4 wt length question

jay1963

jay1963

I am looking for a 4 wt i see 8.5 ft and 9ft is there a reason that there are no 7.5 ft rods? I do see Orvis has a 7 ft 4wt. looking for something fro the streams of eastern pa .
Thank you
Jay

jay1963 wrote:
I am looking for a 4 wt i see 8.5 ft and 9ft is there a reason that there are no 7.5 ft rods?

When you say there are no 7.5 wt rods, I don't think you are looking very hard. I have two of them.

You mentioned Orvis, here is the Orvis 7.5 4wt superfine carbon.

There are plenty of shorter 4wts if you look at used rods. The lamiglass 7' Appalachian 4wt is an excellent rod, but hard to find.

I define “short” as anything 7’6 and under. Right now some manufacturers don’t make anything “short” in over a 3 weight based on the current market generally wanting short rods in the lighter line weights. Redington and Sage generally don’t for example, but plenty of others do make 4 or 5 weights 7’6 or under. Orvis, LLBean, Cabelas, BPS, St. Croix all do, and I’m sure there are others.

I agree though. I think a 4wt in 7’0-7’6 is the ideal small stream rod.

yo jay

think glass for that size. Then there's boo.

I use a 7 1/2 ft 4 wt graphite rod for fishing smallish mountain streams. And I think they are the best choice for that type of fishing.

There used to be many manufacturers who made these.

Are manufacturers really abandoning that? If so, I think that's a shame.

Definitely consider glass. Among the 4 weights available:

Cabelas CGR 7' $130 (it's rated as a 4/5 though)
Echo 7'4" $200
Redington 7'6" $250
Temple Fork 7'6" $200
Orvis Superfine glass 7'6" $395
Swift Epic 7'6" $567

As you can see you can pay a little or a lot. The Orvis is highly regarded. I have a custom built Epic and it is a great rod. It is a bit much for really small headwater streams. If you're a dyed in the wool graphite guy I'm sure there are plenty of those around too if you search.

Has both blanks and built rods ....

http://www.mtnbrookrods.com/fiberglassinfo.html

Sage does a 7'9 4wt. Mine is now discontinued, but I think they have one in the new lineup too.

Thanks guys, I was looking 4 a 4 section 4 weight for small streams.
Lots of good points going to head out to cabelas this weekend as well as the evening hatch thanks again
Jay

Sage TXL 7' 4 weight. It's my favorite small stream rod as it can handle just about any situation you may come across on a little stream, ie. fishing weighted or unweighted nymphs , streamers or drys. This flyrod can handle it all without compromise.

Back