Yeah or nay on UV epoxies

troutpoop

troutpoop

I'm considering trying UV epoxy for a few patterns I saw and would like to tie. I really don't need the patterns but the winter is long and gives me something to do.
Any thoughts or suggestions on a brand of epoxy and/or UV light and pros & cons to trying this new addition to the tying table?

Clear Cure Goo is the best option out there
The have kits with lights included
I've been using it for 3+ years

http://www.clearcuregoo.com/

The "hydro" is killer for the smaller applications
the flex makes great baitfish

They are coming out with Clear Cure Goo eyes... check out their facebook page

UV lights are not cheap. I've been thinking about buying one, but I always manage to talk myself out of it.

After posting I did a little looking online and found the Clear Cure Goo and Bug Bond to be the two getting the most attention.

Now that's more like it... $5 for a little light is fine, I just couldn't bring my self to pay $20. Thanks Jay!

Here's a review that one of our members put out. I find it very informative:

http://www.utahsflycorner.com/2011/08/uv-resins-review.html

Well that helped a bunch!! Thanks!!

gaeronf wrote:

I wouldn't trust that link
Pretty easy to tell that he has no idea how to use the product
His results are based on his lack of knowledge of technique and product.

Ramcatt wrote:
gaeronf wrote:

I wouldn't trust that link
Pretty easy to tell that he has no idea how to use the product
His results are based on his lack of knowledge of technique and product.

How in the world do you know that his results were based on lack of knowledge and technique???

Because he didn't use it correctly
And had negative effect because of it

Ramcatt wrote:
Because he didn't use it correctly
And had negative effect because of it

Not trying to get into an actual argument, but it seems a little out of whack to say you know he wasn't using it correctly. Not saying he used it correctly or incorrectly, but unless you were there...

gaeronf wrote:
... but it seems a little out of whack to say you know he wasn't using it correctly. Not saying he used it correctly or incorrectly, but unless you were there...

CCG thin (the product tested) is a self adhering product
once you cure it with the light... you can still cure additional material to it

example: you can build the start of the head... cure it... then use more goo to shape and finish... HENCE the tackiness after the cure... This is useful when attaching eyes... the are actual set off the head of the fly and gives a great appearance.

the fly then needs a quick brush of sally hansens to get a non-tack finish

OR
use one of the CCG tack free products

None of this was done in the test

Like i said he didn't know what he is doing... and got negative results because of it

everyone can have an opinion... its just that his is wrong

Ramcatt wrote:

example: you can build the start of the head... cure it... then use more goo to shape and finish... HENCE the tackiness after the cure... This is useful when attaching eyes... the are actual set off the head of the fly and gives a great appearance.

the fly then needs a quick brush of sally hansens to get a non-tack finish

OR
use one of the CCG tack free products

None of this was done in the test

Like i said he didn't know what he is doing... and got negative results because of it

everyone can have an opinion... its just that his is wrong

For what it's worth, there was a recent discussion on this on another fly tying forum and a large number of people had a similar criticism of CCG. Even the tack free product was noted as being tacky. I guess if you are looking for a product with that quality so you can set eyes or build heads, or if you don't mind offsetting the quick cure time by applying a coat of hard as nails and waiting for it to dry, then CCG might be a great choice. But if you are looking for a product to be used for an application similar to that described in the review in question, then one of the other products might be a better choice.

Ramcatt you clearly are all for ccg. Which is fine. My review doesn't favor any, I just give my honest opinion and finding on the product. I see everyone is talking about price. If you read the review you will find that loon is the best buy.

JU
i have tried them all
I have no vested intrest in any of these products... but CCG is by far the best and has the widest range of products for different applications.
It is also a US based company/product.

While your review may not "favor any" it is poorly done (both in technique and application) and the results are inaccurate

here is a much better test with accurate results from a few years back
http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17908

Listen, im not gonna argue with you. You can say whatever you want about my review. As gearon points out, you weren't there. I will say that my review was done by putting shell backs on nymphs and such, and fishing them. Also loon is u.s. based company.

All my Best
Johnny Utah

Ramcatt. I just reviewed the second link Thanks. But now confused.

Some of these products are marketed towards knots. Am I correct assuming these products have been adapted by creative tyers for flies. Then there are products marketed towards tying exclusively?

It seems from reviewing all the products that CCG has a wider selection of products, more correctly viscosities to assist with different applications. The CCG has a very nice and complete website showing how to apply and dry the products.

FWIW, I use UV Knot sense and it works fine.

troutpoop wrote:
Some of these products are marketed towards knots. Am I correct assuming these products have been adapted by creative tyers for flies. Then there are products marketed towards tying exclusively?

It seems from reviewing all the products that CCG has a wider selection of products, more correctly viscosities to assist with different applications. The CCG has a very nice and complete website showing how to apply and dry the products.

rio and loon had the "UV knot"/ "UV wader repair" products and then jumped to the emerging UV tying applications/tiers started using the products for flies

then there are products that are designed for tying applications... with a range of products for specific applications....
if its a matter of price... there are the cheaper options
but the CCG is far superior when used correctly

like i said... been using the CCG for a good bit of time... and I don't think there is a better product or a company with better customer service ... i just felt the need to point out that the "tier" who was testing was using the product wrong/ using the wrong product for the application and was generally spreading bad info

Back