Wildwood/Cape May NJ - area Early October

tjsingle

tjsingle

In Wildwood for a wedding first weekend of October, any worthwhile fishing down that way? I figured I would bring a fly rod and try the surf potentially.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Any worth while fishing???? It’s the only time of year to be on a NJ beach. Early October is the start of the fall striper fishing season Although it seems to be starting later each year. This is fishing at its best. I hope you have a 9 or 10 wt.

If it’s a decent year class this year, then nine to thirteen inch bluefish will be present as well as some fifteen to eighteen inchers mixed in from previous years. Flounder will be out of season, but will be present. Mostly sublegal stripers will be present in the surf, in inlets, and around bridges…and most areas in low density. Best fished at dusk, night, and first light. If you are extremely lucky, you could run into an early migrating pod of stripers and you would be even luckier if you could reach that pod with a fly rod or spinning rod. Mullet and bunker will be on the move close to shore so anything is possible.

Last edited:
Any worth while fishing???? It’s the only time of year to be on a NJ beach. Early October is the start of the fall striper fishing season Although it seems to be starting later each year. This is fishing at its best. I hope you have a 9 or 10 wt.

That’s good to hear, I was kinda thinking it was early for striper at least. I’ll bring my 9wt and have a go at it. I’ll be up in Maine two weeks prior and plan to get some striper fishing in as well. I haven’t had a ton of experience with saltwater on foot, almost exclusively on a boat, so that’s encouraging.

If it’s a decent year class this year, then nine to thirteen inch bluefish will be present as well as some fifteen to eighteen inchers mixed in from previous years. Flounder will be out of season, but will be present. Mostly sublegal stripers will be present in the surf, in inlets, and around bridges…and most areas in low density. Best fished at dusk, night, and first light. If you are extremely lucky, you could run into an early migrating pod of stripers and you would be even luckier if you could reach that pod with a fly rod or spinning rod. Mullet and bunker will be on the move close to shore so anything is possible.

Nice, thank you for the info. I probably have at least two mornings that I’ll be able to get out there. I’ll bring my 9wt and see what happens!

That’s good to hear, I was kinda thinking it was early for striper at least. I’ll bring my 9wt and have a go at it. I’ll be up in Maine two weeks prior and plan to get some striper fishing in as well. I haven’t had a ton of experience with saltwater on foot, almost exclusively on a boat, so that’s encouraging.
it’s definitely early as mid November has been really good lately but you never know. There will surely be some there but will they be in the surf? That’s the big unknown. If the baitfish are in the surf the blue fish will be there and the stripers will be there. Good luck.

it’s definitely early as mid November has been really good lately but you never know. There will surely be some there but will they be in the surf? That’s the big unknown. If the baitfish are in the surf the blue fish will be there and the stripers will be there. Good luck.
Thank you, I'll post a report once I get back!

Back