YETI COOLERS?

Yeah I figured there were alternatives for less. Cool! The Yetis are really heavy too which I don't like. And I am of course against anything that is trendy but you knew that already. By the way I wore truckers hats and was a grunge guy before that stuff was cool so I guess I am more of a trendsetter than a follower. Of course now I look like crap in whatever I wear.

I hear good things about Rtic (it took me forever to realize it's pronounced "arctic"). But when I bought my cooler I needed it the next weekend, and Rtic had a long wait time.

The Cabela's version is a nice cooler as well, and ranked higher than the Yeti in "Field and Stream's" cooler test.

I bought a YETI Tundra 65 for our road trips to Colorado Springs, Colorado to see our son at the United States Air Force Academy. We drive out as well as fly. When we drive I put the food, drinks and ice in and it's good for at least a week or more! Worth every penny IMO.

Yes, Yeti products are nice, they work well and are expensive. IMHO, too expensive and I really don't see myself ever having a need for one.

If you're argument is "it keeps my beer ice cold for 5 days"...... I'd tell you that you're drinking your beer waaay to slowly.

Sam's had Igloo Sportsman coolers on sale for $99 today. Not sure of the size, maybe a 48? GG

I have one. It's great for the drift boat. It's probably not worth the money though. The ice lasts much longer than the beer. The cooler is also nicer to stand on to cast from the back of the boat.

Getting off topic, but I hate the nys laws that don't allow you to buy beer before 8am. I get on the water early, way before 8 and it sucks not being able to grab beer from the gas station. One gas station that I will not name will sell beer early for a 10-20 dollar "tip".

Like most premium products, they are good. And they are worth every penny for some. Overkill for others.

Know your needs. Buy what you need.

Personally, I don't need one. A 2 or 3 day cooler is fine. Brings meat back from beach or camp. Occasional bbqs or parties or other pot luck style get togethers. And when camping, I car camp usually in campgrounds, and buying a bag of ice is easy. Being light to move around and lift into the car is more important than being better insulated.

But I don't pretend that everyone else has the same needs as me.

It's like any expensive, highly branded, top shelf stuff; some people have genuine needs for it and others buy it because it is trendy.

Sportsmen spend a lot of money and the manufacturers know that and are looking to cash in.

A good (non fishing) example of this is scent control products marketed to deer hunters. Open up any deer hunting related media and it won't be long until some one is telling you that you need and extensive scent control regimen to even have a chance at seeing a deer.

Anyway, the Rubbermaid cooler I got at a yard sail for $2 does a pretty fine job....

I have a 35 qt yeti. I bought it to take on fishing/camping trips. Fishing the upper delaware 4-5 days at a time i dont have to change the ice once. I love mine and find it every bit of useful. FWIW, Yeti made 450 million dollars last year off their brand. Who would think a stupid cooler would start such a trend. They are huge for salt guides, frat college boys, and some ffer guides.

I saw someone do a side by side comparison on the Yeti coolers versus these RTic coolers and the Rtic was just as good and way cheaper.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/

steveo27, they sell trucker hats hahaha.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/gear

Well ****, looks like I just need a drift boat now!

Even their hats are reasonably priced. Yeti hats have to be like 50 bucks a pop.

I was surprised at the $6 dollar price tag on the hat. The coolers look damn near identical to a Yeti to the point I'm surprised they haven't been sued. I still would have a hard time shelling out a couple hundred bones for a cooler but I don't use one but a couple/few times a year.

Yeti sued a bunch of companies this past year (rtic included)

for what? making $400 six pack coolers that take up the space of a case??

FWIW, I see the need for a good cooler, if your out west, days from anywhere, and plan to be there for a while. the need to keep ice for a week or so is very important then.
I see no need at all in the state of PA. Ice machines at the very most 10 miles away from one another!!

I could see the need. I don't HAVE the need, or at least not enough to justify. But can see the need.

I've spent a week in Poe paddy before. At least a half hour, each way, for ice. That's a good portion of a day gone, plus a hassle. If I did that often I'd consider it.

Plus, even for shorter trips, better insulation means less ice needed for just a couple of days, and thus more room for food and beer.

The more room thing is nice. I can throw an ice pack or 2 or a 7lb bag of ice in mine and itll keep a 30 rack of beer cold all day.

Compared to the price of a fly rod, they seem like a bargain to me. For the price of a Loomis Asquith, I could buy two Yeti Tundra 50 coolers and have enough money left over to fill them both with cans of Heady Topper.

If I were going to rant about the price of something it would be fly rods....

Ironically, did you know that trucker's think those hats are trendy too, except they call them "fishing hats" ;-)

I use my $7 Ozark Trails tumbler. Several times I've had people compliment me on my Yeti. Then I break the bad news that it's a knock off walmart brand. ***Blank stares*** If they still seem interested I tell them I bought it because I watched a side by side comparison on youtube. Both perform basically the same.

Back