A day at Seglock Run

+1 foxtrapper although the rain should ensure it's not fished for a little bit. I wouldnt touch that stream again for about a month, at least not in the same spots. There are plenty of other streams out there to explore and a good many that are a lot better than this one. A better Idea would be to have a stream clean up day to remove all the garbage which I think many of the hammer creek faithfuls have already suggested.

One could hardly spot burn Segloch. It has been publicized numerous times in newspapers, etc and many remember when it was a stocked trout stream removed from the stocking program due to its class A status. It has clearly been pretty immune to whatever early spring fishing pressure that it receives, as it was one of the study streams in which early spring wild trout abundance (legal size fish) vs mid-summer legal wild trout abundance was assessed and showed that that mid- summer abundance was higher. Biomass was also higher. This typified what was found elsewhere around the state in both wild brook and wild brown trout streams.

Mike, I didnt mean spotburn Segloch. It's a well known easily accesable stream that is often discussed on this site. As far as pressure on streams affecting wild populations....I think this must be true in some instances because I fished a stocked stream in York county for the first the first time in the summer, fall and winter and never saw another soul. I caught a lot of wild browns and only 3 or 4 stocked rainbows. Just last week I drove by and saw about 20 people fishing and I just scratched my head and said ohh well :roll:

Hop,
That is what I was saying...apparently not clearly. Segloch is so well-known that it can't be spot burned.

If the York Co stream is stocked by the PFBC, the pressure you saw had been going on for years yet, as I understand your post, you had good fishing for wild trout after the crowds disappeared.

Mike-Don't want to go down the spot burn road BUT--I'm pretty sure if you pressure these small streams day after day you will see the fishing go downhill. In the age of information you are going to reach a heck of a lot more potential fishermen of all kinds than in the old days. Just saying.

Hop- I'm up for a clean up-

There's a thread about cleanup in conservation.

I agree, there is a danger for sure with talking about these small streams, though I tend to think that most would not travel to our area just to fish this stream. Swattie had a good point to me. He said if anyone saw it in normal flows, they'd think it's #censor#.

dc410 wrote:
westpaflyfisher wrote:
i live in Northern Lancaster... can you help me get to that location in your photo? (please!)

Living in northern Lancaster County you shouldn't have a problem figuring out where Segloch Run is located. Go there, park and put some boots on the ground. :) You may just find something better along the way in your exploration.

HopBack,

Nice job. Some good looking fish ..... sounds like you had a great day.

I'm not sure I understand. Your a outdoorsman, fly fisherman and live in Northern Lancaster county and don't know all the rocks in the back ground of the pics in the post, let alone just where the run is in general. 501 to Fox Rd. keep going till you hit the lowest part of Fox. hat would be Segloch Run. If you hit Middle Creek Preserve you wen too far.

On a side note. I have been fishing the run since the late 70s. There was a time I could pull 12" or bigger out of there all the time depending on the time of year and water levels. Tuff run to fish as the flora starts to green up. Best to use the longest rod length you have and just flip your bugs into tight little spots you can reach into. Nice pics and good look'n pics.... Don't know where Segloch is and you live in norther Lancaster.... SMH. Here's another tip. From Hopeland. Head west then north. But then again maybe the guy just moved to Lancaster county last week....

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Mike-Don't want to go down the spot burn road BUT--I'm pretty sure if you pressure these small streams day after day you will see the fishing go downhill. In the age of information you are going to reach a heck of a lot more potential fishermen of all kinds than in the old days. Just saying.

Hop- I'm up for a clean up-
Most anglers will take a look at Seglock Run and say, too small, I don't want to get hung up on every cast.

FiveWeight wrote:
dc410 wrote:
westpaflyfisher wrote:
i live in Northern Lancaster... can you help me get to that location in your photo? (please!)

Living in northern Lancaster County you shouldn't have a problem figuring out where Segloch Run is located. Go there, park and put some boots on the ground. :) You may just find something better along the way in your exploration.

HopBack,

Nice job. Some good looking fish ..... sounds like you had a great day.

I'm not sure I understand. Your a outdoorsman, fly fisherman and live in Northern Lancaster county and don't know all the rocks in the back ground of the pics in the post, let alone just where the run is in general. 501 to Fox Rd. keep going till you hit the lowest part of Fox. hat would be Segloch Run. If you hit Middle Creek Preserve you wen too far.

On a side note. I have been fishing the run since the late 70s. There was a time I could pull 12" or bigger out of there all the time depending on the time of year and water levels. Tuff run to fish as the flora starts to green up. Best to use the longest rod length you have and just flip your bugs into tight little spots you can reach into. Nice pics and good look'n pics.... Don't know where Segloch is and you live in norther Lancaster.... SMH. Here's another tip. From Hopeland. Head west then north. But then again maybe the guy just moved to Lancaster county last week....

We all have to be shown at some point, I guess. I remember a time not terribly long ago where I didn't know where it was. Heck I remember a time just a few years ago where I didn't think of Lancaster at all in terms of wild trout. I had to be taught too!

Back