A "great" fly fisherman

larkmark wrote:
Ha ha! I actually saw a guy at Spring creek carrying a fly rod rigged with nymph set up, one with dry fly and a spinning rod in his back pocket. The hilarious part was he fell down the bank and into the creek.Saw another guy over there wading the creek and he had a radio or something blasting country music in his pocket. Unreal.

I haven't seen anyone with two rods in years but I remember seeing a few many years ago. Usually two cane rods. In those cases I think they were fairly good fly fishermen. I think they set the extra rod on the bank. 60ish years ago.

I know that I am not a great fly fisherman. It is one of the many reasons why I am a member and regular poster on this very educational and informative message board.

I always want to learn more than I know to get better at what I love to do as I advance past age 60 learning fly fishing.

That said, nobody is more guilty than myself of multiple fly rods on fishing trips.

I am not pretending to be an expert. I inherited both my grandfather's and fathers fly rods and honor them by fishing with their favorite fly rods each and every time I fish at the R&G that my grandfather helped to found in the Western Poconos.

I have more fly rods than I can possibly fish with but I am never going to lose the memories that I had fishing with my father and grandfather.

I may have all of those fly rods, but I don't have my father or grandfather any more.

I don't mean to offend anyone. I just thought it was humorous. Maybe the multiple rod thing is just around here. It usually involves a flyrod and spinning rod. I have a few rods myself but other than in a boat I don't carry more than one. Does that mean I am a great fisherman? I have seen guys who were great casters who weren't really good fishermen. Also guys who catch a lot but are sort of crappy human beings, bragging and insulting. I'm no fan of celebrity status on general. Often when you scratch the surface of thee well known hot shots there is a huge ego. Lots of them just have a phony public persona to make money etc. The greatest fly fishermen are guys that hardly anyone knows about who quietly go about the sport and maybe share with a few friends or family. Most of them are also dead and gone.

I was never offended by any of the above posts.

I have known one. Fished, and worked, into his 80’s. He would fish until dark every time, fish after work as often as possible, split his after fish dinner in half to share with his wife when he got home. Fished through rain and snow squalls, tied flies to supplement his income.
He passed away walking to his favorite section of river on a sunny April afternoon, they found him the next day. He was my friend and I still miss him.

blueheron wrote:
I have known one. Fished, and worked, into his 80’s. He would fish until dark every time, fish after work as often as possible, split his after fish dinner in half to share with his wife when he got home. Fished through rain and snow squalls, tied flies to supplement his income.
He passed away walking to his favorite section of river on a sunny April afternoon, they found him the next day. He was my friend and I still miss him.

Sorry for your loss, but for him a great way to go I would say. It's too bad he didn't make it to the stream one more time to catch his last fish.

Thanks Tom. No one is ever really remembered as great until they’re gone. Frankly, the term great doesn’t apply to something as relatively insignificant as fly fishing.

Imo, a great fly fishermen cares more about the fish, than the fishing.

Back