Zebra Mussel Hatchery Dump Off Jim Thorpe

Doubt that stays up for long. Looks like there’s a hatchery about a mile from there…
Oh yea I am sure PFBC will take that down, which isn’t it illegal to selectively remove non violent/crude content from govt websites?

Maybe Team USA fly fishing comp anglers just got tired of waiting for stocking reform on brook trout streams J/K

Ditto on what Silverfox said. There's a co-op nursery on Mauch Chunk Ck. Makes more sense that they came from there.

Ditto on what Silverfox said. There's a co-op nursery on Mauch Chunk Ck. Makes more sense that they came from there.
Falling springs coop had some snails recently wonder if this coop did too? I assume that the only reason to spare some cold water ecosystem that many stocked trout would be some sort of pathogen or invasive species concern?

If its a coop would PFBC have had to have advised them how to handle those fish ?

If they did not direct the coop to do this i would think they would need to investigate it to see why the fish were disposed of improperly?

So many questions, maybe PFBC will at least making statement telling public it was or wasn’t them directly

Falling springs coop had some snails recently wonder if this coop did too? I assume that the only reason to spare some cold water ecosystem that many stocked trout would be some sort of pathogen or invasive species concern?

If its a coop would PFBC have had to have advised them how to handle those fish ?

If they did not direct the coop to do this i would think they would need to investigate it to see why the fish were disposed of improperly?

So many questions, maybe PFBC will at least making statement telling public it was or wasn’t them directly

Lol air drop like the lakes out west
(for pre-gen-z)
Missed it by this much

There's a right way and a wrong way to dispose of carcasses, especially if it is done by a governmental agency or someone who is working with an agency.

I once created a stir by contacting everyone IN WRITING from PennDOT & the PGC all the way up to the Governor about a bunch of deer carcasses that were left rotting in the Victoria Trail Parking Area ALONG WITH the nitrile gloves used to move them from Clarks Valley Road.

Bottom line, the contacted parties responded and in this case it was on PennDOT. They deer were supposed to be buried and limed. I went back about a week later and the mess & stench was gone... ;)

The person who actually saw this should do the same thing...

There used to be a private hatchery near Beltzville called Kriss Pines. Are they still making trout? If so, they would be close to the dump site.

This is such a waste. The Carbon County Environmental Education Center has been looking for people to donate their trout they have caught, to help feed their birds of prey in rehabilitation. Would have been perfect. Those birds are not flying around transporting any invasives.

This is such a waste. The Carbon County Environmental Education Center has been working on a q qqqljplooking for people to donate their trout they have caught, to help feed their birds of prey in rehabilitation. Would have been perfect. Those birds are not flying around transporting any invasives.
Agreed so many uses for those trout, there are homeless Vets near me that are food insecure. The invasive snakeheads, blues, and flatheads removed at the coniwingo fish ladder go to food banks I believe.

Maybe the coop had an oxygen problem and lost their fish. Maybe aerators went down or tripped.

Snails have nothing to do with this fish kill. That's not what 's going on out there. The club was responsible for disposing of those fish.

Maybe the coop had an oxygen problem and lost their fish. Maybe aerators went down or tripped.

Snails have nothing to do with this fish kill. That's not what 's going on out there. The club was responsible for disposing of those fish.
So would they have had to notify PFBC or are they not a cooperative hatchery? I would think if it was an aerator went down they would have just emergency stocked em if they knew when it broke and they were disease/AIS free?

Fish kills never go unnoticed. Coop fish are AIS free. They are inspected regularly throughout the year/season and more than once before they go into the streams and lakes.

It's hard to stock dead fish. Especially in the middle of the night, right?
It doesn't take much to lower Dissolved Oxygen in the hatcheries and things go south real fast when DOs drop. Screens can plug, intakes can plug up with leaves, storms can knock out electric and even if aeration on backup it's not 100% guarantee.

Volunteer at a coop and see how things work. It's not easy getting fish in the streams to catch. You should visit clubs in your area to see the fish they raise for you and the kids to catch.

Back