30" Browns

If any of you gentlemen are really interested in catching an over 30" inch Brown you need to be heading South to North Arkansas S. Missouri where the Ole Salmo Trutta is just getting his spawn on. There are more than a 30 to 40 a year caught a year, over 30+ inches on three diferent river system, that are reported, I personally hooked and released 3 in the thirty inch range in a 2 hour session after midnite in Nov 2006, before my line started freezing to my guides.

Took my 11 year old son to a private stream on Thursday and it started out slow, but his first fish was a 6 lb brown on an ant. Was only 22" but fat. We both caught some really nice fish. I had one that hit my caddis and took off upstream like a steelhead. Never saw him but fly came out after about a 50 yard run and when I looked at it, the hook was straight. We both used 3 wt rods. I also caught a brook that weighed just over 3 lbs. beautiful colors with a bright red belly and hook jaw. Looks like he was ready to spawn. Great day for father and son.

Saw this on Facebook:

33" buck brown fish of my lifetime, on that cross S1 and optispeedrunner combo!

Jordan Thompson -- loop army
Follow · October 13 ·

Attachments

• 33-Incher_R.jpg
    33-Incher_R.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 9
Guessing that gator mouth came from white river area. Might lose a few digits trying to get the streamer out of that mouth. Yow

That's an awesome brown. 33" is serious anywhere in the world.

On a side note, if your after the big browns get out there. Now is starting to be the time. Have been seeing them with regularity now for about a week and a half. (Fishing almost daily)

Turned down by many but have managed 1 large one and a couple around 20" or 21".

Need to sharpen up lol.

Brown71,

Your about to make me jump on the turnpike!

Lol I hear ya. You'll get yours I'm sure.

22 pounder from White River. I'm guessing that one will crack the 30" mark. Pretty chunky fish. Almost makes ya want to go there.

Attachments

• biggie.jpg
    biggie.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 11
K2,
Is that a brookie hanging out of its mouth?

I think it's the arm of a 4 yr old. That fish is a tank. That'll bend your 3 wt.

if you use a tape measure from harbor freight you will have a better chance.

My Buddy Barry uses this ruler…

Whooo Hoooo 600 posts!

Attachments

• Barrys_Fish_Ruler_R.jpg
    Barrys_Fish_Ruler_R.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 5
Wish I could post up a 30" trout of any species but my preferred technique of casting to rising trout with little dry flies just usually doesn't put me any where near a 30" behemoth. However both of these browns were taped. The one I'm holding was a dead-on 24" and the other is 24.25". Interestingly they were both caught on the same day and in within 100' of each other.

Attachments

• 24 Inch - Montana.jpg
    24 Inch - Montana.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 24.25 - Montana.jpg
    24.25 - Montana.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 11
I'm sure if we were allowing migratory Great Lakes fish many of us could be posting up 30"+ browns and rainbows. This is one old scanned print picture taken back in the mid 1980's on the SR. Yep, it's dead. Back then I was still enthralled with keeping big fish. That fad didn't last very long thankfully.

Attachments

• Large steelhead.jpg
    Large steelhead.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 7
Gents, if you tell the taxiderm - they will make you any size trout you want. Just say, "Thick and long" when you describe your catch.

I have located one that has to be pretty close to 30. Only way I see accessing him is at night. Water is too slow that ripples spook him. Can't get him from the bank because of angle of the land and vegetation.

float tube ?

Snorkel sub-surface.

Remember PA fish not from a lake…so no loch-style.

I can't access him during the day because when you approach the spot you come down a hill that spooks him right away. Not a lake fish.

Back