WTF Exxon!!!!!

Have to agree with you there FlySwatter.

Mike,

Why would you want someone to prove you wrong? What you wrote was brilliant!!!!! I concur and you saved me from having to type which I hate!!!!! Here's a little of what we'll have to face.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/homepage/20110703_Hiking_the_Marcellus_trail.html

By the way, wouldn't it be funny if a bunch of flyfishermen started a recall of the governor????? It's happening to these Republican
buffoons in many states. Why not here?

It's the first I've heard anyone complain about flaring. What is the issue there?

Prof: I want to be proved wrong becasue that would mean the situation is not as dire as I think it is. Also, sign me up for impeachment of our (not so) beloved governor.

Franklin: here is my understanding of the problems with flairing - Aside from the roaring noise all through the night and the huge -sometimes up to 100 foot high- open flame that lights up a normally peaceful night sky, a large number of pollutants are released into the air during the flaring process, making it an undesirable practice. Included in these airborne pollutants are the chemicals used to frac the well, as well as any of 5-dozen other pollutants including the following: acetalhyde, acrolein, benzene, ethyl benzene, formaldehyde, hexane, naphthalene, propylene, toluene, and xylenes. Not all of these are burned off in a flare and the air can have a putrid odor that fills the small valleys

Couple months ago the so called ecologists were complaining that the wells were not flared. If gasses are just released into the atmosphere the pollutants are much worse than any results of flaring. I think you will find that flaring does a good job of burning these off.

Franklin,
The complaints about flaring have been relatively common in NCPA since the practice began, it is not your so called ecologists, but locals who do not like having 50-75 foot high flames burning nonstop for weeks on end, and it is loudn deafening at night.

I don't know if flaring is bad from the environmental stand point, but for people who have to live near it, you cannot simply ignore it, nor should you have to. The need to flare could be eliminated if companies were willing to invest in a pipeline prior to drilling the wells, but they don't want to make that investment, therefore locals have to live with it. Of course, why should the companies care, you cannot see the lights from Texas where they live.

Windmills or cell towers... Take your pick! I'm with Jdaddy; I'd take the windmills!

Speaking of pipelines - google Tennessee Gas Pipeline 300.

Just this past week I crossed this expansion just north of Waymart where I was blown away by the size and scope of this project. Also saw an excavator sitting in what looked like a wetland.

Then while in the western part of the state I also noticed a noticed a compressor station being built Franklin. Must have been 80 pickup trucks working at this site. Fortuntately the line is following an existing easement. Regardless the project is massive!!

Pipeline upgrades have already started.

This sucks. It is only a matter of time for something to go wrong and really screw up a good waterway for a long time. Gotta love the american-big SUV, huge house, expensive vacation way of life. :(

48,000 jobs in gas drilling related industries added last year in PA. 71% of those were filled by PA residents at average salaries higher than the statewide average. In all honesty, those are just very hard numbers to go up against.

If they are accurate. I have seen more Texas plate than in the rest of my whole life.

your right Tom, lots of texas plates around me now. big white trucks driving 70 mph everywhere. I see Oklahoma plates also.
we're seriously considering selling before the drilling gets too close, but it may be too late. I'm very scared of property values dropping and being stuck here forever or having to just dump the place for a bargain price and count our losses just to get away from it all.

Ryan,

Where do you get your stats? I would like proof.

Also, if you subtract the state government jobs from that total, how many "regular" citizens are left and how much lower is the average salary. I bet if you remove the huge kickbacks Corbet is (allegedly) getting the average is significantly lower.

The only PA resident jobs I hear about around here are truck drivers and unskilled labor. Those TX and OK plates belong to the skilled employees.

I would love to see where those stats came from as well! Pa only added around 65,000 jobs in 2010 statewide..... Sounds like big oil and gas propoganda. Just sayin.

From Pa Dept of Labor and Industry on Gas Drilling

Wages (2010 Q1 to 2010 Q4):
• The average wage across all industries was $45,747
• The average wage in the core industries was $73,150, which was about $27,400
greater than the average for all industries
• The average wage in the ancillary industries was $61,871, which was more than
$16,100 greater than the average for all industries

Unemployment Rate:
• Areas with significant Marcellus Shale drilling activity have seen notable
decreases in unemployment rates
• From March 2009 to March 2011, the overall unemployment rate for counties
with:
? 10 or more wells drilled in 2010 dropped from 7.7 to 7.1 (-0.6
percentage points)
? 1 to 9 wells drilled in 2010 increased slightly from 7.1 to 7.2 (+0.1
percentage point)
? no wells drilled in 2010 remained the same at 7.6

New Hires (2009 Q4 to 2011 Q1):
• 72,000 new hires were reported within the Marcellus Shale core and ancillary
industries (the increase from the 48,000 new hires reported in the last edition of
the Marcellus Shale Fast Facts is entirely due to the addition of nine industries in
the ancillary group and the inclusion of government employment)

The new hires number does get inflated due to seasonal churn.

I agree 100% that the gas/energy indusrty is not good for fishing. However; to beleive that nothing good comes from it is misguided as far as most PA residents are concerned.

They are building a $450 million dollar gas pipe plant along the Ohio river currently.

Just saw this in the paper this morning:

The state Department of Environmental Protection has approved a Washington County company's air-quality permit to build a $150 million natural gas-fired electric power plant at a giant coal refuse pile in Robinson.

It is the same site where the company, Robinson Power Co. LLC, wants to revive plans for a controversial coal-burning plant to generate electricity.

The gas-fired turbine and a heat recovery steam generator would create a combined total of 147.8 megawatts of power. Construction of the natural gas-fired plant could begin by the end of 2011 and be completed within two years.

Natural gas from Marcellus shale reserves that is piped near the 400-acre coal refuse pile would be used to fuel the generating plant.

Read more: State issues air-quality permit for coal refuse power plant - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_745195.html#ixzz1REkTEpQr

vcregular wrote:
Jobs.... Who do you believe?

Marcellus Jobs

I reviewed KRC's analysis. They over estimate the churn by several hundred percent. Using their approach the MS industry would have had a large number of employment five years ago. Common sense says that there has been a large pickup in the past two years. Look at the increased truck traffic, the increased road work and pad construction, and other impacts. If it wasn't picking up you would not have all the people complaining.

Mods may want to move this to Conservation section at some point so it is grouped with related threads.

Flyswatter,

It was from a Pennsylvania Department of Labor report in May, as reported in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette or maybe the Tribune and other newspapers I believe. I actually saw it in a copy of the latest Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs publication, they mentioned the it originally appeared in the other papers.

Jobs are jobs my friend and residents are residents. I have no idea what you mean by "regular" citizens?

Back