Wild Tiger Trout

Swattie87 wrote:
3wt7X wrote:
Nice wild tiger!!! They are amazing looking trout and a rare find. Great job doing your homework and putting yourself in position to hook that gem!!!

Technically, and genetically it's only 50% gem. :p

Technically, 50%. 51.2% gemmie if you go by chromosome contribution ;-)

salmonoid wrote:
Technically, 50%. 51.2% gemmie if you go by chromosome contribution ;-)

Haha. Classic.

That's awesome. I fish a ton of streams that have brookies and browns and have never caught one.

I do believe I spooked on though; looked totally different than the brookies I was seeing. I've been back a dozen times, but no success.

Congrats on a rare fish! That one is unusually pretty. I've only seen two in my whole life, one a buddy caught back in the mid 70's and one I caught about 5 or 6 years ago.
The stream I caught mine in has yet to produce a single brown trout. I've never even seen a brown in this stream. There are no tribs to it either.

wt2, I'm pretty sure I know where you caught yours, and I had one brown to my feet there once.

Since nobody said it, I will..... If you posted that this is a true gift from the fish Gods but also posted tha brown trout should be eradicated, shame on you.

These little 51% gemmies would not exist if it weren't for their superior mate getting a little 'jungle fever' during the spawn.

Quote:

...still no bookies from the system though, go figure.

Actually, there are. I catch one every year or so; back in the 90's I used to catch them every trip. They're in most of the tribs.

I know they are in there, I just have yet to catch one. I was just saying it's strange that in 20 years I've caught 1 tiger and 0 brookies, I think the odds of that are slim.

Thanks guys.

pcray1231 wrote:
my "trophy of a lifetime" thus far.

Agreed. Im really not sure whats going to top it, except maybe the next one.

STONEMAN wrote:
Beautiful! Waterproof Camera or phone?

Iphone 5.

Wild tiger- (the holy grail of wilds in PA). Nice.

There is something going on because I have heard about many folks catching them last 2-3 years.

The only wild trout yet to be checked off in PA for me- keeps me very interested in fly fishing.

Wild tiger- (the holy grail of wilds in PA). Nice.

There is something going on because I have heard about many folks catching them last 2-3 years.

The only wild trout yet to be checked off in PA for me- keeps me very interested in fly fishing.

***get the papers**. Jimmy two times

Beautiful fish!! I've only caught stockie tigers. Still pretty cool though, they fight like all hell! Hybrid Vigor!!

That is a magnificent fish. So are the others that were posted. Wild tigers are a thing of beauty. I have caught many stocked tigers, but never a wild. I would love to catch one, that is a special, rare fish.

Good job.

Back