Beginner looking for info on locations

Clewell_

Clewell_

Hey everyone!

New to the forum and new to fly fishing. Has anyone fished the little Lehigh creek or the Lehigh river in and around Jim Thorpe in the summer months? Was looking at taking a day to visit one of the two but have never fished them in the summer months. Are these some okay locations to hit?

Reactions: Kms
If I were to fish at this time of year I would focus on stocked fish, or bluegills. Especially this year, with the warmer weather and water, trout are suffering thermal stress. Catching and playing a trout could kill it. Catching and keeping a few stockies is fine. Fish early morning or evenings.

I can't offer much on the LL, but as for the Lehigh, extend your foray up to White Haven, you can park at the little strip mall, the trailhead near the hardware store, or at the launch area. Walk down to the river and fish those sections which are heavily stocked. I also believe there is/was a contest going on. If you catch a tagged fish you may win something?

Try terrestrials, attractor patterns, light colored caddis or mayfly patterns. Size 14 thru 18.

Last edited:
If I were to fish at this time of year I would focus on stocked fish, or bluegills. Especially this year, with the warmer weather and water, trout are suffering thermal stress. Catching and playing a trout could kill it. Catching and keeping a few stockies is fine. Fish early morning or evenings.

I can't offer much on the LL, but as for the Lehigh, extend your foray up to White Haven, you can park at the little strip mall, the trailhead near the hardware store, or at the launch area. Walk down to the river and fish those sections which are heavily stocked. I also believe there is/was a contest going on. If you catch a tagged fish you may win something?

Try terrestrials, attractor patterns, light colored caddis or mayfly patterns. Size 14 thru 18.
I appreciate the info. I have been fishing all my life but have just recently started acquiring and trying to use fly gear. This will be my first actual attempt at getting some fish. All the knowledge I can gain is appreciated

I appreciate the info. I have been fishing all my life but have just recently started acquiring and trying to use fly gear. This will be my first actual attempt at getting some fish. All the knowledge I can gain is appreciated
I’m also quite new, welcome! The only place I’ve heard of near there that would be cold enough to trout fish in summer is the Pohopoco below the dam. I haven’t fished there (yet) so that’s the limit of my knowledge.

I’m also quite new, welcome! The only place I’ve heard of near there that would be cold enough to trout fish in summer is the Pohopoco below the dam. I haven’t fished there (yet) so that’s the limit of my knowledge.
Appreciate it! I'm much closer to whitehaven so I may give that a shot as tigereye recommended. Best of luck in your adventures!

I've found some good information by searching the stream reports for a particular creek or county on this forum. (Usefulness can be widely varied.)

Back