Wish the PFBC would

Agriculturally speaking, raising only RT would be a bad move. Monocultures are never the way to go unless you like playing with (biological) fire.
At the very least we shouldn’t be raising brook trout in the current hatchery setups.

Much less likely to see disease that afflict our native trout species if we’re not raise native species in our hatcheries.

Not all stocked streams receive this kind of pressure and harvest, especially these days. Those in the “rural” classification receive the least pressure as a group and that’s where many of the stocked wild trout streams are located.

Just because a stream is in a rural location, doesn’t necessarily mean that the angling pressure is low.

Take kettle creek for example. There are many days when the number of anglers is three and four times the number of people that live in the township. I’ve counted 250+ cars along the stream on my way home from work some weekends.

Many people travel here just to fish our streams, but I can promise you, no one is buying a seasonal camp because of its proximity to Pennypack Creek.

Just because a stream is in a rural location, doesn’t necessarily mean that the angling pressure is low.

Take kettle creek for example. There are many days when the number of anglers is three and four times the number of people that live in the township. I’ve counted 250+ cars along the stream on my way home from work some weekends.

Many people travel here just to fish our streams, but I can promise you, no one is buying a seasonal camp because of its proximity to Pennypack Creek.
That’s why I said “as a group,” meaning on average across the state for stream sections classified as “rural.” ( in comparison to urban, metro, and suburban.classes). Additionally, rural sections with a high amount of public riparian ownership would be expected to receive better usage than those with private, unposted riparian lands.

Last edited:
Your heart is in the right place, but I ain't buying this.
Actually, I had forgotten that it worked twice in Codorus Ck, York Co. First as I described above and then a second separate time in a section that was being stocked farther downstream. We did the stocking modification in that second section as a result of the success in the first section that I previously described in #9 above. The second section became Class A as well via a reduction in stocking frequency and a shift to only RT stocking, and that was without any regulation modification. So you can tack that on to the positive result (stocking modifications alone pushing lower BT biomass class of stream section into the Class A biomass class) in Blymire Hollow Run and the apparent success in Leibs Ck., although the Leibs Ck eval survey was delayed long enough that I can only say “apparent” in that case. Regardless, it became Class A, stood the test of two evaluation surveys, both of which showed it to have gone to Class A, and then was immediately removed from the stocking program.

Back