Zebra Mussel Hatchery Dump Off Jim Thorpe

mute

mute

Just seen a Facebook friends post that they went on a hike to Mount Pisgah in Jim Thorpe, this is what they found at the top... he said their was a tree stand near... so my guess is baiting but this is a bit much... edit: these fish are from Benner spring, they had a zebra mussle problem this season...

At least they didn’t stock em in waterways THIS time lol. Would think there would be a better way to get rid of them though. If ya depopulate a hatchery could give meat to a homeless shelter and trash the rest. Wonder if we can confirm it was PFBC?

Bear buffet?

If they put em there and there are mudsnails in the trout and a bear, fox, coyote, bob cat, eagle, heron what ever eats them they could just crap out live mudsnails into a waterway too. I doubt that was pfbc because that would be a really dumb way to depopulate a hatchery.

But then again who has that many trout besides some form of hatchery. So it would have to be A hatchery . Doubt someone would pay for all those and dump. Fascinating. Please provide any info on how they got there that comes out.

Thats not a whole hatchery worth or even an entire raceway even? Are there more sites is the question

I don’t have social media can someone post this on PA fish and boat’s facebook and ask them if those belong to them?

Last edited:
Connected to stocking delays that PFBC offered no good response for????

If it was a hatchery depopulation due to mudsnails why would fish be trucked from bellefonte to Jim Thorpe to be dumped in the woods?

If it was a hatchery depopulation due to mudsnails why would fish be trucked from bellefonte to Jim Thorpe to be dumped in the woods?
Thats all of our questions, doesn’t make sense. But at the same time who else has that many rainbows? Did a private hatchery dump all that cash money on the ground? Doubt it. Did someone pay thousands for those fish and dump em there for bait when they could just net a bunch of bait fish or catch a bunch of bluegill? Doubt it.

Yeah, something doesn't add up. That's several thousand dollars worth of fish to a private citizen? If they're state fish, why dump them on public land rather than incinerate them or donate them to a homeless shelter? Maybe a private hatchery had to depopulate and dumped them there? So bizarre.

I don’t have social media can someone post this on PA fish and boat’s facebook and ask them if those belong to them?
Someone liked this idea 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230413-192739.png
    Screenshot_20230413-192739.png
    421.7 KB · Views: 65
I don't know what is going on here, If it was the PFBC or another entity, but I'm not sure dumping these contaminated fish on top of a mountain is a good idea.
I don't know much about zebra mussels but I'd imagine if birds start getting at these fish they might spread them to waters.

I'm assuming the OP title and post is correct.

Very strange.

Mud snails, zebra mussels, what is next?
Seems to me, God is not happy.

Someone liked this idea 😂
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, if it truly was PFBC in the end I guess I gotta eat crow and give em some credit for depopulating carriers of invasive species but we can work with them on how to fillet those things, donate to homeless shelter, and out the rest in a fire pit so snails don’t make it into streams via racoon doo doo

1800 fish kill? Lol JK but i guess regardless PFBC might have to investigate that if it wasn’t them because the alternative would be a massive illegal poaching operation assuming people didn’t spend their entire children’s college savings fund at private hatcheries to dump em on top of a mountain??

1800 fish kill? Lol JK but i guess regardless PFBC might have to investigate that if it wasn’t them because the alternative would be a massive illegal poaching operation assuming people didn’t spend their entire children’s college savings fund at private hatcheries to dump em on top of a mountain??
Beyond the cost of the fish, how the heck much would it cost to dump them up there?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, if it truly was PFBC in the end I guess I gotta eat crow and give em some credit for depopulating carriers of invasive species but we can work with them on how to fillet those things, donate to homeless shelter, and out the rest in a fire pit so snails don’t make it into streams via racoon doo doo
Not too much though, depopulating carriers of invasives that are also invasive so you can stock invasives that aren't carrying invasives isn't great either.

But yeah.

Thats a good question, I am not sure. Technically thats state forest isn’t it? So would DCNR technically have to give permission for the owner of those invasive species to be “released there”.(joking) but not joking about if there was known mudnsails in there and they were left on state land where could persist for weeks in rotting trout intestines and take the forest creature Hershey highway into streams.

I mean I'm not sure the layout up there but what, you fly them in? 😂

Back