12" Freestone Wild Brookie Thread

wildtrout2 wrote:
Chaz wrote:
wildtrout2 wrote:
With all due respect, I don't think that's a 13" trout. ^
If it isn't it's very close. It's as long as his hand plus 4 to 5 inches.
You tell me Chaz.

You're assuming our hands/arms are the same lengths and not factoring in perspective, curvature of the fish, etc. We had a tape and and measured this fish out, so take it or leave it.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
If that is the same trout I've seen pics of it is about 13. However that stream is certainly part limestone and disqualifies for this thread. Unless I'm mistaken.

On a note I've also caught 12-13" brookies from that stream.

Yes it is...although I would argue that this stream in that stretch isn't really a "limestone" stream, given that the one or two limestone springs are several miles upstream. All of the tributaries that enter above the point I caught this are in sandstone or shale/mudstone, as is the area where this one was caught.

Regardless, my biggest PA brookie to date, and fat, too.

Despite flowing over sandstone for a stretch, that's limestone water. It's a limestoner. Period.

Whoops the one pic I posted is from that stream haha! My bad!

image_zpsnoicpee8.jpg

Do only the male brookalope have antlers?

How about this one, freestone with NO limestone influence. ;)

Attachments

• DSC03822-PAFF.jpeg
    DSC03822-PAFF.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 2
image_zpsnoicpee8.jpg

I can't believe you killed that beautiful creature. Where is your C&R ethic? Someone else could have surely enjoyed catching that trophy. I think it was Lee Wulff that said a Brookalope is too beautiful to one catch once.

The thing I learned in this thread which I find unusual- how many guys still wear watches.

Have 3-4 watches probably have not worn them in 15 years.

acristickid wrote:
The thing I learned in this thread which I find unusual- how many guys still wear watches.

Some lead a carefree life and do as they please without worrying about what time it is.

Others have responsibilities to take care of and need to be a certain place at a certain time and must wear wear a watch to keep them on track.

True story.

Watches are for suckers?

salvelinusfontinalis wrote: Resized Image I can't believe you killed that beautiful creature. Where is your C&R ethic? Someone else could have surely enjoyed catching that trophy. I think it was Lee Wulff that said a Brookalope is too beautiful to one catch once.

I know I know. I should have shown mercy to the horned gemmie because of being displaced in their native ranges of the Susquehanna and valley creeks by big brown toots.

afishinado wrote:
acristickid wrote:

Some lead a carefree life and do as they please without worrying about what time it is.

Others have responsibilities to take care of and need to be a certain place at a certain time and must wear wear a watch to keep them on track.

True story.

I have a wife who prefers I get home when I said I would...so sometimes I wear the watch--and I only have one. ;)

Lol Jeff. Funny enough I had a wife who preferred I don't go at all or come back ridiculously early. Now I have a fiancé who either goes or tells me to take all the time I need.

Lol Jeff. Funny enough I had a wife who preferred I don't go at all or come back ridiculously early. Now I have a fiancé who either goes or tells me to take all the time I need.

And I'm taking book on how quickly this changes once you marry her.

The over under is 6 months.

Ha! I'd take that bet and raise you.

She is a very woodsy and worldly person. She has said multiple times that one of many things she loves about me is that I fly fish. Been together 3 years and never a gripe about anything.

In my marriage (now defunct) I noted a greater shift (decrease) in flexibility and understanding across all fronts immediately following the time of engagement than I did at the time of the actual marriage - which occurred about a year later.

Clearly there was a lesson to be learned here...Once the ring is on their hand instead of in your pocket things get different. If/when another romantic relationship in my life progresses to a relatively serious level, I think I will buy a ring, let her know I bought it, but never give it to her.

Agree with Sal though. If she hasn't started yet, she's probably legit.

For the record, I was only joking and I am sure sal knew that.

I married a gem. I can go fishing pretty much any time I want. The only catch is, I have to act all stressed out for a week or so until it becomes her idea that I go fishing. ;-)

Back