why bother with the post at all?

Just my opinion.[/quote

A+ response to the original post.

Why bother posting about it at all? Whats the point if your the only one who know about it?

It's Trindle. Now go fish it and stop at Wegman's for a mixed six! :pint:

evw659 wrote:
Like troutbert, I'm more curious as to why there was such a substantial increase in the wt population. Is it possible that the positive results from this survey are from better watershed management, natural rehabilitation of the watershed, a population sampling anomaly, or something else? I'm just curious.

I'm curious also. And this information is valuable, useful.

Information on what works in one stream can be applied to other streams.

Hey guys I figured out how to cure cancer. I won't indicate which cancer or how it's done, but I thought it would be informative.

What's interesting about this post is the OP is the PAF&BC Regional Biologist (may not have title correct) and has not been hesitant to share specific stream information in other instances. I find the lack of specific information in this post inconsistent with others he's made.

I suspect this stream is in the Lehigh Valley somewhere. Just a hunch.

I should add, I'm not likely to fish the stream no matter where it is, if it is identified.

Isn't part of the interest in FF finding streams that produce? How about the satisfaction of locating a good population from your own work?
Mike is simply saying that there's another stream that's improved greatly. You're welcome to enjoy the search, and if you're good at the search, you've earned a good fishing trip.
Do you all need to be spoon fed?

In principle, I agree with FI's position on respecting the OP's wishes when it comes to naming a stream in a thread. If he wanted it named, he would've named it the first time. No sense in asking. That being said, I too did find it a bit odd coming from a PFBC representative. I woulda figured this success story would want to be promoted by the Commission?

From just my recollection, and briefly reviewing of some of the OP's other posts, along with the context clues in the OP here, I'm about 90% sure I know which stream...and I've never fished it! It can be figured out with a little time and clicking around. In due time the good survey results will likely get leaked or published elsewhere by the PFBC and we'll all know which one it was. Even if we've forgotten this thread.

When stream surveys show that the trout population has gone DOWN substantially, are those also reported on here?

Swattie87 wrote:
That being said, I too did find it a bit odd coming from a PFBC representative. I woulda figured this success story would want to be promoted by the Commission?
I agree, but can you imagine the flack he'd get if he did name the stream? Too many folks worried about "spot burning" makes one have to handle things this way. This man works hard to keep us updated (he doesn't have to) on many issues, so him not mentioning stream names bothers me not, he's just being smart about it. You can't please all the people all the time, it's that simple.

Here's what the PFBC defines as the "Southeast". So that's a starting point...

region_se.gif

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/troutregs_se.htm

Back