7' 3 pc. Steel Rod Marked "Mohawk"

WestDeerPirate

WestDeerPirate

My father gave me a rod that he tells me was his grandfathers. My Dad was born in 43', his Dad in 1906, my Great Grandfather....not sure. The rod is steel with a thin seam. Fitting are brass, real seat sits in front of a 6" long cork handle and is generally described as a bait / fly combo rod. 7 foot length, 3 pc and the only marking on it are "Mohawk" which seems to be stamped into the metal reel seat which is likely aluminum. Another interesting feature is the very tip of the rod has a 3 hole tip. Up, down and center it seems.

I do not believe that this is a Horrocks Ibbotson although they did market the "Mohawk" name. I cannot find anything about the rod online. Most of the information is talking about the HI Fiberglass rods that came much later.

If anyone can help identify who made and where I would appreciate it. My great grandfather lived in the Butler, NJ area.

The other rod I have of his is small Kingfisher made my Montague for EK Tryon in Philadelphia but I generally know what I want to about this one.

Anyone familiar with "Mohawk" steel rods?

Montague made a Mohawk series of rods for Sears Roebuck for many years. You. May be able to match it to some of the vintage Sears catalogs. Hope that helps.

Back