A Story About Trout Survival

B

Brown71

Ive posted before my lack of belief that trout are as wimpy as many fly and spinfishers included believe. This spring/summer kind of solidified my belief.

In around May we brought back 8 STOCKED brook trout, ranging from 9" to 14" and put them in a tiny stream in a relatives property for my young child and nephew to fish for them. In fairness, this is a fairly cold stream. But we knew full well these trout would be not the easiest handled, being that small kids are fishing/handling them.

Well, its now September, and even after being caught probably 30 times each, held, dropped, googled over by little ones, all 8 trout are still alive and actually look great. Its acutally something. But, animals are all survivors. And trout are no different.

Glad to hear your fish are doing well and have been able to provide great memories for the youth anglers. If there are wild brook trout nearby you may want to reconsider leaving the stocked brook trout there long term.

Lyco, thank you! Our little dudes are really into fishing. Already have fished many many streams and lakes and for about every species you can think of lol.

As far as the trout, we likely will leave them there. No wild brooks in this stream for sure. Their biggest risk is if the flow just gets too low, then I’d remove them. It almost was getting there before the hurricane rains, then that pretty much alleviated that, for now.

Back