A fix too late that cant wait?

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
Hi guys,
Again, it's good to know I'm not alone; but it is frustrating that we are for the most part a severe minority.

Maurice, I don't agree that mandatory Best Management Practices will negate, in the least, the legal definition of "best use" for political purposes. Best use is the term used to define the selling or giving away of public and community assets to private interests. Whatever gains the greatest apparent, and immediate benefit is deemed "best use".
Legally, as I've been told many times over many years, long-term stability and long-term benefit has no bearing on "best use".

For example, there were many acres of small community watersheds that were transferred to private interests, subdivided and converted into sellable mega-home and vacation/hunting spots, all across the state, at the urging of the state.

Rhetorically, I ask: Was this the "best use" for the communities served by the state Administration, the legislators, the local municipal government leaders?

The main reason given for urging the consolidation of water companies, and the transfer of formerly public watersheds to private interests was public drinking water safety.

It was a crock. Follow the money.

Furthermore, although this occurred prior to 9-11, I did privately express to state officials my concern of how vulnerable the populations served by consolidated water supplies would be to potentional water safety problems - either through deliberate actions or negligence.

Of course, I'm that wacko, flyfishing outdoor-loving freak who isn't interested in showcase homes on farmland, and on upland habitats.

Even 25 years ago, when I pointed out the fact to officials that residential properties invariably create more demand for taxes than they generate, and perhaps some changes to the Municipal Code could be made to allow municipalities to shut down residential development, I was ingored and patronized.

Follow the money. It's all overseas and in the pockets of those who have been trashing their neighborhoods in order to afford getaway travel, etc.

It's never too late. That said, without the DEP tightening up the requirements on sewage discharge and doing something to discourage siltation from private land, TU should save the money. Work on the headwater streams is much more important, as it creates fishable waters. If the Susq can get cleaned up, then groups can justify expenditures on it.

Why didn't we learn from Europe

Why is there a 3000 cow unit on Spruce Creek

why did the owner of that unit get a reward for "outstanding stream stewardship"

LJ if you need to provide some backup information to go with the above complaint. You won't though because you never do, you just love to post incoherent material on a website because it makes you feel important.

Why is there a livestock unit on Spruce Creek? Pretty easy, that is what the farmer relies on for a livelihood, whether it is milk production or sale of the meat. Pretty pathetic for a person of your so called IQ not to be able to figure that one out.

I am sure he received an award because he made streamside improvements to his farm. This may include but is not limited to planting stream buffers and placing fences to prevent his cattle from entering the stream. Again this is just a guess because you provide no explanation, like usual. You are embarrassing yourself with each and every post you make like this, hope you realize that.

You should see the pastures around my area, when a cow lays down it squashes a wild brownie.

Farmers gotta make a living too though. Its not cheap putting fence around an entire stream section, just so the cows don't step in it. Most farmers have no idea wild trout are possible or valuable.

If the farm got a stream award they must've done something right.

Why didn't we learn from Europe

Because we won the war? :)

If the farm got an award they must be doing somethin right.

hammertime wrote:
You should see the pastures around my area, when a cow lays down it squashes a wild brownie.

Farmers gotta make a living too though. Its not cheap putting fence around an entire stream section, just so the cows don't step in it. Most farmers have no idea wild trout are possible or valuable.

If the farm got a stream award they must've done something right.

In Idaho there is just as much water and ag land...maybe more. Its a choice, a priority. Farmers choose not to do anything.

Out there conservation groups and government agencies (BLM...Water Resources, TU) will come and fence off those stream segments for farmers, ranchers and similar. Most times free of charge.

They do it here too.

http://www.nfwf.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Live_Stock_Exclusion

TomG.........there is a good example of that on Big Spring Creek in Newville , Cumberland County , there was a lengthy area used by a farm for grazing and access to water for the cattle , they fenced off the whole thing except for a small (MAYBE 30') opening , which still let the cows get in there for a drink _____{ }______ , like that , heh. I'm not sure who paid for it but you can see it from the road going downstream from the Heritage Water.

Back