Your 2024 Fly Fishing Ambitions

Mine were:
catch a fish from the falling spring fly only
catch a native brookie over 10 inches

Happy to say I’ve completed the first goal many times already with some nice fish mixed in as well
IMG_8228.jpeg

IMG_7921.jpeg

Second goal has yet to be completed, caught my fair share of 7-8.5 inchers but just can’t seem to get that one big one

I am also very jealous Brookie Chaser. Though you may need to change your screen name if you keep pulling in those tarpon.

I should change it, to what I don't know. I haven't caught a brook trout, or gone small stream fishing, in at least five years.

It's a team effort chasing migrating tarpon. My buddy on the back of the boat deserves just as much credit. I'm just the guy that got to feed those fish and pull on them.

Need to get a musky on fly for the first time, last fall I put a little time into doing so and came close with hooking and losing one.....this one is more of a pipe dream but a freshwater striper on fly out of raystown lake. That would be a dream come true to hook a monster striper on fly. It is possible with a lot of time and effort. I'm an hour and 15 min from raystown, so I don't know know the lake very well. I would assume spring or fall is best chance cuz they start going shallow, hardest part of the equation is finding the areas they frequent, it's a big lake and I'm on kayak with a fly rod, 😂 so any info that anyone is willing to provide would be greatly appreciated

Well my casting is improving so that is half of one down. Still can't seem to get the double hauldown. More work is required.

I thought of a drill that might help with the double haul. You could do this in your living room.
Get a yellow theraband resistance band. Take the lower section of your fly rod with the reel on it. Grip the cork and one end of the band with your rod hand, grab the band with your line hand. Then imitate your casting stroke pulling down on the band and bring your line hand back to the reel at the beginning and end of each casting stroke. The shorter the casting stroke the shorter the haul, the longer the casting stroke the longer the haul. This should help with muscle memory.

Back