3 Tips from a Competitive Fly Fisher

Fredrick wrote:
You missed the point he doesn’t do anything to give back to the page just uses it as a means to get views/link clicks which equals money, sponsorships and free gear .

He provides content. That's not doing nothing.

Agree with fred. All he posts are his videos. Just uses the page for social media clout.

So for those that actually got past the fact that all tim posts are his videos, The content in this video while not the first time I've heard it, is good stuff.

Basically it is:
1. Fish the water in between the obvious "good" water.
2. Fish the poor weather days when you normally would have stayed home.
3. Competitive Fishing isn't just nymphing. Get good at fishing all techniques, streamers, dries, nymphs, wet files. All of the techniques are effective and are necessary.

Now you can have the information without watching the video.

Whatever you feeling about competitive fly fishing is, many of the top competitive anglers are very well rounded and could probably out fish many of us regardless of technique. Anyways I'm finishing up a book by Devin Olsen and its made me a better fisherman well beyond improving my nymping. Its helped my other techniques as well. Admittedly there was lots of room for improvement all the way around.

I have zero desire to compete but I like catching fish and forgetting about everything else. That's kind of the point for me.

Lots of information in this thread, and I'll focus on the important stuff...related to fly fishing! ;-)

As mentioned in the video, I'm not in the competitive fly fishing world, but can definitely appreciate the incredible information they've passed onto all of us. From techniques to use on the water (is it bad I have five types of wax to float leaders?!?) all the way to our tying benches (jig hooks & slotted beads...never can have too many!), that niche of the sport we love has made many of us better fishers...and I have never even been to a competition!

What makes fly fishing such a draw for so many is that there are a variety of paths to choose...and to each their own. Be it delicate dry flies, chucking articulated streamers, Euro nymphing, or a combo (which Rich mentioned as a tip in the video!), that choice is personal and makes fly fishing unique when comparing it to other sports.

In the original post, I posed a question and am still encouraging others to share their thoughts. My tip has helped me not only catch more fish, but appreciate all of the nuances that water brings:

More importantly, is there a tip that you can share with others? Related to moving water, mine is to be intentional about the water types you're selecting and to try others. For instance, if you typically choose pools, pick apart a riffle and compare against your prior experience. Fish are constantly changing their feeding lies and we have to take advantage of that as fly fishers.

Now your turn...

Tim

Back