Wild Rainbows in Pennsylvania

raftman

raftman

Hey folks,

I'm wondering if there is a list of streams that support wild rainbows in Pennsylvania. I know a few just from experience, but I wasn't sure if that data exists or if I need to do some data filtering based on the wild trout streams list provided by the state. I caught a ton on my trip up to Vermont this past summer and would like to explore this opportunity in our state.

Thanks!

-Michael

Not really.

There is a class A list, which means the biomass of wild fish is over a certain number. These are our "best" streams. And yes, the list does state which species of trout. So yes, you can use it to find our class A wild rainbow streams.

That list is found here:
http://fishandboat.com/classa.pdf

If there are wild rainbows, but not in high enough biomass to classify as class A wild rainbows, then it'll not be on the above list. It will be on the "trout streams with natural reproduction" list. Unfortunately, this list does not tell you the species. So separating the wild rainbow streams from wild brookie and brown streams that fall in the same category, you're outta luck.

(That said, one thing you can do is look at those class A wild rainbow streams, and target other natural reproduction streams in the same drainage. They are often rainbows as well).

In general, there are a few hotspots in this state where rainbow populations are common. The SC limestoners are the most well known, especially Falling Springs and Big Spring, but also some others. Also the Laurel Highlands - eastern Westmoreland County especially, and these are freestoners. There's a concentration in NW PA around Crawford/Venango Counties. And another in NE PA surrounding the upper Delaware.

Elsewhere in the state, yes, wild rainbows exist, but are much more scattered.

Thanks PCray! I'll take some time this weekend and filter through the Class A list.

Add broadhead and spring to that list.

If you like to see your backing go to the upper Delaware and fish the fast water. The bows up there are pissed off and big.

^ Post above is spreading propaganda. Don't believe the hype ! It's mostly chubs in that frog water up there.

big chubs or little ones?[8wts. or cane poles]

Pcray is correct though, there are several streams with fishable populations, but not high enough biomass to be Class A. Don't overlook some of these steams if you hear there is wild bows, as they may be pretty good.

2 in my area fish pretty decent under this classification, and it varies from year to year but some years there is a good many in them. The trout seem to be rather small though, in these particular streams.

Maurice will know. Rambo Run is listed for York County - a lot of that is private property - is there a section not posted?

Pete,
Cane pole and safety pin material

Lol kray mostly frog water

Thanks fellas! I'll be sure to do some more exploring...

Anyone want to make a trek to the Upper Delaware to catch some big chubs over the Holiday? I'll be leaving from Lancaster...

I was thinking the same if the water temps stay up. All depends if Krampas leave a can of sweetcorn in my stocking. Chubs do love corn. And....... I've seen chubs caught up there tha did break 20" on the tape measure. When they poop on ya, it's like a sausage link.

Good info Pcray. Wild rainbows are the next fish on my list. I was hoping to get into some this year but havent had any luck yet.

I had a buddy fish the west this past week. He had 8 fish on nymohs...water has been getting to upper 40's with this warm streak

Wild bows are quite common here in PA. I attached a pic of me holding an 'average size' wild bow from this summer.

Attachments

• bow.jpg
    bow.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 9
krayfish2 wrote:
Wild bows are quite common here in PA. I attached a pic of me holding an 'average size' wild bow from this summer.

Nightcrawler or Power Bait?

Mullet Fly Emerger developed by Kip Winger.

Back