Woven bodies...

BountyHunter

BountyHunter

For those of you that tie woven body flies I am curious what is yout favorite matl. to weave? This is a technique I am going to push myself to become proficiant at and am looking for some pointers. Thanks in advance.

I've done a few, use embroidery floss. Seperate the strands if its too thick.

gfen wrote:
I've done a few, use embroidery floss. Seperate the strands if its too thick.
Do you even want me to touch this, or do you know your in the wrong now?

Weave whatever you please! Floss is good, wire, chenille, dubbing brushes, ostrich herl/plumes, etc.

I second the embroidery floss. Your local fabric store should have it
I think the brand is UMC?? But its cheap and is sold in small bundles like shoelaces and it comes it every color under the sun.

I usually tie beadheads in sizes 8-12 on straight and curved hooks. 3 strands should work but you will have to experiment if you go bigger or smaller. I have had good success with brown/orange, Olive and orange, Brown and Yellow/Amberish color ribbed with copper wire and spiky hairs ear fur head.

send loum a pm, he's a master at it.

Embroidery Floss. Weaving a body is not that difficult once you get the hand of it.

Embroidery floss is good but anything that won't break will work , try a combo of embroidery floss and thin swannundaze. Chenille and floss and herl etc.

Uni-floss ribbed with small ultra wire. The Uni floss is spooled so you can use it in a bobbin which makes weaving much easier.

woven extended body

Attachments

• ext bod gr.JPG
    ext bod gr.JPG
    583.8 KB · Views: 2
Wow Lou..............that fly is a thing of beauty!

I guess that proves Sandy IS a great teacher....lol.

Yeah ; He taught me everything I don't know.

LouM wrote:
Yeah ; He taught me everything I don't know.

Bring that to fly tying night. I'll take some pictures and put it on my WEB site.

I have some pictures of some Czech nymphs with woven bodies. I want you to show me how to tie em. I'll bring material to tying night.

Yea Lou bring that fly to tying night ,so I can copy it uh I mean look at it :lol: :lol:

I donated that to our banquet under a glass dome and I think it went for around $60.00 or so. I may have another that I will bring if I can find it.

Damsel and stonefly

Attachments

• Damsel & stone.JPG
    Damsel & stone.JPG
    578.1 KB · Views: 2
Lou had some problems in the beginning, but I straightened him out. He was using two left hands at first and trying to weave from the side..

That woven dry fly is a piece of work. Well done.

Does something like that float? I wouldn't fish it, but I am wondering if it'd even be fishable.

If you dress it with enough floatant it will float in the film like a paradun. Those fan wings will make it spin like crazy and really screw up your tippet. It's really more for show.

Where do you get the empty spools to wrap the embroidery floss on? Are they just left-overs from when you finish a spool of thread?

Back