Yeah or nay on UV epoxies

Loons U.V. products are all the same. The u.v. knot sense is the same as the U.V. fly finish. No difference other than the bottle and quantity.

Heres a run down on prices by the ML.
Loon- $0.39 a ml

Point having been made, no need to further defend it. I have had experiences with products very different than other users. We are all free to share our experiences and can disagree with one another rationally. It comes down to who do you trust when opinions differ and that is a choice for each reader to decide for him or herself, based upon their knowledge of the person rendering an opinion.

This is why when I opine, people who know me ignore me, and those that do not know me scratch their heads. But, I dare say I have opened a few minds here and there by proposing contrary or unpopular viewpoints.

Ramcatt wrote:
troutpoop wrote:
Some of these products are marketed towards knots. Am I correct assuming these products have been adapted by creative tyers for flies. Then there are products marketed towards tying exclusively?

It seems from reviewing all the products that CCG has a wider selection of products, more correctly viscosities to assist with different applications. The CCG has a very nice and complete website showing how to apply and dry the products.

rio and loon had the "UV knot"/ "UV wader repair" products and then jumped to the emerging UV tying applications/tiers started using the products for flies

then there are products that are designed for tying applications... with a range of products for specific applications....
if its a matter of price... there are the cheaper options
but the CCG is far superior when used correctly

like i said... been using the CCG for a good bit of time... and I don't think there is a better product or a company with better customer service ... i just felt the need to point out that the "tier" who was testing was using the product wrong/ using the wrong product for the application and was generally spreading bad info

Ramcatt you failed to read my review and merely looked at the picture at the header. If you would actually read it, you would know that i used the thin,thick, and the flex ccg. Perhaps you should take the time to read it, before you accuse me of being wrong.

Also your argument is of opinion. It like you saying you have tried every rod and have been using sage for a long time and sage is superior.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
Loons U.V. products are all the same. The u.v. knot sense is the same as the U.V. fly finish. No difference other than the bottle and quantity.

Can you please cite this information?

wsender wrote:
JohnnyUtah wrote:

Loon has since changed there site. It used to state that fly tiers requested that loon make a bigger bottle of Knot sense for fly tiers, so loon made a 2oz bottle for fly tiers. I will email loon to confirm it for you, but i am positive they are the same.

wsender wrote:
JohnnyUtah wrote:

Here.

I've tried most of these products as well. If you use it on flies that require a thick coating, CCG is worth it, as they have a better selection of use specific products. Just easier to work with.

Durability isn't an issue for me - the rest of the materials in a fly usually give out first, for what I use it on.

Thirty nine cents/ml? I'm all over that. :-D

Heritage-Angler wrote:
wsender wrote:
JohnnyUtah wrote:

Here.

I've tried most of these products as well. If you use it on flies that require a thick coating, CCG is worth it, as they have a better selection of use specific products. Just easier to work with.

Durability isn't an issue for me - the rest of the materials in a fly usually give out first, for what I use it on.

Thirty nine cents/ml? I'm all over that. :-D

Thanks Ed. I knew it said it on the loon site as well. Loons bottle is 2oz no one comes close to that amount in there bottles.

Johnny, please take this for the helpful suggestion that it is intended to be:

You are a writer of a blog and here. Correct English would enhance your stature greatly in the eyes of all readers who are adept at the English language.

There - a place. Where? There. An indefinite pronoun of sorts: There is a time and place for everything.

Their - possessive plural. Belonging to them or related to them: whose? Theirs.

They're - simply "they are." Who is? They are.

warning_english_teacher_sticker-p217054105486798538qjcl_400-13un5ls.jpg

This stuff here is a great bang for the buck I have not used it my self but several of my friends are happy with it .
http://surfsource.net/store/category/sun_cure_repair_products/

Interesting link, Fredrick. $20/quart would be very cool.

Do you know which product your friends are using?

Does that product cure as fast as, say, Loon's UV stuff?

What is the shelf life? I've got some fairly old Loon's UV Knot Sense, and it still works fine.

Are these friends on the right side of prison bars....uh, nevermind on that one. :cool:

troutpoop wrote:
Any thoughts or suggestions on a brand of epoxy and/or UV light and pros & cons to trying this new addition to the tying table?

What's wrong with good old Devcon 5 minute epoxy?
25 ml for about $4.50 - you do the math.
Here's the drill -
-tie a dozen of your favorites and line them up on some packing foam.
-mix up a small batch of devcon on a post-it note and get a tooth pick.
-apply to the flies with the tooth pick. It takes about 2 seconds for each fly.
-let them dry
- start tying the next dozen flies

Having tied hundreds of dozens with epoxy and also with three of the UV products that JU reviewed, I have the ability to determine that the epoxy is easier to use and way more economical. It is a bit messier, and you should really wait about 6 hours to use the flies.
UV is harder to use, takes longer to apply but never yellows and can be fished right away.
I don't like the "slimy" feel inherent in a non alcohol wiped or non Sally Hansen coated UV fly

Gutcutter, If you like epoxy over u.v. resins, Give aleene's fabric fusion a try. Its water based, so clean up is a breeze. It dries hard as rock, but not brittle and it doesnt yellow. No mixing, just have to wait for it to dry. I use it quite often.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
If you like epoxy over u.v. resins, Give aleene's fabric fusion a try.

I use both epoxy and UV products, but I am trending back to epoxy more and more these days unless I have only a few flies to finish.
Does the fabric fusion give that "ball effect" on a wing case. Is it "runny" enough to be spun on a drying wheel like five minute epoxy can? What is the dry time?
Most importantly, does it have that "tacky" or "slimy" feel to it that the UV treated flies do?

gutcutter wrote:
Does the fabric fusion give that "ball effect" on a wing case. Is it "runny" enough to be spun on a drying wheel like five minute epoxy can? What is the dry time?
Most importantly, does it have that "tacky" or "slimy" feel to it that the UV treated flies do?

gut - Having never tried Fabric Fusion on something like a surf candy, I couldn't answer about using a drying wheel with it. It is runny enough though.

I mostly use it on wing cases, scud backs, and such. Dry to the touch in about 20 minutes for the thicknesses I do. The drawback to it is that it shrinks down considerably when dry - you have to apply enough to compensate for this, or do 2 or more coats. It's also "self levelling", so what you see isn't what you wind up with, a lot of the time. That's what I like best with the UV coatings - move it around with a bodkin until it's in the shape you want, blast it, and it is done - shape wise.

FF dries smooth to the touch, without any slimy feel like UV stuff. I believe it is more durable than either epoxy, or UV stuff. It's only $5 at Wally World, and worth a shot, IMO.

H.A.

FYI. On a sort of related topic, if you have kids and have the Crayola Glow Station, the light pen that comes with it will cure the Loon products. I use that instead of the little pen light that comes with the Loon kit. Much easier to hold....back to your regularly scheduled debate...

gutcutter wrote:
JohnnyUtah wrote:
If you like epoxy over u.v. resins, Give aleene's fabric fusion a try.

I use both epoxy and UV products, but I am trending back to epoxy more and more these days unless I have only a few flies to finish.

When its first opened, it is as thick as any u.v. resin. The advantage of the product is it is water based. So you can thin it by adding water, or thicken by just leaving the cap off for a bit. When its dry it is not sticky or slimy. It really is great stuff.

With the u.v. cures the sticky or slimy residue is from the curing agents. They need time after the application of U.V. light to evaporate. Extended light times will also help significantly with the evaporation rate and the overall outcome of the u.v. resin.

jayl, did that light work? i see lots ov uv lights on ebay really cheap and didnt know if they would work. are all uv lights created equal? you can buy a uv light from amazon for $5, label it as a fly fishing product and sell it for $30. crazy.

I wouldn't have recommended it if it didn't work. UV is UV. Works like a charm.

Enjoy your $5 present to yourself. :)

You can get good ones really cheap ones on Ebay
.................................Just Saying..................................................

I agree with Jayl. U.v. is U.V. However, not all lights are put out the same amount, just like with regular flash lights, some are brighter. The brighter the u.v. light the quicker it will cure the resin.

Back