Your first fly pattern

My first ty was a winter stone fly dry..I would also suggest tying up patterns that you like to fish..Take one hatch at at time and come up with your own solution, or pattern for it..Next time to catch a stone fly, or one lands on your shirt, take a picture of it. Match the hatch..Come up with your own patterns.

muskrat nymph, taught the basics of bobbin use, dubbin thread and tying the fly off. Very basic

Wooly bugger was my first tie. I like MKern's advice, stick to 1-2 material flies, then progress to something else so that you can get thread control down. SJ Worm, Green Weenies, Griffith's Gnats, Zebra Midges would be good suggestions to start with.

I am not an expert tyer, but I have maybe 10 years of time on the bench. One thing I still do to this day that I learned early on is to tie up 8-12 of the same pattern. The first 1-2 maybe even 3 are part of a learning curve. The rest seem to be more consistent and accurate.

Enjoy your gifts from Santa, I got a fly tying kit from my father 10 years ago that I still think is one of the very best gifts I've ever recieved. It really got me hooked on tying.

I like hearing you guys say wooly bugger for your first, When I started there was no such fly...was a hare's ear for my first.

Brassie. Although I don't really carry them... I probably should though haha. :X

Wooly worm; black chenille, grizzly hackle and red tag tail. Also the first fly I tied that i caught a trout with. Actually, I was the one who got hooked:) about 25 yr ago. Micky Finn was second.

first fly i ever tied was in 1988, a wooly worm, peacock body some red yarn as a tag or short tail palmerd with grizzly hackle, i still have it, never fished it though

The first fly I ever tied was a pink glo bug for steelhead, it was an easy start. I was so excited the first time I caught a steelhead on one of my glo bugs. It was a victorious feeling, it makes me smile thinking about it. :)

My first was a dark cahill wet. It still remains one of my late evening sulphur imitations that I rely on. Simple, elegant, and buggy as heck.

Well I decided to keep it simple while I oracticed the basic steps of maintain thread control securing amterial and finishing the fly off. Did a few san juan worms, egg patterns and green weenies. Pretty please so far and is has been a lot of fun. I am having trouble getting my eggs small enough and rounding on the bottom. Is there a way to adjust the pressure on bobbin? The old one I have seems a little light and the new one seems a little tight for 6/O thread.

tracker12 wrote:
Is there a way to adjust the pressure on bobbin? The old one I have seems a little light and the new one seems a little tight for 6/O thread.

Yes. See my post (#17) here.

Hares Ear wet fly was the first fly I ever tiedand also first one I ever caught a trout on......

Size #8 Montreal wet fly, May of 1964.

I had a Herter's kit which included claret floss, gold tinsel and a turkey quill. I also had a Herter's tying guide where old man Herter wrote that the Montreal was the fly of choice of the disciples for fishing in the Sea of Galilee.

He was always saying stuff like that. I think old man Herter was drunk a good deal of the time...

Anyway, I tied this Montreal and a #10 McGinty wooly worm that first time I sat down at the vise. Then I rode my bike down to Lake LeBoeuf and fished in my hippers behind the old Lakeside tavern.
I caught a bluegill on the Montreal right away, then nothing for about 15 minutes. So, I switched to the Mcginty wooly worm and caught gillies as fast as I could put it out there.

The Montreal isn't a very good fly...

Zebra midge in 2006. Tied it on a Friday night after getting my first vise. Caught a wild brown on it the next morning on the Codorus at Porters Sidling. What a great feeling.

tracker12 wrote:
Was wondering what was the first fly that you ever tied. I will be starting to fly tie after Santa delivers all the goodies that he has promised to bring. I have been watching a bunch of youtube videos and trying to decide what fly to tackle first.

you were asked this and it makes great sense:what flies do you use the most??

the first fly i ever tied was a royal coachman,i think ,but it might have been a leadwing coachman.

i think for the easy to effective ratio it is hard to beat thread body soft hackles or peacock with hen hackle of grizzly,brown,black or game bird.

next easiest to effective fly i can think of is a wooly worm.

Back