A Mess On My Hands?

UncleShorty

UncleShorty

Last year I ordered a 4 wt 8-1/2 ft rod and a reel w/ 4 wt line from a "respected" manufacturer's website.

They sent a 9 ft 5 wt rod and a reel w/ backing and a WFF line.

I talked to their customer service and got the desired 4 wt rod shipped to me. "OK", I thought, "I'm set now."

Being a novice I never thought to check the line wt.

Yesterday I weighed the first 30' of line on my highly accurate digital scale. (No, I don't weigh that stuff. It's my hop scale for brewing.) The line weighed 140.1 grains.

That, according to several websites is a 5 wt line.

Can some of you "journeymen" confirm that it is a 5 wt line, given my scale reading?

Would you install a 4 wt line on the reel? What are the pros and cons of making the swap or keeping the 5 wt set-up?

As I say, I'm a novice. But I have taken some casting lessons from a certified instructor. He cast the rod and didn't comment. With the current set-up I'm good casting out to about 40 ft, which is sufficient for the streams I fish. But roll casting seems difficult, (that may be due to deficiencies in my technique. It's hard to learn to roll cat in the back yard).

Any advice would be considered and appreciated. Thanks.

You wouldn't by any chance still have the box that the line came in, would you? If so, this could be a big help and you could find the answer without needing the scale..

Even if it turns out to be a 5 wgt. line, its not such a bad thing. A lot of today's faster rods actually perform a bit better with a slightly heavy line. Or so I'm told. I don't have any of today's faster rods.

If it is a 5, it won't hurt the rod and will probably make it a bit easier to make longer casts when the occasion or need arises. Eventually, you'll want to get a 4 wgt. though, if indeed you don't have one now. That's why it would be nice if could find the box.

What everyone else said. I actually like to overload most of my rods when fishing, especially the shorter, lighter rods.

Heres some good info - http://www.scientificanglers.com/choose-right-fly-line-weight/ - much better than me trying to explain it.

RLeep2 - Unfortunately, the line came pre-installed on the reel so there is no box. I ordered 4 wt WFF, but I don't think that's what I got...

Thanks Steveo I'll "give it a tink"...

What is the difference in weight as you measured it, between what you got and a "true" 4-weight? Are you sure you measured the line length that you weighed accurately? A small difference 1-2 feet could skew your assessment of the actual line weight you received. I would videotape the entire first 30 feet being slowly pulled from the tip top, then weigh it on the same continuous video. If the deviation from standard is more than 50%, I am sure the seller will reimburse you for your inconvenience.

You can typically deviate 2-3 line sizes on modern rods. If you picked up a med/fast to fast action, you probably will like the line being 1 size heavier. Helps you feel the rod load a little better.

Knowing the rod make and model + line manufacturer would be very helpful info.

Jack M - I laid out the line on the kitchen floor and then set my tape measure to 4 [feet] in the kitchen counter. I measured 30 [feet] of line and marked it with a dot using a Sharpie.

I put a bowl on the scale and tared it. Then I put the line in the bowl and held onto the line about 3 [inches] past the 30 [ft] mark.

The first try was 140.3 [grains].

I then repeated the experiment a second time. That yielded 140.1 [grains], spot on for a 5 wt line.

So I have a high level of confidence in my results.

A 4 wt should have tipped the scale at 120 [grains] so my measurement would have needed to be off by almost half a foot.

The more I ponder it, the more I believe it is a 5 wt line...

Over a length of 30 feet, you measured a 20 grain=1.45 gram (1 and one-half paperclips) difference, right?

I always thought a weight forward line had, well, additional weight in the first 10 yards compared to a double taper anyway. I think I read somewhere that a WF is suppose to be the equivalent of one size heavier in its fist 10 yards. Visually comparing my 5 WFF and 5 DTF, the WFF is thicker on the front end and thinner the rest of the way.

How's it perform various casts that you'd typically use? If you like it, why not use it like it is. Like a previous poster said, some new lines are intentionally a bit heavy on some weights, I know Cabelas states that overtly on some of their lines & weights.

Lots of times it's a personal feel thing anyway; if you don't like it, then call them and see what they say. But if you like the way it casts & handles, you might want to think otherwise. Either way, I'd go with how you like the way it casts as the criteria.

I'd fish that line and never give it another thought.

UncleShorty wrote:
RLeep2 - Unfortunately, the line came pre-installed on the reel so there is no box. I ordered 4 wt WFF, but I don't think that's what I got...

Remove the spool and look for a sticker on the back side plate of the spool. The line size and type may be there on a sticker.

springer1 wrote: Like a previous poster said, some new lines are intentionally a bit heavy on some weights, I know Cabelas states that overtly on some of their lines & weights

I know Orvis does the same thing with some of their lines. I use their Clearwater lines on a few reels and they specifically state on the description of the line "Built a half-size heavy to help load the rod".

I prefer to match the rod and line weight. A pro for heavier line is that you can definitely feel the weight of the line and the rod loading better, and that can help you improve your casting. I would never go with lighter line than the rod, because of the lack of feel for the line. It is all about what feels right for you. If it is 5 wt line, I would recommend trying 4 as well and seeing which one you cast better with.

Lines are sized by the weight of the first 30 feet excluding the level front tip. Probably won't make a difference in your measurement though. As mentioned most lines are a half to one full weight heavy these days in order to load the broomsticks. Rio Grand and Sci Angler GPX, e.g. Fish it, if it's not good for you contact the seller and file a complaint.

UncleShorty wrote:
That yielded 140.1 [grains], spot on for a 5 wt line.

Well, actually the 5wt standard is anywhere from 134-146 grains, with many modern lines being more like 150+ grains.

You'll hear people claim that Cortland Sylk is light for it's designated weight. It's actually right on the money, compared to other modern lines "right on the money" seems light.

As others have said, you may very well be happier with the line you have rather than a lighter one, especially if you're not looking to make 70' casts with it. (And if you are, why did you get a 4 wt?)

Also, no line is going to roll cast well on a lawn; you need water to test that.

Per the AFFTA Approved Fly Line Weight Specification a 5 wt line should fall within a range, in grains, from a low of 134 to a high of 146, with a sweet spot at 140. For a 4 wt the specs call for a range from 114 to 126, sweet spot at 120.

So it seems go me I've got a 5 wt line.

Having, in my considered opinion, never cast the rod with a 4 wt line I'm curious as to how it would perform.

So I guess the thing to do is buy a known 4 wt line, install it and throw it around some. If I like it, I keep it spooled up. If I don't I can re-install the 5 wt.

Or, just givin' it a tink... Xmas is coming, Santa could bring me a 5 wt 9 footer, a new reel, 100 yards of backing and a 4 wt line in a box.

That'd solve all my problems...

What "respected manufacturer" is the rod and line from? How about model numbers?

If it will cast properly for your intended distances, you should have no problems.

Don't overthink it.

Back