Wild Trout in the Tully

salmo

salmo

I believe that this may have been asked before but are there stream bred trout in the Tully?

I believe that this may have been asked before but are there stream bred trout in the Tully?
Dear salmo,

Born and bred in the Tully, or dropped down from tributaries? If we generate enough traffic on this thread I'm sure Mike K will chime in. He is the man who would know.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

There's positively wild trout in the Tully from the headwaters down to Myerstown. I've caught more than a few.

Below Blue Marsh I'm not sure sure, but I imagine there are wild fish from various sources.

There are wild fish below the dam, for sure. Whether they come and go from a couple tribs or actually spawn in the main branch is an answer I will leave to others...
20201120_133855-COLLAGE.jpg

20201120_140123-COLLAGE.jpg

The Cacoosing definitely has wild browns, even before the dam was taken down. Now there should be even more.

I saw some pics of wild fish from cacoosing prior to the damn being taken down as well so hopefully this will increase the wild fish pop.

I learned to fly fish on the tully, havent fished there in 10 years or so now

There has never been any evidence of BT or RT reproduction from surveys within or below the DH Area and none would have been expected due to summer water temp impacts on gametes. If trout reproduce in the Cacoosing stream channel formerly inundated by the impoundment, then there will likely be some more wild BT within the near-by stretch of the Tully. Plum Ck may produce a few wild fish too at times, but the cool stretch of that stream is only 100-150 m long and has very warm water mixed with spring water in swirling density currents that I’m not certain fully mix to a uniform temp before entering the Tully.

Last edited:
Wild fish are definitely present. I've caught a few. I'd imagine they come from one of the natural repro streams that feed the tully.

Wild fish pictured above were below the special regs section in late November when I was supposed to be targeting stockers to give the wild ones a chance to spawn....

This was 2020. I may not have been there since, honestly, as I don't frequent this crick much anymore, but I have seen plenty of wild fish caught by Scott Major in his videos. I would also concur that when I did fish the Tully from Cacoosing on down more frequently, I would say that 1:15 feels about right.

Before leaving Berks County in 2012, I spent a lot of time fishing the Tully above and below Blue Marsh. I lived on School Lane just off 183. Most of my catch above the lake was near Womelsdorf and there are a lot of stocked trout up that way. Maybe a few wild ones, but a lot of stocked trout.
Below the dam there are also a lot of stocked trout, but as I remember since the mid to late 80's the stocked trout were stocked in the fall as fingerlings, so they are essentially wild trout.
When I first moved there in 1980 they were still stocking adult trout below the spillway, but as I said sometime in the mid to late 80s they started stocking only fingerlings and as far as I know they are still doing that. I haven't fished the Tully since leaving Berks County in 2012, but have made numerous trips back to fish Blue Marsh.

Before leaving Berks County in 2012, I spent a lot of time fishing the Tully above and below Blue Marsh. I lived on School Lane just off 183. Most of my catch above the lake was near Womelsdorf and there are a lot of stocked trout up that way. Maybe a few wild ones, but a lot of stocked trout.
Below the dam there are also a lot of stocked trout, but as I remember since the mid to late 80's the stocked trout were stocked in the fall as fingerlings, so they are essentially wild trout.
When I first moved there in 1980 they were still stocking adult trout below the spillway, but as I said sometime in the mid to late 80s they started stocking only fingerlings and as far as I know they are still doing that. I haven't fished the Tully since leaving Berks County in 2012, but have made numerous trips back to fish Blue Marsh.
No fingerlings are currently stocked on the Tulpehocken.

Stocking of trout in the Tully below the dam is now all adult trout.

Some wild trout may occasionally be caught, likely making their way from Cacoosing and/or Plum Creek into the Tully.

Like I said, it's been a few years since I fished the Tully. So I wasn't sure what they were doing now. I left there in 2012 and haven't fished the creek since then.
But I do have some very fond memories of the trico hatch. Spent many an early morning fishing that hatch.

Back