2018 PAFF Jam - 18-20 May

wbranch wrote:
Are there any motels within 5 miles of your Jam venue?

Just FYI, Matt.

I'm not sure what is available at this point, but Seven Mountains has several types of cabins and trailers for rent as well as campsites.

7 Mtns

Even though we are still 2 months out before we all get together, it will be here before we know it. So in preparing to come up and fish with all of you, I am trying to sort out my fly boxes. So what bugs will be out and what should I have with me. Been a long time since I fished so I need to start working on this.

Grizzz wrote:
Even though we are still 2 months out before we all get together, it will be here before we know it. So in preparing to come up and fish with all of you, I am trying to sort out my fly boxes. So what bugs will be out and what should I have with me. Been a long time since I fished so I need to start working on this.

You can expect a lot of bugs and water conditions at the Jam. Sulphers are likely to be the most prevalent.

I'd suggest that, if you're re-stocking your fly boxes - that you make sure to have at least several copies of the following basics:

~ Parachute sulpher (16s mostly, some 14)
~ Rusty spinner (same size)
~ Some generic emerger style - maybe a Klinkhammer, whatever you like - in size 14.

A lot of years it seems there's a good bit of March Browns around too, especially on Penns. Sometimes there's actually more MB's around, but they're still eating the Sulphurs. Sulphurs must taste good, or they're easier to catch (more likely). :p Still, probably good to have some MB's too in case the Sulphurs don't show for a night. Dun pattern of choice in size 10 and 12, along with some rusty spinners in those sizes should cover it.

Suplhurs and MB's will be the dominant two that you'll usually see. They'll be some other smaller hatches winding down, and sometimes you see an early Green Drake too, but not enough of anything else generally to warrant fishing anything other than a Sulphur or a MB for the evening rise.

General, high floating attractors are fine if you plan to do any Brookie fishing.

Has anyone been by 7 Mountains Camp Ground recently? I remember that the streets were having some work done on them and the turnoffs were very confusing.

I'm already set up with a cabin. I can make a real good Cappuccino if anyone is interested.

I was afraid of that! So is it a loop d luu when coming from south still?

I COULD BE REMEMBERING IT WRONG AND IT COULD CHANGE IN THE NEXT 3 MONTHS BUT I THINK YOU COULD STILL EXIT THE CAMPGROUND FROM THE STATE COLLEGE SIDE BUT YOU HAVE TO GO THE EXIT BEFORE THE CAMPGOUND TO GET BACK ON THE HIGHWAY. FIRST TIME WAS LATE AT NIGHT AND THE SECOND TIME IT WAS JUST THE BEGINNING OF OUR DRIVE SO...

Finding your way to the campground may pale in significance to find your way back to your cabin or tent. Just sayin'.

JackM wrote:
Finding your way to the campground may pale in significance to find your way back to your cabin or tent. Just sayin'.

Or van.

Coming west on 322 you have to turn right get on the side road and go down to bridge cross over and come back up the side road to the campground. There is no left turn on top of the mountain anymore.

JackM wrote:

Swattie wrote:

Or van.

It easier to find someone else's van :lol: ;-)

The nearest van will do.

wbranch-

There is a hotel in Milroy and exit or two down from 7 Mountains campground.

It’s a Quality Inn or Best Western. I have stayed there before $75-$100 a night I believe. It was fine.

How far is it to Bald Eagle SP (the lake). I stayed at the lodge a few years back, and it was nice. Very nice view of the lake.

I'm negotiating with management to get some time off. Do the reservations sell out quickly? I'll give my wife a hard time to speed the process up.

ryansheehan wrote:
I'm negotiating with management to get some time off. Do the reservations sell out quickly? I'll give my wife a hard time to speed the process up.

For a cabin?

tomgamber wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:

For a cabin?

Yes, I'm assuming you could always get a campsite?

ryansheehan wrote:
tomgamber wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:

For a cabin?

Yes, I'm assuming you could always get a campsite?

Yes, you should be able to get a tent site, although I'd make a reservation for this too.
I'm not sure about the status of the cabins. Many, if not all, are multi-occupancy and PAFFERS usually go in as a group for a cabin. I don't know if they're all filled.

Hope you can make it!

FarmerDave wrote:
How far is it to Bald Eagle SP (the lake). I stayed at the lodge a few years back, and it was nice. Very nice view of the lake.

I'd guess this distance would be around an hour, maybe less. The campsite is on the other side of State College. Perhaps some local folks who know the area better can give you a better idea of the time.

Back