5' 6" 3w rod

I've long built and used very short fly rods (<6') but they're an acquired taste and I don't recommend them for beginners.

As others have mentioned, try a shorter leader - and I'd add a softer casting stroke to produce a more open loop. Tight casting loops aren't your friend with tiny rods.

What line are you using? A WF line on such a short rod may be a hinderence. Try a level, or double taper.

Thank you all for your sugestions , they are very much appreciated. I had read an articale about lite and ultra lite fly rod fishing and rod setup. I also saw something about puttinf 4w line on a 3w rod for better results. (I'mthe type of person that buys some things without thinking things through, this short rod was one of them) After purchaseing it and having a hard time casting, I realized that my7'6" rod can handle panfish as well as any trout or bass that I may catch. I realize now that it was not a good choice but I will occasionaly practice with ie and maybe get better or just put it away and chalk it up to experience. Bamboozle, I should have said 4x leader, not #4. I generaly use 2, 3 or 4x leaders and mainly use 7.5 foot tapered leader and mainly buy Rio leaders.
Thanks again fot the input.
Bill
Another issue might be the length of your leader. I usually match my leader length to the length of my rod. 7’ rod, 8’ leader, I won’t go to a 9’ 10’ foot leader until my rod is over 8’. Also when you overload your rod you usually sacrifice distance in exchange for a tighter casting loop, as in small stream brushy conditions where short accurate casts are needed.

What line are you using? A WF line on such a short rod may be a hinderence. Try a level, or double taper.
The term "weight forward" is a very unfortunate use of names created to describe a fly line.

A DT vs WF lines have identical tapers up front with a standard trout taper line until you cast out to the running line

So until you cast 50-60', taking into account the length of the head, rod and leader, the front end of both lines are the same.

At longer distances the WF line tapers to a thin running line while the DT continues at the same diameter.

When trying to make a longer cast the DT will over-weight the rod while the WF allows you to shoot the thin running aka shooting line.

Very true with a standard taper. However many WF lines have compound front tapers or are forward or even back weight biased with different casting attributes. One line company has DT lines with a different taper on each end.

I would just go with a DT with a shorter front taper that is usually found on mid or entry level price lines. These lines are usually slightly over weight also which would help on the short casts. The front taper can also be shortened to enhance leader turnover by trimming it back.

Last edited:
Back