4 weight rod question

I hear you on the flex. I was able to find relatively fast bamboo rods (relative to other bamboo, that is.) But they are slower than graphite. I still fish graphite in the longer, heavier rods. I use my 8' 6" 6 weight graphite for smallmouths all the time. But for trout I've been converted to bamboo. Price does suck, though.

Don't get me wrong. If I had disposable income, I'd own a bamboo rod or three. I do like slower actions from time to time, particularly when on a bluegill pond. I'd even occasionally use one for something like trico fishing.

Overall, though, I enjoy throwing tight loops at high speeds. It's what I enjoy about fly casting.

Cool. One thing about bamboo, though. The price IS higher, but I feel like I'll have them forever, while a graphite always feels brittle to me. I just sent back a St. Croix rod (my favorite graphite manufacturer) that snapped just above the grip. I was PISSSSSSSED.

That's one thing that I definitely agree on. Bamboo rods seem to me to be the type of rod that you can toss in the bed of a truck and go fishing. Not that it's really justifiable due to the cost these days, but the material seems to be able to handle it.

Graphite, not so much.

That's a common misconception with bamboo. In beat the hell out of mine, mostly because I'm clumsy. But they are tough as hell. It's when you're done fishing that you have to be careful. I always let them air out overnight after a day of fishing because they can rot. Other than that, they really are tough.

Bamboo is fun for terrestrial, midge, and trico fishing. I use mine a handful of times each year as a change of pace from my preferred fast action rods.

Uhm, coltonfly.com? (did I do that right, Fred?)

You want a truly workhorse rod, Jay, you want a glass rod. Hell, I figured we're just trotting out pet ideals now, eh? Seriously though, you can leave it to rot in the sun, put 'em away wet, smash 'em off limbs.. try that with your dead wood.

I couldn't do any of those things to any rod.

You should try it. There's an amazing amount of zen to be had when you're not worried about nicking the finish or setting the tip.

That's an interesting thought now that you mention it...

Wulff wrote:
That's an interesting thought now that you mention it...

so important, i evidently mentioned it twice.

om.
tat.
sat, *******.

For $517, this (free shipping). It'll blow the doors off the Hydros (and Helios).

It has a beautiful rosewood/nickel silver reel seat, too - not that cheap stuff Orvis is pushing. Something else to consider is that Sage has every blank for every rod they ever made, or they'll roll a blank to replace a broken rod. Good luck with Orvis on that one!

You Sage snob! lol. I totally agree! I have a lot of Sage rods and have never had a problem. I know a number of people who have had problems with Orvis. Don't get me wrong, I like some of Orvis's stuff but i'd take a Sage over them, any day.

jdaddy wrote:
StudentofTheStream wrote:
HA I'll see your 517 and raise you

string raise imo!

I only used that link because it was handy - I got mine for $469, free shipping from a fly shop in Oregon.

HOWEVER - if someone had bought from my link, and decided he didn't want that particular rod after a few months, he'd be able to exchange it, or get a cash refund. Can you think of anyone that should have done this? ;-)

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Can you think of anyone that should have done this? ;-)

You'll make him turn crabby and cry....

Heritage-Angler wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
StudentofTheStream wrote:
HA I'll see your 517 and raise you

string raise imo!

I only used that link because it was handy - I got mine for $469, free shipping from a fly shop in Oregon.

HOWEVER - if someone had bought from my link, and decided he didn't want that particular rod after a few months, he'd be able to exchange it, or get a cash refund. Can you think of anyone that should have done this? ;-)

This must be directed to someone else cause you all know damn well I would never pay more than 50% of retail for anything. LOL.

Getting my Winston order together as we speak . . .

jdaddy wrote:
Getting my Winston order together as we speak . . .

Annual tithing?

Yeah - I was referring to Sparky and his 9wt.

I ended up buying the Hydros 4 wt tip flex for $395 . Although I am very happy with the way the rod casts, I am having a some trouble with breaking off when setting the hook using light tippets and small flies.

This is probably due to the fact that I am used to a more modeate action rod and I am just setting the hook to hard. Anyone else that has this rod have similar issues ? How did you overcome them ?

Today I snapped off a real nice Rainbow on the LL using 7x and a size 20 WD40. I have been really careful tying good knots so I don't think that was the problem.

with a tip flex all you should have to do is lift the rod tip and perhaps strip a bit to set the hook. With 7x I would shorten the lift and the strip to keep the set off the butt.

Back