5' 6" 3w rod

I've long built and used very short fly rods (<6') but they're an acquired taste and I don't recommend them for beginners.

As others have mentioned, try a shorter leader - and I'd add a softer casting stroke to produce a more open loop. Tight casting loops aren't your friend with tiny rods.

What line are you using? A WF line on such a short rod may be a hinderence. Try a level, or double taper.

Thank you all for your sugestions , they are very much appreciated. I had read an articale about lite and ultra lite fly rod fishing and rod setup. I also saw something about puttinf 4w line on a 3w rod for better results. (I'mthe type of person that buys some things without thinking things through, this short rod was one of them) After purchaseing it and having a hard time casting, I realized that my7'6" rod can handle panfish as well as any trout or bass that I may catch. I realize now that it was not a good choice but I will occasionaly practice with ie and maybe get better or just put it away and chalk it up to experience. Bamboozle, I should have said 4x leader, not #4. I generaly use 2, 3 or 4x leaders and mainly use 7.5 foot tapered leader and mainly buy Rio leaders.
Thanks again fot the input.
Bill
Another issue might be the length of your leader. I usually match my leader length to the length of my rod. 7’ rod, 8’ leader, I won’t go to a 9’ 10’ foot leader until my rod is over 8’. Also when you overload your rod you usually sacrifice distance in exchange for a tighter casting loop, as in small stream brushy conditions where short accurate casts are needed.

What line are you using? A WF line on such a short rod may be a hinderence. Try a level, or double taper.
The term "weight forward" is a very unfortunate use of names created to describe a fly line.

A DT vs WF lines have identical tapers up front with a standard trout taper line until you cast out to the running line

So until you cast 50-60', taking into account the length of the head, rod and leader, the front end of both lines are the same.

At longer distances the WF line tapers to a thin running line while the DT continues at the same diameter.

When trying to make a longer cast the DT will over-weight the rod while the WF allows you to shoot the thin running aka shooting line.

Very true with a standard taper. However many WF lines have compound front tapers or are forward or even back weight biased with different casting attributes. One line company has DT lines with a different taper on each end.

I would just go with a DT with a shorter front taper that is usually found on mid or entry level price lines. These lines are usually slightly over weight also which would help on the short casts. The front taper can also be shortened to enhance leader turnover by trimming it back.

Last edited:
I live in the outscurts of Allentown. I appreciate the offer but I think that at this point, I will just put the rod away and chalk it up to experience. The older I get the more I am able to curb my impulse buying. I also consider myself a halfway fly fisherman. By that I mean that I only flyfish but I don't concern myself with the different hatches (my mind can't remember them. LOL) I tie my own flys and am not very god at it, I can't tie a fly smaller than a 12. I taught myself how to fly fish 47 years ago with vhs videos and books . after about 15 years of fly fishing I gave it up dew to my wifes healthgoiing downhill, I took care of her. After her passing, I decided to get back into fly fishing.
Sorry I rambled on. But now you know a little more about me than you did befor.
Bill
Dear billyboat,

As someone who knows Les Young, I would like to respectfully say that you may be missing an opportunity here. You may think you made a mistake buying the rod, and you may well have made a mistake. But Les Young is the last man on Earth who would tell you that.

If you get a chance to meet up with him somewhere convenient to the both of you bring the rod and take the chance. Les is a seriously good dude.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Very true with a standard taper. However many WF lines have compound front tapers or are forward or even back weight biased with different casting attributes. One line company has DT lines with a different taper on each end.

I would just go with a DT with a shorter front taper that is usually found on mid or entry level price lines. These lines are usually slightly over weight also which would help on the short casts. The front taper can also be shortened to enhance leader turnover by trimming it back.
Dear Falcon,

Great points that are often missed with the newer ultra-fast rods being in vogue. A Cortland 333 DT cut in half might serve the OP well. That would give him 45 feet of line to work with plus the leader before the backing ever sees the light of day.

With a 5'3" rod if a fish gets the backing off the reel it will take all of the grace of God and lots of luck to ever land that fish. ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I have a 6 ft 2wt rod. The rod is a lever ,third class. Think about the arc of a 9 ft rod vs the arc of the 6ft rod. the distance the tip of the rod travels is less in the shorter rod so it's harder to get the speed you need to cast the line. I just wait longer till the rod loads to make my foreword cast. If this makes any sense? It took a a bit of practice, but it's a hoot catching fish on it. Also in tight places it's easier to cast.
GG

Bill:

Many moons when fishing some dinky Pocono streams ago all I used for a leader was about 2 feet of 3X & about 3 feet 4X or 5x on the end of my fly line and sometimes just 4X. What Wildtrout2 is suggesting is an even better idea if you don't like tying Blood Knots.

The bottom line with short rods & short casts is IF you have a 7'6" foot leader and a long front taper fly line, it is conceivable that you would need to have a combination of at least 20+ feet of fly line & leader past the tip top guide just to be able to feel the rod load.

When the rod doesn't feel like it is loading that's when you can get into trouble and overpower the casts resulting in all sorts of problems. If you are fishing in tight quarters where a 20 foot cast is a long cast, it gets even worse.

THAT'S the reason why going with a heavier fly line is advocated by some when casting short because the heavier line suggested compensates for the fact that you are not into the belly of your lighter weight fly line.

However the reason for that is probably because you are fishing a longer leader than necessary when casting short distances and/or you fly line front taper is way too long for the job. Every foot you make your leader shorter and every foot shorter the front taper of your fly line is, the less line you will need in play to feel the rod load.

FWIW - My hands down favorite line is a SciAngler Mastery DT. On the 3wt version I use most often on my short rods the front taper is only 4.8" long. I also fish about a 5 foot long leader in tight quarters so it is conceivable it takes me almost half the amount of line & leader to feel the rod load. That & because my rods are fiberglass & bamboo, I never felt the need to over-line.

For leaders, I use 3' long furled leaders to which I add 2 - 3 feet of tippet. If you are buying regular tapered leaders that are knotted, you can probably lop off some of the heaviest two sections and shorten a 7'6" leader with almost no performance issues.

I do want to add that I exclusively use short rods for short casts on very small streams. I would NEVER use a 5'6" rod anywhere that I could comfortably fish something longer because longer rods do everything better except fit in tight places.

Good luck if you decide to give the short rod another go...
Thanks fo taking the time to type all that, I do appreciate it. I think maybe for now I will shorten the leader and see if that helps. At the moment, I can't afford to change fly lines. I may even try wgat you said and tie tippet directly to the line.
Bill

Back